Author Topic: Issues thread  (Read 12093 times)

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked:
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
Re: Issues thread
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2011, 06:17:11 AM »
Not so much an issue with the player I don't think, but I'm having an issue creating a sync file for our G.I. Joe riff.

I'm on the Mac Beta, so I don't know if that has anything to do with what is going on.

Ok, quick rundown. Quotes are from http://www.rifftrax.com/riffplayer/creating-sync

3. The first line: the delay
This is the time difference between the DVD time and the Riff time. Your first guess estimate can be made from subtracting the dvd time from the riff time and entering the total seconds here.

The difference between when the movie starts & the riff starts is 2 minutes 16 seconds so I put:
riffdelay_init=136.000

4. The second line: the start
This is the number of seconds passed before the riff actually starts (aka, the number of seconds elapsed until Mike finishes saying "1, 2, 3, pause"). This is in DVD TIME, so you can play the riff + movie, watch the time, and enter the time when he is done saying pause.
The line should be like:
riffstart=19.00

The DVD time of when I finish saying "Pause" is 6 seconds into the movie, so I put:
riffstart=6.00

5. The third line: the time multiplier

NOTE: This is the hard step.. it is unintuitive.

The line is
time_offset=1.000950000

I didn't want to mess around with the tricky part yet, so I left it as:
time_offset=1.000950000

Ok, I fire up the player &  a few seconds into the DVD playing it starts the riff at roughly 23 seconds into the sync instructions (or from the start of the .mp3)  Any guesses?  I'm using the Shout re-release of the DVD.  (I also need to try it with the Rhino version since they appear to be about 3 seconds different.  I think the difference is in the end credits.)

**I think I discovered part of the issue.  I have tried telling it to use Title 2 and Title 13 (both are the movie one FS one WS) but it keeps starting at Title 1 which is around 26 seconds long.  I do hear the riff instructions at this point from the beginning, then it goes into the "Scanning" screen with Dis on it, then starts up at title 2 continuing the riff audio where it left off.  I'm stumped on how to work around this.**

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2011, 10:11:47 AM »
**I think I discovered part of the issue.  I have tried telling it to use Title 2 and Title 13 (both are the movie one FS one WS) but it keeps starting at Title 1 which is around 26 seconds long.  I do hear the riff instructions at this point from the beginning, then it goes into the "Scanning" screen with Dis on it, then starts up at title 2 continuing the riff audio where it left off.  I'm stumped on how to work around this.**

So, you have a

title_ID=2

in in your .sync file and it doesn't jump to track 2 on the DVD right away?

Sounds like the mac player is behaving differently than the PC one.  Or it's one of the discs that gives the player problems, how does it work on others that don't use track 1? (Some of those are: Birdemic, ID4, Indy Jones Crystal Skull, Twilight Eclipse)

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked:
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2011, 10:41:46 AM »
Yep I have that in there. I've had no issues with Rifftrax discs.

I'm tracking down a copy of the Rhino release to see if that has the same problem.

I had no issues with the Shout disc using RiffSync.

Offline ReiCow

• Riffplayer Developer
  • Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2011, 11:23:47 AM »
"Yep I have that in there. I've had no issues with Rifftrax discs. "

Are you saying you tried Birdemic, ID4, Indy Jones Crystal Skull, or Twilight Eclipse, and one (or more) of them worked whereas G. I. Joe is not working?

Cheers,
RC

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked:
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2011, 02:11:34 PM »
"Yep I have that in there. I've had no issues with Rifftrax discs. "

Are you saying you tried Birdemic, ID4, Indy Jones Crystal Skull, or Twilight Eclipse, and one (or more) of them worked whereas G. I. Joe is not working?

Cheers,
RC

High School Musical & the most recent Star Trek riff both worked fine.

Offline ReiCow

• Riffplayer Developer
  • Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2011, 02:18:54 PM »
Neither of which are form that list. The reason he cited those is because they use the title_ID property, while most do not. I know that the mac player does work with the title ID. A new version of the beta is going out to testers soon, so I'd hold off and wait for that.

