Author Topic: That One Little Girl's 'Pony' Cartoon that's Slowly Devouring the Internet  (Read 102772 times)

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
Re: That One Little Girl's 'Pony' Cartoon that's Slowly Devouring the Internet
« Reply #495 on: December 16, 2012, 06:54:05 PM »
WAIT! Wait wait wait wait...there's a character named Big McLargehooves?!

Much (but not all) of the fandom refers to him as one of the David Ryder names.  Big Mclargehuge (or hooves) has just become the most popular. 

http://bronibooru.mlponies.com/post?tags=big_mclargehuge&searchDefault=Search

That...had some seriously fucked up artwork...

Up until recently, I had always heard him called Roid Rage, but I think his official name is Snowflake.

And that's awesome about Dr. Hooves.

Snowflake was just the name the mlp fan wiki voted on, and they excluded Big McLargehooves because it was referencing MST3K for some reason.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 458
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #496 on: December 19, 2012, 10:57:15 AM »
So at—sadly—the halfway point of the season, let's take a look back and assess. Here's my take:

*The Bad*

- Character polarization. We've started to see this, especially in Rarity. In order to facilitate punchier writing, she and Fluttershy have been amplified. For Fluttershy, this means dramatic mood swings more often (almost smacking those crystal ponies; threatening Twilight in Magic Duel). For Rarity, it's heightened vanity and drama.

Fluttershy and Rarity happen to be my two favorite of the mane 6, and that's in part because I do love their respective schticks. But I also love them for being multidimensional—Fluttershy summons great ferocity when the situation demands it, and Rarity is occasionally quite generous (I'm told that's her element, in fact). In season 3, Fluttershy has almost become a Jekyll and Hyde parody of herself, and Rarity's already rarely displayed generosity is nowhere to be found.

Here's hoping they each get their own episodes in the second half of the season to balance out their characters.

- Only one standout song. The failure song didn't grab me at all, and the crystal ponies song was just okay. That leaves only Babs Seed, which is of course very catchy, but I'm still hoping for something that compares with Art of the Dress or Winter Roundup or At the Gala or Finding a Pet or This Day Aria etc. etc. etc...

*The Neutral*

- So-called "fanservice." I see a lot of people whining ("whinnying"? can we make that a thing?) about DHX selling out to the fans by incorporating fanon into the canon. Things like Trixie's return, Scootaloo being tutored by Dash, Pinkie being crazy (like that wasn't already established). Stop and think "why not?" I'm in agreement that there is such a thing as too much crowdsourcing, but sometimes the fans actually do have good ideas. And more importantly, sometimes they have ideas that coincide with where the show is actually heading. I think some fans get so wrapped up in the episodes that were out when they fell in love with the show, that they become hardened against any change.

- No more letters to Celestia. I'll admit that I missed the letters that weren't sent at the end of Magic Duel and Wonderbolts Academy. I thought it would have been especially cool if Trixie had sent one herself (although, now that I think about it, Celestia was actually just a few yards away). In seasons 1 and 2, the letters wrapped up each episode and summed up the lesson succinctly, but you know what? I'm over it. These characters have grown past that stage of their lives, and I think the show has grown past it too.

At any rate, we as an audience are getting different kinds of "lessons," some of which are not as easily summarized. Too Many Pinkie Pies was mostly about character development for Pinkie (even she can be made sober by the threat of being separated from her friends), with no lesson more interesting than "be careful what you wish for" or some garbage. Babs learned not to let fear of ridicule change you into something you're not; did we really need a letter explaining that? As I think about it, the change in lessons can for the most part be summarized by saying they are less universal and more individual.

*The Good*

- The humor. Friendship is Magic always had a sharp sense of humor that often played off of its established universe by, for example, having normally sweet and benign characters crack in unexpectedly graphic mental breakdowns. The sense of humor hasn't exactly changed in season 3, but it seems like they've tightened the screws on the writing; the timing is fresher, and there're more jokes per episode. I mentioned the downside of this in the Bad section, but even if there are unfortunate side effects, it is funnier.

- Character development for Pinkie Pie! It's great that the funniest episode of the entire series also gave some more depth to a seemingly one-dimensional pony.

- Change. It's a mark of a good series for it to evolve over time. There's always pressure from fans to keep everything the same, but a good series will press on anyway.

- The details. From Rarity's spluttering reaction to Rainbow Dash's dismissal of the Crystal Empire (to be fair, Tabitha St. Germain is always spot-on); to some priceless faces, some of which are only briefly visible; to all the little flourishes that make the animation especially outstanding; DHX continues to prove that good is in the details.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 11:05:49 AM by Asbestos Bill »

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #497 on: December 19, 2012, 11:10:08 AM »
Yikes, that was long...  Not sure I agree with some points but I'm not going to comment, I've decided not to analyze this show.  Just watch it and enjoy it when it's good.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #498 on: December 19, 2012, 12:39:22 PM »
I've decided not to analyze this show.  Just watch it and enjoy it when it's good.

