Author Topic: Re: The 3DS Thread  (Read 3987 times)

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3620
  • All joking a salad.
Re: The 3DS Thread
« on: April 25, 2011, 10:49:37 AM »
This image may help:

Two image are displayed simultaneously (the red and the blue).  Each image is projected in such a way that it is only visible when viewed from a certain angle.  Each image is calibrated to appear to one eye or the other.  If you move out of this calibrated field, you will begin to see both images with both eyes, and the image is blurry. 

On home TVs the glasses actually have shutters in them, and the image on the TV alternates between a left eye image and a right eye image.  When the right eye image is visible, the shutter closes on the left eye, and vice versa.

They are working on technology to have home viewing with no glasses:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uef17zOCDb8?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Uef17zOCDb8?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

I played my niece's 3DS yesterday.  I want one really bad now, but I'm fighting the urge to be an early adopter.

spaceforarent

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 05:59:30 AM »
Now that I'm working two jobs I should have the money to get one of these, so I'll probably pick one up in about a month (have a few other things to take care of). Can't wait to play Mario Kart in 3D.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3892
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 08:50:30 AM »
I meantioned this in passing over on the E3 thread, but if you are the proud owner of a Nintendo 3DS, you can now update it, go to the store, and download free Excitebike 3D and a 3D Pokedex for the rest of the day. You can also buy yourself some Mario Land action for a mere $4, which is a bargain if you ask me. :^)

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 08:27:30 AM »
I just bought a 3DS two days ago, and now this!!! :grr: :

Nintendo of America today announced plans to drop the suggested retail price of its portable Nintendo 3DS™ system to $169.99 in the United States, as new games based on some of the world's most beloved video game franchises head to the system. The new price, down from the suggested launch price of $249.99 and effective Aug. 12, makes an outstanding value even better and sets up a strong holiday season for the system.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 08:50:34 AM »
Ouch.

Even bigger ouch for Sony, who probably thought their Vita was going to be able to go toe-to-toe price-wise.

BUT this might reduce the ouch!

Quote from: ign
If you purchased a 3DS anytime before the price cut date, you will receive 10 free Virtual Console NES and 10 free Gameboy Advance games. Users must connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before the price cut date. They will then be automatically registered in the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program.

The list of NES games include:

Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong Jr.
Balloon Fight
Ice Climber
The Legend of Zelda
+5 more

These titles are slated to become paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors get them early for free. "Once the paid versions of the games are posted to the Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost."

The list of GBA games include:

Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
Mario Kart: Super Circuit
Metroid Fusion
WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
+5 more
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 08:53:38 AM by Pak-Man »

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 08:58:14 AM »
At least I got it for $220.  I bought it at Sears (I had a GC from my credit card), when I got home, I noticed that it had been opened.  The packaging was undone, it had someone else's pictures on it, and it was missing the AR cards.  So I went back and pitched a fit till they gave me a new one and $30 off (there were some other customer service issues that were pretty bad as well).

So for $50 more, I get 20 games?  I guess I'll reserve judgement until I see the games.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 10:12:27 AM »
Heck I feel justified by just the 5 Gameboy Advance games they announced. That's some grade-A stuff they're handing out. The 5 NES games aren't anything to sneeze at either.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 10:41:49 AM »
By the way, here's some thoughts on it now that I own one:

I was pleasantly surprised to see Netflix support on the 3DS.
        The pedometer/coin feature is cool.  Mii Plaza forces kids to either get out and make friends or get off their butts and walk around.
        Taking 3D pictures is pretty cool.
        The augmented reality is gimmicky, but pretty freaking cool.  There's a lot of potential for different applications.
        I don't have any retail games yet, but I'm excited for some new stuff to come out.

Russell

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 08:00:57 PM »
Nintendo just dropped the price of the 3DS.... to $169.99
http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/fttgI7OsQIB1tZqRMa5CtT45KLrmNkAY

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 08:06:03 AM »

Donnie, you're out of your element!

Russell

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 05:43:07 PM »
Donnie, you're out of your element!
What the fuck does any of this have to do with Vietnam, man?!

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 539
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 06:20:54 PM »
I was talkin to somebody today about how they're gonna get the DLC and then do an "exchange" to get the price dropped.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 08:18:09 PM »
Won't work. Nintendo doesn't tie DLC to your account. They tie it to the DS. Unless you transfer from one DS to another (Which requires you to have both in your posession and removes it from the original DS) the DLC you download stays tied to that DS. I lost like- $150 in DLC when I went from DSi to 3DS because my DSi was long gone by the time the shop opened up. Gonnna take that up with Nintendo Customer Service when I get the time...

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 539
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 09:44:47 PM »
Very interesting.  But it will still work with any store that price matches its own prices.  *hint, hint*

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 06:34:11 AM »
Well, it's possible at most locations.  Many retailers such as Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc have a price match of 7-14 days where they will match their own sale price.  If you buy a 3DS in early August, and connect to the eShop prior to Nintendo's deadline, you'll unlock the DLC games, then just return to the place of purchase on Sunday the 12th with the Sunday ad, which will almost certainly feature the price drop, and ask for the difference.  The DLC program is totally though Nintnedo, not the retailer so they shouldn't have a problem with it.

Now, if you've already bought a 3DS, just enjoy getting the 20 free games, but you really can't take advantage of this deal.  Unless you just bought it recently and don't have any DLC or saves you have to keep.  Then, assuming your system is still in the stores return period, just return it, and pick up a new one in a week and a half or so.