login

Author Topic: Re: So what impact do you think $5 a gallon gas will have on the country?  (Read 7982 times)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3899
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
I have guns so I will just roam the country side, Mad Max style, stealing gas.
Ditto!

Oh, and I caught the oil investment wave then gas hit $3 a gallon so I'm makin me some money in the process 8)

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 293
  • The strongest man.... in the world!
    • The Film Monger
Re: So what impact do you think $5 a gallon gas will have on the country?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 08:32:31 AM »
I have guns so I will just roam the country side, Mad Max style, stealing gas.
Ditto!

Oh, and I caught the oil investment wave then gas hit $3 a gallon so I'm makin me some money in the process 8)

And there's the reason gas is so expensive - speculators.  Oil is a commodity not an investment.

Also, oil "experts" come out every year and say gas is going to be $5 dollars a gallon in the summer so we're relieved when its $4.25 instead.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 08:43:58 AM by Artie »
Yet another movie website - www.filmmonger.com

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 09:10:06 AM »
Oil is a commodity not an investment

So is oj and there are still investors there. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 09:11:37 AM by sarcasm_made_Easy »

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 09:12:01 AM »

Agreed. I've made money and lost money in oil :o

Doctor Who?

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 09:19:04 AM »
If you ask me high oil prices are one of the main problems we have right now.  I think we would see consumer spending go up and unemployment go down if the oil companies were not allowed to just jack up the price whenever they felt like it.

Here is my idea.  Oil is something that we need right now because it's going to be at least ten years before any other fuel is ready for mass consumtion.  so here is what i would do.  Have the government invest at least $1 trillion a year into research into other fuels and make the oil companies pay for it through taxes,unless they agree to limit the amount of profit they make off of the sale of oil to say 15%,and ever executive get his pay cut in half.

The only reason gas prices are high is because the oil companies are run by robber barons who no one has any control over don't care how many people the they in wars or starve when they jack up the prices on whim.  It's time the governments of the world showed these people that they are not gods.  they need to be put in their place.

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 293
  • The strongest man.... in the world!
    • The Film Monger
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 09:20:45 AM »

Agreed. I've made money and lost money in oil :o

Doesn't change the fact that speculators are inflating the price of oil right now.
Yet another movie website - www.filmmonger.com

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 09:21:32 AM »
If you ask me high oil prices are one of the main problems we have right now.  I think we would see consumer spending go up and unemployment go down if the oil companies were not allowed to just jack up the price whenever they felt like it.

Here is my idea.  Oil is something that we need right now because it's going to be at least ten years before any other fuel is ready for mass consumtion.  so here is what i would do.  Have the government invest at least $1 trillion a year into research into other fuels and make the oil companies pay for it through taxes,unless they agree to limit the amount of profit they make off of the sale of oil to say 15%,and ever executive get his pay cut in half.

The only reason gas prices are high is because the oil companies are run by robber barons who no one has any control over don't care how many people the they in wars or starve when they jack up the prices on whim.  It's time the governments of the world showed these people that they are not gods.  they need to be put in their place.
Govt' regulation will solve this (It works pretty good in Mexico) 8)

Doctor Who?

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 09:27:22 AM »

Govt' regulation will solve this (It works pretty good in Mexico) 8)

Excuse me if I don't take your word for it you have a vested interest in seeing the oil companies jack up the price as high as they want.  After all if they jack the price up the $1000 a gallon you will make a fortune.  I am not saying you are a bad person I am just saying that since gas prices going higher helps you your not really going to see the negitive side that those of us who are hurting and not making money off of it are.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 09:30:42 AM »
I am not saying you are a bad person I am just saying that since gas prices going higher helps you your not really going to see the negitive side that those of us who are hurting and not making money off of it are.
Yeah, you are calling me a bad person.. Admit It! :o

I'm just gonna take advantage of the rise in prices to counter the negative aspect of things. Plain and simple 8)

Doctor Who?

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 09:37:08 AM »
I am not saying you are a bad person I am just saying that since gas prices going higher helps you your not really going to see the negitive side that those of us who are hurting and not making money off of it are.

I'm just gonna take advantage of the rise in prices to counter the negative aspect of things. Plain and simple 8)

No I am not i am just pointing out that you don't see the bad side of it because you are not hurting.  That is the way the human mind works,unless something happens to us or someone we know we don't tend to think of it as being that bad.

It's the same as me not being able to see a good side to high gas prices because all they do is hurt me. I was just pointing that out.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 09:42:09 AM »
Hopefully it will also lead to some of the asshole governors getting in trouble for refusing rail money.  Amtrak currently blows goatsl which means nobody rides it, which means it has no money.  Get more riders, more money, and the whole thing will become better.  Trains in Europe were great ways to get around places.  True, we're a lot more spread out, but you could at least get major rail lines operating on their own instead of having to rent the tracks from freight companies and thus having to wait for freight trains to pass.

This is only possible if you can get someone to run a train company in a profitable manner.  I dont think the government is in that position.  I would love rail i just dont think its viable for a lot of places in the US.  LA for one.  Busses though might be a better option.  Revamp our bus system. 

No I am not i am just pointing out that you don't see the bad side of it because you are not hurting. 

Only true if he is making substantially more than the cost of gas.  also if he is transferring his investment to liquid assests to offset the rise. 

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 09:44:33 AM »

No I am not i am just pointing out that you don't see the bad side of it because you are not hurting.  That is the way the human mind works,unless something happens to us or someone we know we don't tend to think of it as being that bad.

It's the same as me not being able to see a good side to high gas prices because all they do is hurt me. I was just pointing that out.
Fine! Then I'll call myself a bad person. ;D

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 09:46:43 AM »
I think speculation plays a part. The commodities market in general has been largely deregulated or was never very regulated at all... and when lots of investors throw tons of money into oil futures, the price is going to inflate. That said, I think there are other issues at hand which just aren't going to be solved via government regulation. We're reaching a point where more and more of the world needs oil for energy. The exporters are keeping more of it for their own growing economies... and they need more and more revenue from oil to keep their budgets balanced, their entitlements funded and their populace content... as we have seen the results of poor, disenfranchised, unemployed middle eastern youths not remaining placated.

Also, getting to cheap oil isn't much of an option as it used to be... Many of the large deposits that everybody banks on keeping our oil based world moving forward are tough to extract... Three miles below the ocean or in shale sands. Even once we start getting to them, they will be more energy intensive to bring to market, again inflating prices.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 09:56:45 AM »
Well, I do the park and ride to work downtown for my daily 1+ hour commute to work, thus saving the nation's valuable resources.

I guess that makes me America's greatest hero.

* strikes Il Duce pose *

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 09:59:13 AM »
Well, I do the park and ride to work downtown for my daily 1+ hour commute to work, thus saving the nation's valuable resources.

I guess that makes me America's greatest hero.

* strikes Il Duce pose *
And this prevents further assaults to your Beemer :D