login

Author Topic: That One Little Girl's 'Pony' Cartoon that's Slowly Devouring the Internet  (Read 103465 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2680
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: That One Little Girl's 'Pony' Cartoon that's Slowly Devouring the Internet
« Reply #525 on: January 27, 2013, 03:07:40 PM »
So, best Spike episode?  I've been kind of meh about most of the episodes centered around Spike, but this one was good.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4531
« Reply #526 on: January 27, 2013, 03:30:28 PM »
I liked it, but it almost felt like a retread of Spike's Season Two episode, though not as hazardous for him and the town.

Offline Pyramid Head

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #527 on: January 27, 2013, 11:23:27 PM »
So what, is no place safe from this show?  Don't get me wrong, it's not that bad but having watched all of it to this point because i write reviews for it, it really does go to show just how bad TV is these days when a half-written toy commercial gets labelled a masterpiece because there's fuck all else to watch.  Plus i feel sorry for John De Lancie and Tara Strong who have been getting really bad roles lately.

...ah what the hell.  Previous episode?  Boring, could have been worse, there were only minor instances of character betrayal and a little revenge by Zecora who i imagine was pissed off at the second instance when someone forgot a lesson from an episode she was in, but any screen time featuring the stupid kid characters can get to be physically painful for me.
And no, i'm not joking on that least detail.  I have been given splitting headaches by Sweetie Belle.  If only there was an episode in which she dies horribly.
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #528 on: January 28, 2013, 03:47:02 PM »
It's only being labeled as a masterpiece by the obsessives who don't know any better (or who refuse to believe otherwise). Still, even among all the great cartoons on TV today (and there are several), this show is pretty good. To call it a "half-written toy commercial" is just being unnecessarily dismissive.

As for the episode, not bad. It's nice to see more Spike-centric stuff, and I'm always in favor of some nice, simple slice-of-life stuff. That said, this one did ring a bit dull to me. Also, I'm still pretty confused about Equestria's economic policies, since it seems like these gems (the one that Spike eats like candy and that can be found under a few feet of dirt pretty much anywhere) are worth quite a lot.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #529 on: January 28, 2013, 05:43:12 PM »
Gentlemen, say goodbye to those hearts.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #530 on: January 29, 2013, 04:25:07 PM »
Those of you who don't like spoilers, well...

just abandon the internet now.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #531 on: January 30, 2013, 09:41:21 PM »
I tried to hold out, but I already had an inkling of what was coming a few weeks ago. And then a couple posts from a Brony group on facebook essentially confirmed it, so I said "well nuts to this" and just started reading what was announced.

This is... big. Very big. Mess-up-a-whole-lotta-fanfics big. Just gotta wait and see as to how well it plays out.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 995
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #532 on: January 30, 2013, 10:09:51 PM »
So what, is no place safe from this show? 

Nope. I've seen gun forums discussing ponies.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #533 on: January 30, 2013, 10:15:59 PM »

From what I understand, a number of Bronies are into guns as well.

Like so:

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2680
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #534 on: January 30, 2013, 10:21:13 PM »

Offline Pyramid Head

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #535 on: January 30, 2013, 11:15:55 PM »

That honestly doesn't surprise me.  While bronies are mostly harmless if a little annoying there's a bizarre tendency for bronies to gather around conspiracy theories or conservative bullshit.  I think a stand out moment for me was when a brony with a Rainbow Dash avatar tried to argue to me that misandry was a bigger problem than misogyny.  Nothing quite makes you roll your eyes and consider castrating the person you're chatting with than hearing that person complaining that white men have it tough.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 995
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #536 on: January 31, 2013, 12:57:38 AM »
Pyramid, it honestly depends on the forum.  While some conservative sites like the ponies, some despise them. There was a fairly heated argument at Brietbart, for example, a while back on whether or not bronies were good for society. And on the other end of the spectrum, while DU seems to be rather "meh" on the show, I've seen other sites where the classist  struggle between the various pony races are actively argued about and the anti-patriarchial nature of pony society is praised. Hell, the online fandom basically started from 4-chan which doesn't really map well into either left or right US politics.

They're all over the place. I wouldn't read anything more into it than that. And now for something completely different- a waterskiing squirrel.

Offline Pyramid Head

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #537 on: January 31, 2013, 02:05:07 AM »
Pyramid, it honestly depends on the forum.  While some conservative sites like the ponies, some despise them. There was a fairly heated argument at Brietbart, for example, a while back on whether or not bronies were good for society. And on the other end of the spectrum, while DU seems to be rather "meh" on the show, I've seen other sites where the classist  struggle between the various pony races are actively argued about and the anti-patriarchial nature of pony society is praised. Hell, the online fandom basically started from 4-chan which doesn't really map well into either left or right US politics.

They're all over the place. I wouldn't read anything more into it than that. And now for something completely different- a waterskiing squirrel.

Honestly knowing a website that was once run by a piece of shit who targeted a major charity for political reasons hates bronies makes me less hostile towards them.  That said a recurring theme among some of the praise and attacks involves giving the show way too much credit.  Saying it has any form of deeper meaning?  The show is only half-written to ensure that as much money can be squeezed out of it as possible, any undercurrents not related to the asinine moral of the day is either extremely rare, accidental or imagined.  You can have a bit of a laugh with the idiotic conspiracy theories but still, brony zealots are annoying.

And now because i don't like being sober while talking about MLP, something to take my mind off of it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 460
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #538 on: February 01, 2013, 10:51:56 PM »
I'm sorry you were raised in a culture that makes a currency of dismissal, but your money's no good here.

Offline The Bacon Princess

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #539 on: February 08, 2013, 04:50:32 PM »
Don't know if anyone reads the comics, but they just released the new variant cover image for the 4th one:

It looks pretty cool.