login

Author Topic: That One Little Girl's 'Pony' Cartoon that's Slowly Devouring the Internet  (Read 85060 times)

Offline Raefire

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 571
I think the fanartists have gone too far...

You haven't seen the Dead Space universe crossover pics, then.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 961
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!

Courtesy of Know Your Meme

(I was looking up info on Tourist Guy there.)

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
I think the fanartists have gone too far...

You haven't seen the Dead Space universe crossover pics, then.

Some of them are quite awesome: http://cdn0.knowyourmeme.com/i/000/104/744/original/DeadSpace.jpg?1299737355

Though as far as crossover pics go, I think I like this one best: http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=pony+repo#/d3i407h
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 05:07:10 PM by Relaxing Dragon »

Offline Relaxing Dragon

Offline Relaxing Dragon

Better one, in that it's actually (apparently) official advertising that will go up on LA billboards:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Glad to see Hasbro is continuing to fully embrace the alternate fandom to this show.

Offline Scribblesense

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 2
  • I use every color in the box. At once.
Better one, in that it's actually (apparently) official advertising that will go up on LA billboards:

Glad to see Hasbro is continuing to fully embrace the alternate fandom to this show.

I don't see why. They're not the ones buying toys.

Or are they?
"Hey, you kids! Those boxes are for shipping! Not for creating a world of pure imagination!"

Offline AvestheFox

• Big Montana
  • The Fox Hath Spoken!
    • The Bullock Gallery

Or are they?

have a little waltz through this board on Ponychan: http://www.ponychan.net/chan/merch/
and then when your done read through this section of EqD: http://www.equestriadaily.com/search/label/Toys

In short, yes. Bronies are buying Pony related merchandise.

Offline AvestheFox

• Big Montana
  • The Fox Hath Spoken!
    • The Bullock Gallery
Oh, and Adult Swim recognized the fandom last night in one of their commercial bumpers.

Apparently we're more or equally as creepy as furries and the word "moist"

Now we just need to get Mike Nelson and gang to comment on how creepy we are. lol

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185

There's something very wrong with Rarity's head (or lack of neck)

Offline Relaxing Dragon

Or are they?
Well, I did just order these: http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HLP29657 :)

And the common sentiment I see is that we're more than willing to buy stuff from them, they just need to supply stuff that actually looks like the current ponies do (like the set above). The vast, vast majority of the toys and merch is the older-style pony bodies and whatnot, with color changes for the new cast. Which aren't even always right (I believe they have a purple Celestia). One of the things I really like about the current show is the art style (I find the older generations to be pretty ugly and borderline creepy), and Hasbro really needs to start going with it in their wares.

And ponies will never be creepier than furries, try as they might ;)

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain

And ponies will never be creepier than furries, try as they might ;)

Bronies would just form another main branch.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 961
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Woot! Still just one layer below John Ringo!

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain

Offline daltysmilth

• Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
Just watched the first episode.  One thing I'm struck by is how much the characters are like characters in a fantasy story that was written with a more specifically male audience in mind.  Why?  Because most of the principle characters spent little if any time talking about or thinking about the opposite sex.  Consider Lord of the Rings, for example.  In that, the majority of main protagonists, i.e. the Fellowship, are male.  How many times do anyone in the Fellowship even mention females when there are not females specifically present?  Aragorn sings a song about an elf lady, and Gimli pines over Galadriel for a little bit, but only immediately after leaving Lothlorien, and that's about it.  Well, and Gollum mentions Shelob before they meet her, but since Shelob is a spider that eats people, she doesn't really count. 

Anyway, back to My Little Pony, (which is a sentence I never thought I'd ever write), in fact the lead characters don't talk about or do a lot of things that are stereotypically female.  I don't recall any of them mentioning shopping, and there's only one character who talks about things like clothes and fashion and makeup and that kind of stuff, and that's only because she's that kind of character, and probably would be that kind of character even if she were a male.  It's an intelligent, witty fantasy series with a group of strong* three-dimensional non-stereotypical female characters.  I like it, but the cynic in me wonders how long it'll be before the writers are forced to dumb it down and make the characters more stereotypical and shallow, all for the sake of "appealing to a larger audience".

*Even Fluttershy has a sort of quiet strength when she needs it.
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104