Also, while the mac player is still in testing, please use the testing board and not this one.. to avoid clutter here.

Cheers,
RC

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked:
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2011, 03:48:55 PM »
Sounds good. I can try one of those titles listed when I get home in a couple days.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked:
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2011, 07:19:55 AM »
Neither of which are form that list. The reason he cited those is because they use the title_ID property, while most do not. I know that the mac player does work with the title ID. A new version of the beta is going out to testers soon, so I'd hold off and wait for that.

Also, while the mac player is still in testing, please use the testing board and not this one.. to avoid clutter here.

Cheers,
RC

ID4 does the same thing as G.I. Joe.  Do you have a link to the testing board? I searched for it but don't see it.

**Update: Thanks!**

Offline SorryAbtTheFace

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2011, 06:14:12 PM »
Just installed the player on my Win7 PC. Just after starting, I get an error alert reading "A connection with the server could not be established." I temporarily disabled my Norton 360 firewall, but got the same error. Can you suggest some troubleshooting steps? Thanks.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2011, 03:23:11 PM »
That doesn't make sense at all since the player doesn't require an internet connection.  Did you download it from the front page of this site?  Because i have windows 7 and the player has never required me to connect to the internet.

Offline ReiCow

• Riffplayer Developer
  • Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2011, 11:23:51 AM »
You have the old player.. not the present player (which can be downloaded here):

http://www.rifftrax.com/riffplayer

Cheers,
RC

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked:
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2011, 12:28:57 PM »
Sometimes when I can't figure out the solution to a problem, I take it as a personal failure and end up depressed and beating myself up for days.

Also, I love my mother, but sometimes I find her a bit smothering.

Oh wait, this is about issues regarding the Rifftrax Player.  Never mind.

Offline Col_Shaggy

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2011, 09:56:32 PM »
I'm not sure if this is an issue or what but here goes:
I downloaded the Riffplayer today, Oct. 1 2011, and watched Star Trek 2 The Director's Cut with it. Partway through I paused the movie for about five minutes and then got it going again. Leading up to the pause everything synched perfectly but afterward the jokes seemed to come just a split second early, barely even noticeable, but the Disembaudio synch lines were as much as a second fast. I also ran X3 The Last Stand and the jokes still seemed that tiny bit quick in coming but the synch lines lined up perfectly.
It's not really a problem as I'm usually used to the riff being a split second behind the movie, so I've never had a synch this exact. Anyway, it's been great, keep up the good work.

Offline ReiCow

• Riffplayer Developer
  • Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2011, 12:42:29 AM »
Yeah.. on some machines long pauses can slightly mar the timing. The easy fix is to simply do a small seek and it will resync.

Cheers,
RC

Offline Meltha

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2011, 07:11:25 PM »
Okay, I'll start off by saying I have nowhere near the high skill level of a lot of the people on this thread, so hopefully I don't come off sounding like a preschooler in the middle of a Master's class, but I admit it, I'm baffled.

I downloaded the newest player.  I then downloaded the PotC 1 rifftrax file to the same folder as the player, or at least I think I have.  Looking in my "My Files" page on rifftrax.com, I'm not seeing anything that has a .sync ending.  I downloaded the mp3 file.  Should I have done one of the two zips instead? 

At any rate, I then popped in the DVD to my drive (which is the 2 disc collector's edition, which might also be a problem), and it started playing on something called InterActual Player.  I assumed that was you guys, but I'm now thinking probably not and this is something Disney put on the DVD.  Again, that might be the problem.  I tried to play the riff of the movie, and I received the error message that there was no sync file.  I followed the link through the FAQ page to the list of sync files, and got into a page that had the numbers and letters described.  The problem is I'm not quite sure what to do with those.  Do I copy/paste them into a new document, because I'm not seeing a way just to download.

I'm really sorry if what I'm asking is ridiculously obvious to anyone with more experience.  Heck, I'm hoping this posts right.
Proud (and only) member of the Society to Stop Apostrophe Abuse.