login

Author Topic: That One Little Girl's 'Pony' Cartoon that's Slowly Devouring the Internet  (Read 103031 times)

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 458
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
Re: That One Little Girl's 'Pony' Cartoon that's Slowly Devouring the Internet
« Reply #555 on: February 14, 2013, 09:45:28 AM »
It's a spin-off, are the spoiler tags really needed?

Some people would prefer not to know about it at all ever.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #556 on: February 14, 2013, 01:38:33 PM »
It's a spin-off, are the spoiler tags really needed?

Some people would prefer not to know about it at all ever.

I'm not going to suffer alone!

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 995
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #557 on: February 14, 2013, 02:20:53 PM »
Look at it this way, at least you know about next season being My Little Walrus and won't be blindsided by it , unlike those who didn't read the spoilers.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #558 on: February 15, 2013, 11:13:26 AM »
Anyone else read the comic books? I picked up the first three issues the other day (with no regard to choosing covers, because as cool as some of them ar,e I won't be driving myself nuts shelling out extra cash to buy the "rare" ones. Just gonna avoid that whole can of worms, thank you very much). The art is splendid, and while I haven't had a chance yet to read more than a few pages, the heart, humor, and soul of the characters and show seems very well represented. Definitely something to look into if you haven't.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 458
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #559 on: February 15, 2013, 03:51:39 PM »
Anyone else read the comic books? I picked up the first three issues the other day (with no regard to choosing covers, because as cool as some of them ar,e I won't be driving myself nuts shelling out extra cash to buy the "rare" ones. Just gonna avoid that whole can of worms, thank you very much). The art is splendid, and while I haven't had a chance yet to read more than a few pages, the heart, humor, and soul of the characters and show seems very well represented. Definitely something to look into if you haven't.

And the tone is more adult than the show; there are more references and sardonic bits.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #560 on: February 15, 2013, 04:52:12 PM »

And the tone is more adult than the show; there are more references and sardonic bits.

Indeed. The Blues Brothers and Invasion of the Body Snatchers stuff right off the bat pointed me in that direction. Glad to see they really knew their audience for these things.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #561 on: February 15, 2013, 08:01:43 PM »
I've been enjoying the comics so far.  Depending on how you like them, I really think the CMC have stolen the show for the first 3 volumes, along with Chrysalis.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2667
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #562 on: February 15, 2013, 08:08:29 PM »
Anyone else read the comic books? I picked up the first three issues the other day (with no regard to choosing covers, because as cool as some of them ar,e I won't be driving myself nuts shelling out extra cash to buy the "rare" ones.

Just went to the IDW website and got the ones that are available as digital comics, pretty good drawings, interesting story so far.  Haven't looked at a comic book since the 70s...

Oh, and the digital copies have all the covers.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #563 on: February 15, 2013, 09:36:33 PM »
Anyone else read the comic books? I picked up the first three issues the other day (with no regard to choosing covers, because as cool as some of them ar,e I won't be driving myself nuts shelling out extra cash to buy the "rare" ones.

Just went to the IDW website and got the ones that are available as digital comics, pretty good drawings, interesting story so far.  Haven't looked at a comic book since the 70s...

Oh, and the digital copies have all the covers.

True, but when it comes to comics, I always prefer the real deal. It's like books, it's always nicer to flip the pages than flip through a digital inventory.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #564 on: February 16, 2013, 08:00:41 AM »
Pretty good episode today. Can't imagine it'll play any sort of larger part in shaping the path the show takes as a whole, but hey, still good.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #565 on: February 16, 2013, 09:20:44 AM »
Alright episode.  The princess thing was pretty clearly tacked on, and really wasn't needed.  The episode otherwise was great.  Especially liked the Celestia song.

Wonder where they go from here.  Seemed pretty clear that this episode was made as a series finale before they found out they were getting S4.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #566 on: February 18, 2013, 11:28:49 PM »
Alright episode.  The princess thing was pretty clearly tacked on

The thing they have been hinting at since episode 1 was tacked on?

Too much singing for my taste, and once we saw one pony get back to normal the others were a bit redundant. 

Guess we will see what they come up with for princess and pals adventures next season, hope they don't do too many fish pony out of water and clashing cultures episodes.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #567 on: February 25, 2013, 10:53:13 AM »
So there were some tidbits from the Las Pegasus Unicon over the weekend about the actual before the enite con imploded due to piss poor finance management resulting in even guests getting kicked out of the hotel from their comped rooms because of lower than expected turnout and numerous other screw ups.

The finale apparently went though a lot of rewrites.  The more I hear about it, the more I'm convinced that the writers always planned to level up Twilight, but that the big coronation was a Hasbro mandate.

Anyways, most of the tidbits came from the Danial Ingram panel (man behind the pony music)

A lot of things changed about the episode in production. For example, Daniel originally wanted to look into how the mane six's cutie marks changing changed history, complete with a song! It was cut due to time, but just imagine if Pinkie had grown up on Sweet Apple Acres or if Rarity always did the weather for Ponyville!
    Twilight originally got her wings during the first Elements of Harmony blast. The wings would appear followed by a commercial. Instead, they used the "celestial dimension" space that Twilight met Celestia in.
    Daniel had a huge amount of work for the finale on his shoulders due to it being a musical. Much of the original was modified. He mentioned that he shut himself in his house for a week, writing a song each day!
    The end of the episode originally featured Twilight singing about her new wings to the tune of the show's theme.
    Everyone on the show wanted it to be a 2 part episode (if not more!), but they were very happy with the outcome and how they handled the challenge of such a plot-heavy episode with music.
    Hasbro and the show team really wanted to do a musical episode. At first, there was talk of making episode 12 a musical, as Daniel worried about making such a story-heavy episode mesh in tone with how happy the songs tend to be.
    "What My Cutie Mark is Telling Me" has a hidden reference to "Art of the Dress" during Applejack's section
    The hardest song for him to write for the finale was either "True True Friend" and "What My Cutie Mark is Telling Me," due to how complicated the topics of the songs were.
    Favorite song in Season Three: a split between "What My Cutie Mark is Telling Me," "Find a Way (full version)," and "Celestia's Ballad."
    Celestia's song was originally longer and dealt with her history.
    He envisioned Celestia's song as a parent watching a child grow up and mature.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #568 on: February 25, 2013, 11:35:29 AM »
The finale apparently went though a lot of rewrites.  The more I hear about it, the more I'm convinced that the writers always planned to level up Twilight, but that the big coronation was a Hasbro mandate.

The huge coronation did seem out of proportion, but you've got to remember they do want to sell toys with the show.

But I guess it could be justified if it's been something like 1000 years since the last alicorn.  Time is a bit funny on the show, Celestia is what, 2000+ years old, I can't remember if Luna was trapped in the moon for 1000 or 2000 years.

Celestia's song was originally longer and dealt with her history.
    He envisioned Celestia's song as a parent watching a child grow up and mature.

That would have been nice.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #569 on: February 25, 2013, 11:44:16 AM »
The huge coronation did seem out of proportion, but you've got to remember they do want to sell toys with the show.

But I guess it could be justified if it's been something like 1000 years since the last alicorn.  Time is a bit funny on the show, Celestia is what, 2000+ years old, I can't remember if Luna was trapped in the moon for 1000 or 2000 years.

Anyway, that is some interesting info. It always sucks when a show is pressured for rewrites like that, especially when they had half the episodes they usually had for the season overall (so there's already less time than there should be). I would've liked that song about Twilight and her wings as sung to the main tune.