Not a bad policy. Some of this stuff was in response to some people who were over analyzing it and being dramatic about the show being ruined. So this was partially an attempt to put some things in perspective by at least over analyzing the good and the bad :P

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4512
« Reply #499 on: December 19, 2012, 03:53:24 PM »
I really don't think its ruined.  It seems more like it's going through a transition.  This is the first Season that Faust hasn't been involved in.  Also, about your point with Fluttershy, even back in the Season Two, it seemed like she can be assertive when motivated.  Though, in the example, she was motivated by concern over their safety.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #500 on: December 19, 2012, 04:05:20 PM »
I really don't think its ruined.  It seems more like it's going through a transition.  This is the first Season that Faust hasn't been involved in.  Also, about your point with Fluttershy, even back in the Season Two, it seemed like she can be assertive when motivated.  Though, in the example, she was motivated by concern over their safety.

Which point about Fluttershy? It sounds like we agree.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #501 on: December 19, 2012, 04:06:23 PM »
I'll give a response then, at least to a few comments.

The "Bad" points about the characters I somewhat disagree with, Rarity especially. Fluttershy's a tricky case, since (despite being Best Pony), she's had some pretty extreme-yet-basic personality sides from Frame 1. Her frightened, shy tendencies are really what define her, with a side helping of "bravery when really, really, really necessary (i.e. not quite Magic Duel, since they also could've sent Spike to do that job. Or a raccoon with a note tied around its neck) and slight anger issues (which didn't pop up until the Season 1 finale). I wouldn't say she's become more extreme (Jekyll and Hyde and all that), but more that she's just what she's always been. Admittedly I would prefer some growth to stick here, but dammit, it's Fluttershy. She is what she is, and we love her for it so.

Rarity is a bit more interesting, since I always argue she's the most rounded and deep character on the show. She's got her generous side (naturally), while also her "succeed in a small business", along with "get into high society", along with a massive ego (only countered by said generosity), and plenty more. I think she's just been a lot more subtle about it as of late, especially since she spends so much time in both "good" and "bad" parts of her personality. She's more than just her Element, basically. Sleepless in Ponyville is actually a great episode for her, because it showcases a lot of these personality sides (especially her relationship with Sweetie Belle, which is always a good focal point). She whines, but still goes along with her sister. She makes her do work, but then immediately takes her off the work duty when someone else offers to help (not exactly the best thing "overall" to do, but she doesn't hesitate at that point to shift the load. And at the end she relishes the idea to just have fun with her sibling. She's a complex individual, no matter which end of the moral spectrum she seems to be sitting on, and I quite like that.

As for Pinkie, I'd say we've been getting a good amount of development on her for a while (outside her massive abandonment issues). The baby episode in particular was a lot of growth for her, showing that there are times when responsibility isn't all fun and games. The clone episode does it good too, and I agree with what you say there, but my point is it's not the only time. It's just the sort of thing that gets buried a lot beneath her hyper base personality (that's something to consider for all the ponies, really. How they act normally is how they act normally, it's their actions in crunch situations that really stand out more. They don't have to have those crunch attitudes all the time, though. That's just unnecessary).

As for the fanservice people... I've seen those complaints too, and I'm not really sure what these people want. The Trixie and Scootaloo episodes where far and away the best of the season thus far, and felt very organically set up. Scootaloo's especially, since she'd A) never had her own episode and B) been acting that way towards Dash for two seasons. About time she got her due. They're good ideas that normally wouldn't be minded so much, but since this is an obsessive fandom that's already thought up "everything" in fanfic and art, any time an idea is used that we already considered, we seem to assume it's fanservice.

Other than that (well, save maybe for the fact that I love the Crystal Fair song, though really wish it was longer. Babs Seed too), I pretty much agree with what you have to say.

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
« Reply #502 on: December 19, 2012, 04:47:50 PM »

Which point about Fluttershy? It sounds like we agree.
It was mostly about the Magic Duel mention under the Character polarization part.  As for the fanservice/pandering, I've heard complaints about that, too. The ones people have mentioned mostly seem coincidental.  Plus, the staff really can't read fan fiction for legal reasons.  I don't really see anything wrong with having recuuring characters. Considering Luna is Celestia's sister, she can't be ignored for too long.  If anything, it actually seems to have less fan service than last season.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #503 on: December 19, 2012, 04:58:33 PM »
The Trixie episode was in the works originally to be a season 2 episode, so the planning would have been done before season 1 ever finished.  Scootaloo having some relationship with Rainbow Dash was natural progression of her character.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #504 on: December 22, 2012, 07:13:58 AM »
Get the eggnog ready and take a drink everytime "Apple" is said in todays episode.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #505 on: December 22, 2012, 02:10:48 PM »
I was really, really hoping the final few seconds of the reunion would've included Applejack talking to Apple Bloom and saying something like "Sure was a fun day. Oh hey, there's Mom and Dad."

No finer way to mess with the bronies.

Also, possibly the most simplistic non-Pinkie song of the show (in terms of lyrics).

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
« Reply #506 on: December 22, 2012, 03:09:05 PM »
Yeah, I was hoping they'd finally answer the question in this episode and bring closure on the matter, but it was still a solid one.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #507 on: December 22, 2012, 03:28:04 PM »
Folks over on Reddit have a theory that this episode confirmed that the parents are, in fact, deceased: http://www.reddit.com/r/mylittlepony/comments/15a5ol/spoiler_i_think_this_pretty_much_sums_up_the/

In short:

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
« Reply #508 on: December 22, 2012, 07:30:18 PM »

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks