Author Topic: That One Little Girl's 'Pony' Cartoon that's Slowly Devouring the Internet  (Read 102914 times)

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
Re: That One Little Girl's 'Pony' Cartoon that's Slowly Devouring the Internet
« Reply #480 on: December 08, 2012, 03:52:16 PM »
Who would have thought that Rairty would end up being the jerk, and Rainbow Dash would be nice.  Even before the end, RD was trying to be nice to Scootaloo the entire episode.

The only real complain I have was Luna's inclusion.  Don't get me wrong, it was a great bit for the episode, but I think it would have been better if AJ had talked to Scootaloo about facing her fears.  She needed something to do this episode, and she's shown that she's the best at handling and understanding kids.  Luna felt a little tacked on.

Also, Sweetie Belle is going to get her Cutie Mark in emotional Blackmail.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4514
« Reply #481 on: December 10, 2012, 08:43:31 PM »
I just knew someone was going to make certain cross-over/mash-up after seeing this episode.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #482 on: December 10, 2012, 09:00:57 PM »
I just knew someone was going to make certain cross-over/mash-up after seeing this episode.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I may have to use that for an avatar next time I riff a nightmare movie.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #483 on: December 15, 2012, 11:07:10 AM »

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 458
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #484 on: December 15, 2012, 04:39:38 PM »
I really liked the episode. Not as much as some others this season, but it was a solid episode. I really liked both Lightning Dust and Spitfire 1.2—I want to go back and look at her previous scene(s) to see how she changed, but I think she was both rarely seen and fairly aloof, so I don't think her new character is too much of a stretch. As for LD, I liked that they reigned her back compared to Gilda; she was a bit of a jerk, but that was the worst of her crimes. This kept the episode about Rainbow and her character development.

I like to think Spitfire wasn't as either unaware or uncaring about the recruit endangerment / escalating recklessness as she seemed, but that she was seeing how RD would handle it.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #485 on: December 15, 2012, 04:51:57 PM »

I like to think Spitfire wasn't as either unaware or uncaring about the recruit endangerment / escalating recklessness as she seemed, but that she was seeing how RD would handle it.

It seemed to make it clear at the end that that was not the case.  It would have made more sense if she had, but she thought the tornado was a great idea, until being told the consequences.  Kind of hurt the episode to have RD teach the Wonderbolts a lesson.

Was nice to see Big McLargehooves again.

Also, Cloud Chaser is tired of saving Fluttershy.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
« Reply #486 on: December 15, 2012, 05:00:05 PM »
It's likely it was an issue of her not knowing the full story.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5900
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #487 on: December 15, 2012, 06:24:21 PM »
WAIT! Wait wait wait wait...there's a character named Big McLargehooves?!

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #488 on: December 15, 2012, 06:35:56 PM »
Sadly a fan name. But who knows, I don't know of the official name of that guy, so anything's possible (we got Derpy (briefly...) and Dr. Hooves in some respect, after all).

Anyway, I dug the episode well enough, though some of it was odd for me. I will admit that it played very against my expectations, as I was seeing one of two things happening before the episode started. Either Dash would get there and find her cocky attitude didn't match up with the skills of everyone else, and she was totally outclassed (which actually wouldn't work too well, seeing as she is legitimately skilled and, despite all her cockiness, works her tail off at being so skilled. She's earned where she is), or that she would get offered a more permanent position on the team, and have to choose between staying or going back to Ponyville with her friends. The episode ended on an odd note that sort of brushed aside the latter, but since it was stated to only be a week-long thing (possibly an early initiation of some kind, the pre-academy academy if you will), I can live with that.

I liked Lightning Dust a lot, since she's basically Dash without the loyalty. Was nice to see that they got along at the start (a rivalry was inevitable, but it was good to know it wasn't immediate. And that Dash was better technically, but that LD was, as Spitfire pointed out, better at truly pushing her limits). Spitfire's attitude was a weird one, but I'll ignore past-episode contradictions on the grounds that when she's on the job, she's a real hardass. As is to be expected. She did seem fairly reckless too, but as was pointed out by Rainbow Dash (ours, not the shows), she didn't exactly hear all the details (note that in-show RD left out the fact that she and LD lost control of the tornado). So a good Dash episode overall, and a nice little reminder that she is, at the end of the day, the element of Loyalty.

Still, some of it didn't work. The scenes with the rest of the group were padded like crazy, and while it was good to see where it eventually led, it felt quite superfluous for most of the episode. So a solid enough episode overall, and one that I'm stunned they didn't get to sooner (both in terms of a truly Dash-being-a-Wonderbolt story and of Dash-gets-a-rival story), but a step down from the previous two Grade-A entries.

Meanwhile:

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #489 on: December 15, 2012, 07:17:13 PM »

Much (but not all) of the fandom refers to him as one of the David Ryder names.  Big Mclargehuge (or hooves) has just become the most popular. 

http://bronibooru.mlponies.com/post?tags=big_mclargehuge&searchDefault=Search

Sadly a fan name. But who knows, I don't know of the official name of that guy, so anything's possible (we got Derpy (briefly...) and Dr. Hooves in some respect, after all).

His official name is Time Turner.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5900
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #490 on: December 15, 2012, 07:50:33 PM »

Much (but not all) of the fandom refers to him as one of the David Ryder names.  Big Mclargehuge (or hooves) has just become the most popular. 

That...had some seriously fucked up artwork...

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #491 on: December 15, 2012, 08:00:28 PM »

Well it's clearly supposed to be a joke character.  All he ever does in the show is scream "YEAH!"

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
« Reply #492 on: December 15, 2012, 08:10:35 PM »

Well it's clearly supposed to be a joke character.  All he ever does in the show is scream "YEAH!"
I think he was referring to the link you just posted, not the character.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #493 on: December 16, 2012, 04:39:42 AM »

His official name is Time Turner.

Normally yes, but I believe that was changed: http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/07/doctor-whooves-officially-named-dr.html

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 458
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #494 on: December 16, 2012, 09:14:24 AM »

Up until recently, I had always heard him called Roid Rage, but I think his official name is Snowflake.

And that's awesome about Dr. Hooves.