login

Author Topic: That One Little Girl's 'Pony' Cartoon that's Slowly Devouring the Internet  (Read 102718 times)

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
Re: That One Little Girl's 'Pony' Cartoon that's Slowly Devouring the Internet
« Reply #450 on: November 10, 2012, 04:29:26 PM »

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #451 on: November 10, 2012, 04:46:47 PM »
Not as good as the S2 premier, but5 it was a fun solid episode.

Yeah. The villain wasn't that interesting, but it had a lot of good character moments.

Even more than uninteresting, he was basically a non-presence. He just sort of happened, in the sense that he was there and he was evil and then he was stopped.

I'm a bit torn on the openers, and it will actually depend on where the season goes from here that really decides how it will hold up. Because on the one hand, it's a big adventure episode that introduces a brand new, totally unknown land and stakes in the first scene, then has it all wrapped up and moved on from 40 minutes later. It's attempting for a grand scope, but it all just feels slight, mostly because it's trying to pack a lot in (and spends most of the first episode on party-planning). It feels like it wants way too much, and as a result it doesn't really deliver or have any real heft behind it.

On the other hand, as you said, there are a number of excellent character moments. I liked that the whole cast was given stuff to do for the party, and constantly featured doing. Pinkie pretty much killed it with everything (especially the Fluttersuit. Ditto Fluttershy's reaction to it seconds later), and as overpowered as Twilight is, her powers are always a treat to watch. That gravity bit was fantastic. Speaking more dramatically, while Twilight's "worst fear" was fairly predictable, I admit Spike's rather got to me (the quick shot of his tears went a long way).

Finally, the brief line about taking Twilight to the "next level of your studies" line and that black book Luna takes out at the very end definitely raise some intriguing questions, and touches back on what I said before about where this season decides to go having a factor in how the premier stands the test of time. If they really decide to do an actual arc with Twilight (or at least have it come up a few more times), that will definitely be something cool. It's quite obvious Twilight is the most gifted non-royal magical user in Equestria (all the other unicorns have basic levitation as the max of their abilities, it seems), and it's about time they really started to address that. Even if her super powerness keeps driving the fic writers up the walls finding ways to justify weakening her.

Anywho, I liked it, but I didn't love it (and a good bit of excitement came from the "Yes! New ponies!" aspect of it all). The next few episodes, from what quick flashes I saw of them in the commercials, look pretty interesting though (especially the one next Saturday). Going to be fascinating season, for sure 8)

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 458
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #452 on: November 11, 2012, 11:41:58 AM »
Not as good as the S2 premier, but5 it was a fun solid episode.

Yeah. The villain wasn't that interesting, but it had a lot of good character moments.

Even more than uninteresting, he was basically a non-presence. He just sort of happened, in the sense that he was there and he was evil and then he was stopped.

You know, though the discussions I've had about it elsewhere, I've actually come around on that. I think his character design was poor in that it made people expect him to be, you know, a character. But I don't think he was ever really supposed to be a character, but rather something more along the lines of fear incarnate. Actually, his name would suggest that he is more accurately a ponification of depression. The only way to keep him at bay is the emitting of positive energy, which is eventually exhausting if you're doing it alone. You need friends working together to really do the trick.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #453 on: November 11, 2012, 12:15:51 PM »
Oh and this has nothing to do with Crystal Empire, but Quirk and I made this shirt:

http://www.redbubble.com/people/asbestosbill/works/9573743-propane-and-propane-accessories-are-magic

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #454 on: November 11, 2012, 12:26:16 PM »
You know, though the discussions I've had about it elsewhere, I've actually come around on that. I think his character design was poor in that it made people expect him to be, you know, a character. But I don't think he was ever really supposed to be a character, but rather something more along the lines of fear incarnate. Actually, his name would suggest that he is more accurately a ponification of depression. The only way to keep him at bay is the emitting of positive energy, which is eventually exhausting if you're doing it alone. You need friends working together to really do the trick.

