login

Author Topic: That One Little Girl's 'Pony' Cartoon that's Slowly Devouring the Internet  (Read 102979 times)

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Re: That One Little Girl's 'Pony' Cartoon that's Slowly Devouring the Internet
« Reply #675 on: November 27, 2013, 05:57:48 PM »
The Nightmare Rarity arc had several doctors at once fighting in Ponyville.

Just read that one, it was fun trying to spot them all.

Re-read issues 1 through 4 just trying to spot as many pop culture references as I could.  Those issues were overloaded with them.  Loved the Bowie lyrics all through the mine.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4515
« Reply #676 on: November 27, 2013, 05:59:52 PM »
Recently, Amy Mebberson (who works on the IDW comic) managed to get a request done by a certain animator
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 06:07:43 PM by The Lurker »

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #677 on: December 02, 2013, 10:05:29 PM »
I really liked the last episode for some reason I can't really put my finger on.

3 good episodes to start the season off...

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #678 on: December 02, 2013, 10:21:33 PM »
I liked it, but was also kind of distracted when I was watching it.  I'll have to watch again, I get the feeling I was missing some details.

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #679 on: December 03, 2013, 06:26:17 AM »
It's the unsettling feeling when you realize that established that Celestia and Luna like to ride wacky slides, but never showed them riding wacky slides.  Feels like a cop out.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #680 on: December 03, 2013, 06:08:21 PM »
It is interesting that Celestia and Luna's castle 1000 years ago was basically what a lot of us would have built if we were insanely rich at age seven.

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #681 on: December 10, 2013, 04:27:12 AM »
Read the "Zen and the Art of Gazeebo Repair" arc over the weekend.  For something so simple, it was incredibly entertaining.  Instantly loved "Shirt-Tales Luna".

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #682 on: December 10, 2013, 03:13:09 PM »
Pft.  She's clearly jealous that her Sister is better.

3 page preview of the Luna micro comic that hits next week is on iTunes, and it looks hilarious.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #683 on: December 16, 2013, 09:05:57 AM »
So the showrunners finally tacked the issue of whether or not Scootaloo can fly with a firm "maybe".

I hope they don't go the disabled route down the road.  In a world where unicorns can sprout wings magically, and Turtles can fly, making a disabled character just seems cruel and spiteful.

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4515
« Reply #684 on: December 16, 2013, 09:20:57 AM »
So the showrunners finally tacked the issue of whether or not Scootaloo can fly with a firm "maybe".

I hope they don't go the disabled route down the road.  In a world where unicorns can sprout wings magically, and Turtles can fly, making a disabled character just seems cruel and spiteful.

With Tank, it's more mechanical, though.   I remember hearing somewhere that it was Lauren's original plan to have Scootaloo be disable.   They probably could get some good moments out of it.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #685 on: December 16, 2013, 11:07:42 AM »
It's just a baby step (filly step?), but that they've at least somewhat addressed the problem is something. It's now been clearly established that other pegasi Scootaloo's age can fly and that she can barely manage a hover (and also that she has a house and isn't homeless. Which is good, because Scoots deserves better than what the fandom throws at her, by and large). I think they could easily make the concept of her never being able to really fly work, since, as we've seen time and time again, she really doesn't need that to be happy. Even Dash said as much, although I haven't decided if it was a dick move on her part to deliver that moral to Scoots while flying over her (in her own room, no less).

I've seen it pointed out on other forums, and it bears repeating: the show seems to be going in real directions this season. We're been through Equestria's history and historical sites, Daring Do was made a real pony (not a decision I particularly like, but there it is), and now the show is at least taking notice of Scoots tiny wings. Again, it's just baby steps, but it's still something. It's also destroying fanon left and right, which is always appreciated.

Meanwhile, love that new song. Babs Seed might be catchier, but this one is just better.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #686 on: December 16, 2013, 01:43:20 PM »

With Tank, it's more mechanical, though.   I remember hearing somewhere that it was Lauren's original plan to have Scootaloo be disable.   They probably could get some good moments out of it.

Her saying Scootaloo was disabled apparently stems from some bronycon security volunteer who claims to have asked her a bunch of questions.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #687 on: December 22, 2013, 09:30:27 PM »
Another one I liked, they are doing quite well this season.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #688 on: December 22, 2013, 09:48:32 PM »
This week's episode was very fun.  Far cry from their last outing with a superhero theme.

Rarity stole the show with her near-instant ability to use her powers.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #689 on: December 23, 2013, 01:09:18 PM »
Yeah, this one definitely trumped everything that Mysterious Mare-Do-Well was trying to do. Can't go wrong with a Golden Age superhero story (or is it some other Age? I'm actually not much of a comics guy, I have no idea).

Plus, I really liked the moral. Not so much the superfriend one, that one's been played for for decades at this point. The "Just because we don't always need your help, it doesn't mean that we don't think you're helpful" one. That's good, very applicable stuff right there, and actually one of my favorites from the show the more I think about it.