login

Author Topic: Re: So what impact do you think $5 a gallon gas will have on the country?  (Read 7990 times)

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 247
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
Re: So what impact do you think $5 a gallon gas will have on the country?
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2011, 03:34:23 PM »
See you don't have answer.  This may come as a surprise to you but you are not king and I have a right to say what I like in my thread.  You kicked me out of one of your thread calling me a troll because I didn't play by your rules now I am kicking you out of my thread.

Go away troll.

Doc -
Quote from: Wikipedia
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[2]

You're the one trolling here. This is your second offense today. Tone it down a notch or I'll have to start banning you.

Danecho1967

« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2011, 03:37:11 PM »
I mean humans are so over populated that we are about 100 years from killing off the planet to the point where it can no longer support life.
You know, my family has a small grove of pecan trees, and, on a good year, we can make a little extra money selling the pecans.  Just this past week, we were discussing the squirrel problem.  You see, squirrels have been decimating our harvest for many years now and nothing we have tried to get rid of them has been successful.  The trees have been producing quite well, but every year there seem to be more squirrels (probably because they are so well fed on pecans) and our harvest has been dwindling.

I don't know about the rest of the planet, but the flora and fawna outside my parent's back door seems to be getting along just fine.

Again, just an observation.

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2011, 03:38:52 PM »
The global over population fear is vastly over stated as, indeed is the One Child Policy. It doesn't apply in the majority of China and the world is not as over populated as neo-Malthusians  (or lazy article writers to give them their proper name;)) would have you believe.

China does well economically, that is they have a large portion of many markets, not because of how it handles it's population, in fact the one child policy applies in the few places where it does due to the fact that many people have moved into those areas for economic reasons (i.e. they're urban areas for the most part).

Yeah, and I've always heard that if you gathered the entire population of the world in one place and stood them shoulder to shoulder, they would only cover an area approximately the size of Texas.  Granted, Texas is a big place, but it's still only a fraction of the usable land on the planet.
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2011, 04:06:59 PM »
I think it might be getting slightly larger than that but yeah not much. People have been screaming about the world running out of room/resources due to overpopulation for centuries, at least since the 18th.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2011, 04:25:34 PM »
Maybe I've just read too much doomsday stuff... But I think the cocern isn't so much population as far as elbow room with your fellow man... It's growing enough crops to economicially sustain them all. A pretty good chunk of the American plains are now fertile farms due to pumping up groundwater that won't last forever. If/when those wells run drym, then the alternative becomes old-fashioned dry farming...  and even with modern bio-engineered crops,  that isn't a good thing for crop yields / prices.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3900
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2011, 04:32:12 PM »
See you don't have answer.  This may come as a surprise to you but you are not king and I have a right to say what I like in my thread.  You kicked me out of one of your thread calling me a troll because I didn't play by your rules now I am kicking you out of my thread.

Go away troll.

Doc -
Quote from: Wikipedia
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[2]

You're the one trolling here. This is your second offense today. Tone it down a notch or I'll have to start banning you.
OH SNAP!! :o :o

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2011, 08:17:50 PM »
So answer me this,how would all you guys who think am am evil deal with the over population problem?

I mean humans are so over populated that we are about 100 years from killing off the planet to the point where it can no longer support life.

How would you deal with the fact that there are way to many people on the planet?

I would barge into message boards, make hysterical rants, and spew a lot of ad hominem.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2011, 08:26:35 PM »
Doc, you seriously need this and this, before you end up here or, worse, here or here after you snap and do something violent.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2011, 08:27:04 PM »
How would you deal with the fact that there are way to many people on the planet?

OMG i just found the best answer.

If they are they are gonna die then they better do it and decrease the surplus population!

Woot big reference.  

Offline CrowTeeRobot

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 19
  • GOOD OLD STALIN DAYS
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2011, 09:56:32 PM »
Doc, you seriously need this and this, before you end up here or, worse, here or here after you snap and do something violent.