I've seen this defense a few times since I typed up my bit, and I can certainly see where it's coming from. The trouble is that the show doesn't seem to be quite sure where it wants to go with him. It designs and designates him as an actual character, but then he keeps acting more like that oppressive force (I've seen a couple folks refer to him as a pony Sauron). Though I like the interpretation you came up with, the point still remains that Somber wasn't nearly as well executed as he could've been (I think he might've actually be improved by removing all his lines and keeping him totally silent. When he speaks, even if it's just a little bit, that right there drags him back to pony character territory).

Also, love that shirt.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #455 on: November 11, 2012, 03:02:33 PM »
For the first time I'm watching a recent episode, woo!

Overall, I liked it.  I got the Sauron feel right away from Somber, right down to his presence extending from between two dark spires of crystal.  I agree that he would have been better without any lines.  If you aren't going to have any kind of banter (and really, you can't top banter from John DeLancie in season 2 anyway) then making him silent would have made him seem stronger.  Compare it to the episode of the Masters of the Universe reboot that showed Hordak.  He didn't say a word and barely even moved, and in moments was firmly established as the biggest badass in that show's run. 

I'm glad we're seeing more of Luna as time goes on.  I was kind of frustrated with season 1 that she seemed forgotten throughout everything.  Even now, she hasn't figured in much outside of the Nightmare Night episode other than to show up to remind us she's still here.  I'm getting a vibe, especially with the opening of this season and the look she gave Twilight as she left, that she's going to be more important from here out.  Maybe this next stage of Twilight's training will be under her tutelage?  With a name that implies the space between night and day it'd be symbolically fitting to learn from both sisters.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 03:05:44 PM by RoninFox »
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #456 on: November 11, 2012, 03:17:14 PM »

Every now and then you come across a problem you can only solve by throwing your wife at it.

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #457 on: November 11, 2012, 08:44:12 PM »

Every now and then you come across a problem you can only solve by throwing your wife at it.

Alternatively:

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5896
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #458 on: November 11, 2012, 08:48:23 PM »
This is the first thing that comes to mind when I see that clip:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mhJEpa-Gb2I" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/mhJEpa-Gb2I</a>

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 14
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
« Reply #459 on: November 12, 2012, 03:59:59 AM »
Anyone playing the MLP Gameloft game?  It's pretty fun (kind of like SimCity for ponies). Nightmare Moon is the villain, so it's kind of a rehash.  Here's a review, kind of:

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2012/11/quickadvice-mlpfim

I'm sure I'll get bored of it soon enough, because it looks like Rainbow Dash is going to cost actual money (or lots of leveling). 
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #460 on: November 13, 2012, 09:20:59 AM »
I think I got my sister-in-law hooked last night.  Turned on "Its About Time" and she started coming around and seeing the awesome.  Before I knew it we'd watched like six episodes and she was the one picking most of them.  By the time she watched "The Best Night Ever" and saw Fluttershy's "YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE ME" breakdown she was laughing her ass off.

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #461 on: November 13, 2012, 10:42:08 AM »
I think I got my sister-in-law hooked last night.  Turned on "Its About Time" and she started coming around and seeing the awesome.  Before I knew it we'd watched like six episodes and she was the one picking most of them.  By the time she watched "The Best Night Ever" and saw Fluttershy's "YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE ME" breakdown she was laughing her ass off.

Ah, the sweet sweet warm fuzzies that a new conversion always brings 8)

The time will come soon for her to pick Best Pony, of course. Luckily she seems to be leaning towards the correct answer (re: Fluttershy. Fluttershy is Best Pony).

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #462 on: November 13, 2012, 12:03:11 PM »

Ah, the sweet sweet warm fuzzies that a new conversion always brings 8)

The time will come soon for her to pick Best Pony, of course. Luckily she seems to be leaning towards the correct answer (re: Fluttershy. Fluttershy is Best Pony).

She also seems partial to Pinkie Pie though.  Myself, I'm torn between Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash.  Two opposite ends of the spectrum, both resulting in great stories.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 03:09:49 PM by RoninFox »

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #464 on: November 15, 2012, 03:09:01 PM »
Eeyup, it's taken hold.  My sister in law now watches MLP when I'm not even around.  Success!  Another recruit in the ranks.

gum.co/RFTthing