Author Topic: That One Little Girl's 'Pony' Cartoon that's Slowly Devouring the Internet  (Read 102996 times)

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
Re: That One Little Girl's 'Pony' Cartoon that's Slowly Devouring the Internet
« Reply #240 on: February 25, 2012, 05:51:47 PM »
http://kreoss.deviantart.com/journal/Derpy-287023334

A message from an animator. Derpy survives. She just probably won't be named. And remain a background pony.

And yes, the DVD will remain unchanged. Hopefully.

But seriously. This is a background character. The fans who are bitching should shut up. I know I got a bit uncomfortable hearing the voice. Having been around disabled kids a lot, I could tell instantly that it might not gel with those sensitive to the disabled. We older fans need to remember that we don't control the show. Unless there's an episode planned with a positive focus on Derpy and whatever condition she has, it's not right for us to scream and whine about this.

Because then we sound like ignorant children. And that's not what the show is about.

The supremely negative reaction is rather disheartening, considering all the "Love and tolerance" we've branded ourselves with. But it's sort of an understandable gut reaction: that entire scene was something that, for lack of a better term, belonged to us. Whole rest of the show was the whole rest of the show, as usual, but for those few minutes, it was for the Bronies. It was ours, we crafted that, we took Derpy to become the fan mascot. I don't think any of us had any serious expectations that she would stick around as a voiced character in future episodes (she does work best as a background nod; I think m favorite recent appearance was of her in the snowglobe), but it was still nice to get that little treat. And now it seems to be gone, or at least rescinded in a way that takes that magic back (and, from a practical standpoint, really disrupts the flow of the scene). And then our reaction is such that it puts us in a bad light and takes away chances of ever getting such little nods again.

It's a mess all around, and I say that as someone who didn't even think about the mentally disabled thing until people started pointing it out (do I need to play my personal credentials here? I'd really rather not). I just saw her as Derpy being Derpy.

None of the above is meant in a hostile way, by the way, since I largely agree with you (especially that last sentence; can't stress that one enough), and the animator's statement was a good nerve-calmer :)

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4515
« Reply #241 on: February 25, 2012, 07:17:21 PM »
The editing didn't seem to be very thorough.  You can still see her classic eyes in some frames

Offline Raefire

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 571
« Reply #242 on: February 29, 2012, 04:19:56 PM »
Hopefully this finally puts the whole Derpy flutter to freaking rest - from the writer of the episode: http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/02/amy-keating-rogers-response-to-derpy.html

Offline Raefire

• Not Hurt By Pain

Offline Raefire

• Not Hurt By Pain
Loved the Pinkie ep - haven't watched the new Fluttershy ep yet...

In the meantime, we got another future episode synposis:

Title: Season 2 Episode 23 - Ponyville Confidential
Air Date: March 31, 2012
Summary: The Cutie Mark Crusaders start a gossip column under the name Gabby Gums, but find it might not be worth the pain the stories cause other ponies.

Offline Raefire

• Not Hurt By Pain
Rumoured Season finale synopsis!

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/03/rumor-season-finale-synopsis-twilight.html

Not everything is rainbows and gumdrops in this two-part special that finds unicorn Twilight Sparkle digging up a wedding shocker as her brother Shining Armor prepares to get hitched.

...brother?

Well, actually, yeah...That star on the cutie mark does look similar.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

I'm all for them expanding on the cast's family. Whatever it takes to get them to give us an explanation for Applejack's parents and Scootaloo's whatever-she's-got.

Offline Raefire

• Not Hurt By Pain
I'm all for them expanding on the cast's family. Whatever it takes to get them to give us an explanation for Applejack's parents

I'm still wondering if that coffin in Hearts and Hooves Day was to prepare us for a possible explanation on the parents. I mean, Faust did say this a while back:

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/12/lauren-fausts-animation-faq.html

Q:  Where are Applejack's parents?

To put it bluntly, we just never figured it out.  I just liked the feeling of them living with their Granny, but keeping the family dynamic tight and small.  To be honest, I would like to simply say that they passed away somehow, but it's just too sad for a kids' show and I don't think it would have ever been approved.  There was brief discussion of them being traveling salesponies or explorers, but since we never needed the information in an episode, nothing was ever made official.  So it will have to remain a mystery until someone decides to define it.

With the show so popular now, the Education and Information tag being taken off of it with season 2, and the slight more leeway the staff has, I wouldn't be surprised if they did an episode about AJ's parents being dead now. I mean, they could argue that there are a lot of their target audience who've lost one or both of their parents, and that if handled right, mentioning something like that could make for a powerful episode.

Or they could just say "Hey, Disney kills a parent all the time, and the kids don't seem to mind. Harry Potter's parents are dead, too."

Either way, as sad as it is, I kinda hope that's where they lead us. Again, if done right, something like that could probably be one of the best episodes of the series.

Offline David

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 48
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4igWjESBpsg" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/4igWjESBpsg</a>
This is why I'm a fan of My Little Pony.  8)

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
There's like half a dozen Star Trek episodes that this could be based on...

Please be a MA Larson episode.

Offline Raefire

• Not Hurt By Pain
"Is there some kind of epic pony war going in the future?"

You hear that? That's the sound of all the fanfic writers squeeing.

Whooves better make a cameo in this episode...Even just walking by in the background.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 03:55:17 PM by Raefire »

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
Equestria is neat and time paradox free!

Offline Raefire

• Not Hurt By Pain
Upcoming episode announcement:

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/03/episode-announcement-mmmystery-on.html

Title: MMMystery on the Friendship Express
Air Date: April 7, 2012
Summary: A cake Pinkie Pie is guarding for a contest is ruined on the way to Canterlot and an investigation begins.

This better have David Suchet as a guest star.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

Equestria is neat and time paradox free!

Loved this episode. Time-related/changing-your-fate stuff always makes me giddy.

Also, this marks at least the second Twilight episode that's about teaching her not to worry about things she can't understand or change. I think somepony's trying to tell her something.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
I'm now convinced that Cerberus is Luna's pet.