Author Topic: That One Little Girl's 'Pony' Cartoon that's Slowly Devouring the Internet  (Read 85059 times)

Offline Cosmic Muse

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
  • Dragon of Light
Okay, now you've done it! I watched the first episode of this show and i just can't stop the urge to watch more! Why, oh why did no one listen to Twilight Sparkle?
Being a genocidal maniac is not one of my turn ons.

Is it weird to hear the Safety Dance in my head watching Game of Thrones?

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
Well, all the other ponies in town *are* crazy...

Offline AvestheFox

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
  • The Fox Hath Spoken!
    • The Bullock Gallery
I just got a weird notification stating that this topic had been split or something... yet I dont see what it was split into o.o

what exactly happened here?

Offline TTYT

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 4
I just got a weird notification stating that this topic had been split or something... yet I dont see what it was split into o.o

what exactly happened here?

Mods deleted a spammer post.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
Okay, now you've done it! I watched the first episode of this show and i just can't stop the urge to watch more! Why, oh why did no one listen to Twilight Sparkle?

I liked the Onion AV club review.
http://www.avclub.com/articles/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic,55168/

Offline AvestheFox

• Big Montana
  • The Fox Hath Spoken!
    • The Bullock Gallery

I liked the Onion AV club review.
http://www.avclub.com/articles/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic,55168/

An awesome review indeed!

though most the comments there are so bitter and hateful... :P

Oh well, not everyone's gonna like the show.

Online Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked: 3863
  • Now you're playing with power!
That's why you don't read the comments.  Same goes for Youtube.

Offline AvestheFox

• Big Montana
  • The Fox Hath Spoken!
    • The Bullock Gallery
As of yesterday (May 27, 2011) the entire Internet shat rainbow colored bricks!

It seems Hasbro and The Hub has finally acknowledged the entire brony fanbase in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTPqjKk_xCo&feature=player_embedded warning: extremely girly and may cause you to puke rainbows and hallucinate cute frilly pink hearts floating around your room (or office).

So why all the hype over this video? In the lyrics have the words 'bronies' (twice) and 'DJ Pon 3' which are both words originating from the internet fandom.. the word 'brony' originally came from 4chan from the /co/ boards starting as '/b/rony' and 'DJ Pon 3' was a fan-made name to the DJ Pony from Episode 14 'Suited for Success' (I could be wrong) ... So the mention of those two words alone has caused the fandom to completely spazz out.

The video was sent to Equestria Daily (a FiM Fan blog site) as an exclusive aimed at the fandom. You can find out more information here: http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/05/extended-equestria-girls.html#comments

it also seems that video is quickly becoming a kind of meme and also a new kind of Rick Roll... (aka Pony Rolled)

The full video will be aired on the hub after their family movie time (they're playing Garfield the Movie of all things.... ) and there may be more shout-outs to the brony fandom.

Just posting this bit of information here to anyone who's actually interested B)

Offline Relaxing Dragon

I was one of the ones super excited to see that clip the other day. It's very excited that Hasbro is taking into account the more aged members of the fandom. Can't wait for season 2!

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
I hope they don't do anything other than these minor references and shout outs.  I'll be disappointed if they start trying to change the show to appeal to the new fanbase, I like the show as it is now.

Never pander to the fans, they're idiots.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

Very true, especially for a show like this. Still, I'm not too worried, as it's still a kids show (and the largest audience is still, believe it or not, little kids), so they know what level to keep things at.

Offline Cosmic Muse

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
  • Dragon of Light
You know, I think I, a 38 year old white female, have developed a liking of this show. As you know, my generation grew up with the original My Little Ponies cartoon which was your typical 80's overly sugar coated saccharine affair. It was truly vomit inducingly girly with no sense of reality whatsoever. I just watched Transformers or GI Joe instead. All the ponies were basically your typical Friendship Speechifying, Goody Goodies with no real personalities to them whatsoever.  But this newest incarnation, it seems to have some kind of brains behind it. Compared to the 80's cartoon all the ponies are quite distinct, and more identifiable. To me all of their personalities are pretty much appealing in that they're very genuine and distinct. Plus the humor is completely self aware of the sillier things that the old 80's show was rife with, like Pinkie Pie always breaking into song, which is more or less addressed with disbelief.
Being a genocidal maniac is not one of my turn ons.

Is it weird to hear the Safety Dance in my head watching Game of Thrones?

Online Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
You know, I think I, a 38 year old white female, have developed a liking of this show. As you know, my generation grew up with the original My Little Ponies cartoon which was your typical 80's overly sugar coated saccharine affair. It was truly vomit inducingly girly with no sense of reality whatsoever. I just watched Transformers or GI Joe instead. All the ponies were basically your typical Friendship Speechifying, Goody Goodies with no real personalities to them whatsoever.  But this newest incarnation, it seems to have some kind of brains behind it. Compared to the 80's cartoon all the ponies are quite distinct, and more identifiable. To me all of their personalities are pretty much appealing in that they're very genuine and distinct. Plus the humor is completely self aware of the sillier things that the old 80's show was rife with, like Pinkie Pie always breaking into song, which is more or less addressed with disbelief.

You watched the old show?  Do you remember the story arc with the bees?  Cause I'm trying to make sure it wasn't all in my head.

Offline AvestheFox

• Big Montana
  • The Fox Hath Spoken!
    • The Bullock Gallery

You watched the old show?  Do you remember the story arc with the bees?  Cause I'm trying to make sure it wasn't all in my head.

This looks like a job for YOUTUBE!!!1111

okay... okay... I couldnt find an actual episode but I did find this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_EaSnIF1Mg is this anywhere near what you were talking about? o.o its... uh... trippy

Online Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnno.  What I'm talking about is from way back in the 80's.