Author Topic: "You don't yell at Windu."  (Read 1675 times)

Watchman

"You don't yell at Windu."
« on: December 12, 2011, 06:06:41 AM »

"You DON'T yell at Windu."

For the record, I haven't had any Windu or Lucas-related hypnagogic thoughts since March 31st. However, in honor of the new film A Dangerous Method about Freud & Jung, I wanted to throw the phrase "You Don't Yell At Windu" back up for psychoanalysis. (Maybe my id's disappointed it didn't become a meme.)

Watchman

Re: "You DON'T yell at Windu."
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 06:38:12 AM »
Any chance I can get a "Previously on Sutter Cane" on this one?

Hah, if you can find a way to tie it into:

Such an unholy fusion of John Carpenter & George Lucas... could end the world.

Sutter Cane wouldn't create a dull, empty character like Mace Windu, that's for sure. (No offense to any theoretical Windu apologists.)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 06:42:03 AM by Sutter Cane »

Russell

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 08:43:45 PM »
Mace:"We must move quickly if the Jedi order is to survive" (Mace walks away slowly...)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 08:49:06 PM by Gunflyer »

shodan

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 09:27:44 PM »
Mace:"We must move quickly if the Jedi order is to survive" (Mace walks away slowly...)
Samuel L Jackson just moves so damn fast he only appears to be moving slow.

Russell

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 09:30:33 PM »
Seriously? That's the best you could come up with? It's about time you realized just because you put an actor in a movie who is normally bad-ass does not make his character bad-ass. Just remember, Mace got killed by HAYDN CHRISTENSEN and a pathetic old man. Kind of puts things in perspective, doesn't it? Too much fucking perspective. With a lightsaber, he's bad-ass, but when his lightsaber has been taken away he is NOTHING.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 09:37:41 PM by Gunflyer »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5713
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 06:31:01 AM »
Seriously? That's the best you could come up with? It's about time you realized just because you put an actor in a movie who is normally bad-ass does not make his character bad-ass. Just remember, Mace got killed by HAYDN CHRISTENSEN and a pathetic old man. Kind of puts things in perspective, doesn't it? Too much fucking perspective. With a lightsaber, he's bad-ass, but when his lightsaber has been taken away he is NOTHING.
I certainly agree with your sentiment. Although I wouldn't call Palpatine "pathetic", he was a top level Sith with lightning bolts shooting out of his fingers. Getting beat by Hayden Christenson is pretty pathetic, however.

Offline doggans

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 06:32:08 AM »
Seriously? That's the best you could come up with? It's about time you realized just because you put an actor in a movie who is normally bad-ass does not make his character bad-ass.

You seem to take silly jokes a little too seriously.

shodan

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 09:22:30 AM »
Seriously? That's the best you could come up with? It's about time you realized just because you put an actor in a movie who is normally bad-ass does not make his character bad-ass.

yeah dude it's a joke.. i was giving a humorous answer to your criticism by asserting the preconception that Samuel is a badass in other movies. calm down. i could go on to defend windu but i think we'd both know where that would end up. he was admittedly pretty lackluster in the prequels. and on the subject of palpatine, his entire rise to power was based on deception. the whole "oh no im just a frail old Sith" is a smokescreen.

Watchman

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 01:10:33 PM »

There's one line reading of Jackson's that will randomly pop into my head & make me laugh. I don't know why I find this particular one so unintentionally funny, and I don't think I've seen this line singled out by anyone else:

ANAKIN: "The Senator is a Sith lord."
MACE: "A. Sith. Lord?"

It's like the closest Jackson has come to being Shatnerian. It doesn't adequately convey alarm, it's almost like he's mocking Christensen by leaning his face in & over-enunciating. With any other director he would have gotten bug-eyed & considerably raised the volume of his voice to convey his worst fears being realized without blandly stating "Then our worst fears have been realized." But in Lucas-land, everyone's neutered (except Palpatine) & poor Sam has to settle for Black Shatner.

Russell

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 03:01:25 PM »
yeah dude it's a joke.. i was giving a humorous answer to your criticism by asserting the preconception that Samuel is a badass in other movies. calm down. i could go on to defend windu but i think we'd both know where that would end up. he was admittedly pretty lackluster in the prequels. and on the subject of palpatine, his entire rise to power was based on deception. the whole "oh no im just a frail old Sith" is a smokescreen.
Who ever said I wasn't calm? If I think I've got a good point to make, I'm going to make them regardless of whether I perceive the targeted statement to be sarcasm or not. And with your last statement how am I to know whether or not you're being sarcastic or serious anyway?

Who said I was being serious? I could have been sarcastic since sometimes it's impossible to tell the intent of people just by looking at their statements. Usually when I say something like that, it's not in anger, it's with a confident smile on my face. People on this forum seem to make a lot of assumptions, and you know what they say about assumptions.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 03:48:05 PM by Gunflyer »