login

Author Topic: That One Little Girl's 'Pony' Cartoon that's Slowly Devouring the Internet  (Read 102831 times)

Invader_quirk

"Mmmystery", "Luna Eclipsed" and "Dragon Quest" are I think the only ones I don't like.

Coragale

Luna Eclipsed is the shit, and I had no problem with Mmmystery. Bad taste, sir. Bad taste.

Invader_quirk

The resolution of Luna Eclipsed was lame. "We're scared of you, but we like to be scared!" Still pretty damn dickish to flee from her without telling her that.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2659
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
The resolution of Luna Eclipsed was lame. "We're scared of you, but we like to be scared!" Still pretty damn dickish to flee from her without telling her that.

Uh, first, it's a show for little kids, and second, for the most part it was little kids running away from her.  The fact that Luna didn't "get it" was done pretty well I thought.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 458
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks

Uh, first, it's a show for little kids, and second, for the most part it was little kids running away from her.  The fact that Luna didn't "get it" was done pretty well I thought.

Shows for little kids can't be lame? I've seen it done. Seriously, though, compared to the rest of the series, it was on the lame side. It was one of the episodes that felt like a little kids' show.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185

Don't hear people like The Mysterious Mare Do Well too often. Most of the time, people call it the worst episode of the series. I just thought it was okay.

My problem with "Mare Do Well" was that everyone acted like a jerk.  Rainbow Dash got a big head, and certainly needed to be shown some humility, but rather than talk to her, they all troll her and then brag about themselves.  it just felt really out of character.  In the end they all come out looking worse than Ranbow Dash ever did. 

I had a similar problem with "MMMystery on the Friendship Express", as it seemed out of character for anyone to ruin the cake when it meant so much to Pinkie and the Cakes.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage

Shows for little kids can't be lame? I've seen it done. Seriously, though, compared to the rest of the series, it was on the lame side. It was one of the episodes that felt like a little kids' show.

My point was about saying they were acting like dicks, that's ascribing grown up characteristics to little kids.  Little kids act like that all the time because they don't know better and don't understand things, not because they are "dicks".  Adults are supposed to understand that but Luna didn't.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 10:55:44 PM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Invader_quirk

My point was about saying they were acting like dicks, that's ascribing grown up characteristics to little kids.  Little kids act like that all the time because they don't know better and don't understand things, not because they are "dicks".  Adults are supposed to understand that but Luna didn't.

It's been a while since I watched it, but I was pretty sure all the ponies were scared of her. It wasn't just children. It was the whole town cowering, and that's what seemed dumb when it was revealed that everybody was just pretending essentially. I was expecting the point to be about putting the past behind you and not letting what somebody used to be like keep you from seeing what they're like now, which would be a great message, but instead we got something more like "being scared can be fun!"

Coragale

It's been a while since I watched it, but I was pretty sure all the ponies were scared of her. It wasn't just children. It was the whole town cowering, and that's what seemed dumb when it was revealed that everybody was just pretending essentially. I was expecting the point to be about putting the past behind you and not letting what somebody used to be like keep you from seeing what they're like now, which would be a great message, but instead we got something more like "being scared can be fun!"

Pretending? Not really. They WERE scared of her. You'd be scared if the Man in the Moon came down and started Nazi-ing up the place. Pinkie was instigating everything by shouting things at inopportune times. It's the kind of thing that people go through to play Amnesia, or go to (good) scary movies. It's fun to be scared, and they didn't MIND it. Pinkie is the only one who knew that she wasn't actually doing anything. Nopony else.

Invader_quirk

See, that's the thing. It's only fun to be scared if in the back of your mind you know you're safe. If you're actually frightened for your life, it's not fun. If these ponies were actually scared, they should have resolved that, but they didn't. What you leave with is nothing, because there is nothing to be taken from the episode. It isn't true to life or human nature and is kind of pointless (aside from a few laughs).
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 07:06:04 AM by Invader_quirk »

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
You're still focusing on the "fun to be scared" part, focus more on the "Luna is a few thousand years out of touch" parts of that episode.  And the fact that it's Twilight that understands that Luna isn't going to deal with it well.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 458
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
What you leave with is nothing, because there is nothing to be taken from the episode.

This is the main thing. It was a throwaway episode. If it had been half as long, it would have been okay.

It also doesn't help that "Luna Eclipsed" is totally eclipsed by "Lunar Slander." (As almost always happens when comparing Friendship is Magic to Friendship is Witchcraft).

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.

To be fair, it's also pretty dickish for the ponies to still be holding that holiday once Luna officially, noticeably returned the year before. Sure, her initial appearance in the night wasn't helping matters, but still...

And for the record, I'm a Dragonshy, Fall Weather Friends, Lesson Zero, Hurricane Fluttershy, and Return of Harmony kind of guy.

Coragale

Too lazy to go back a page, but I'm not sure if I mentioned mine: Boast Busters, Luna Eclipsed(COME AT ME) and Suited for Success.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
1.  Hurricane Fluttershy
2.  Swarm of the Century
3.  Sonic Rainboom