Please Doc, it's for your own good.
-Luke

"Most people skip spraying themselves in adhesive and rolling around in crepe hair, but I want to do it right." -Rob, regarding a Zardoz costume

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 995
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2011, 10:42:14 PM »
So answer me this,how would all you guys who think am am evil deal with the over population problem?

I reject every assertion that you've made. The Earth is nowhere near its carrying capacity. Barring pandemic, famine, war or the like (which would cause a massive population drop), the world population is expected to stabilize and then decrease by 2100. The UN in 2008 offered three projections for 2100; the high one -projecting a never ending increase in world population (which aren't borne out by past demographic trends), a medium estimate which shows the world population stabilizing around 9 billion and a low estimate which shows the population decreasing from current levels. Neither the UN nor the Census Dept are showing the 20 billion numbers that I heard projected in the 80s.

Doc, for the love of God, take Thrifty's advice. Get some damn help. A shrink, a pastor, a help line. Something. You're angry about everything all the damn time. It's not normal nor is it healthy. Talk to someone.

• Compsognathus
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2011, 10:46:25 PM »
theres two problems with that compound. 

1) you ignored my wonderful christmas carol reference

2) although your post seems rational you didnt REALLY offer any more evidence than he did.  Although i dont really need any since yours made sense and all that. :) 

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2667
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2011, 11:54:43 PM »
Maybe I've just read too much doomsday stuff... But I think the cocern isn't so much population as far as elbow room with your fellow man... It's growing enough crops to economicially sustain them all. A pretty good chunk of the American plains are now fertile farms due to pumping up groundwater that won't last forever. If/when those wells run drym, then the alternative becomes old-fashioned dry farming...  and even with modern bio-engineered crops,  that isn't a good thing for crop yields / prices.

This really is the problem, the population could expand quite a bit if it stops spreading out and started getting more concentrated in cities, leaving more land for farming.  But that's not what's happening, people are spreading out and farm land is being developed for other uses.  So the question is, with out new farmland how many people could the current system support?  I've never seen anyone give a number on that.

I really hope the predictions for slower population growth due to more women all over the world working more come true.  But the world economy need to do well for that to happen.

That brings us back to oil prices and the damn speculators, the oil price has very little to do with actual supply and demand any more, a good chunk of it is inflated due to speculation on what will happen in 6 months.  Then on top of that the price of gas or heating oil has little to do with actual production cost, it's again inflated by speculation.  Then add the huge state taxes on top of that, how crazy is it that I can drive over the bridge from PA to NJ and the price per gallon drops 30 cents...

Oh well, enough ranting, starting to hear the song from the end of Life Of Brian in my head....

Always look on the bright side of life.......  whistle.. whistle... whistle...

• Compsognathus
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2011, 11:59:30 PM »
That brings us back to oil prices and the damn speculators, the oil price has very little to do with actual supply and demand any more

Now out of everything said THIS is what i would really like some supporting evidence for.  I dont think its really any surprise that gas prices are going up.  Supply in the middle east has decreased thanks to qadaffi (sic) and there is mild unrest in saudi, and a couple of other very important areas (iraq and yemen two nations that effect the straight of hormuz) .   So with this being part of it, what makes you certain that speculation is such a major cause of oil price increases? 

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2667
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2011, 12:39:27 AM »
That brings us back to oil prices and the damn speculators, the oil price has very little to do with actual supply and demand any more

Now out of everything said THIS is what i would really like some supporting evidence for.  I dont think its really any surprise that gas prices are going up.  Supply in the middle east has decreased thanks to qadaffi (sic) and there is mild unrest in saudi, and a couple of other very important areas (iraq and yemen two nations that effect the straight of hormuz) .   So with this being part of it, what makes you certain that speculation is such a major cause of oil price increases? 

Libya is 17th in the world in oil production, a big 2.12%, the other unrest in the mid-east is not reducing production at all, in fact the Saudis said they would increase to make up for the loss of Libya.

So a possible drop in production of 2.12%, no reports of shortages in any of the supply lines, yet the price has gone from around $80 a barrel to over $110, tell me that's not all due to speculation.  The rise is all based on people speculating that there will be some trouble in the future that will interupt supply, not what the supply currently is.