Author Topic: Re: What Projects / Tasks do you have going on / to do??  (Read 57281 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2337
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: What Projects / Tasks do you have going on / to do??
« Reply #585 on: December 30, 2017, 04:57:23 PM »
Guess I need a humidifier for this house, it never got that bad last winter so I thought I could go without one this winter.  But it's down under 15% and that's too low.  I guess the people in the house before me had the windows open enough to build up humidity in the house and it didn't go away until I ran the air conditioner all summer.

Got a Honeywell one at Target for the bedroom, if that is not enough I'll have to get a big console one for the first floor.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3451
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #586 on: December 31, 2017, 03:48:26 AM »
Guess I need a humidifier for this house, it never got that bad last winter so I thought I could go without one this winter.  But it's down under 15% and that's too low.  I guess the people in the house before me had the windows open enough to build up humidity in the house and it didn't go away until I ran the air conditioner all summer.

Got a Honeywell one at Target for the bedroom, if that is not enough I'll have to get a big console one for the first floor.
I just put some of those on the shelves at my local Target but never thought about getting one :o

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #587 on: December 31, 2017, 09:43:10 AM »

I just put some of those on the shelves at my local Target but never thought about getting one :o

I got the tall one that holds almost 2 gallons, a 1 gallon one would have run out last night, hopefully now the room is up to 30% it won't have to run all the time.  It was much better sleeping last night, didn't wake up with a dried out sore throat.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #588 on: January 29, 2018, 01:37:09 PM »
Another crazy project at work, attempting to build a treadmill for baby turtles.  I've built some strange stuff for various biology lab projects but this one might be the most strange.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #589 on: February 04, 2018, 12:55:14 PM »
I've been looking for months for a replacement for the ugly black halogen spotlight that was in the corner of my kitchen, wasn't seeing anything I liked.  Was in Home Depot today and noticed these hanging lights, and thought it might work well in place of the spot, and it does.  And it looks much nicer:

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #590 on: February 10, 2018, 06:03:01 PM »
See I got ceiling fans in every room of my house except the kitchen..
I still might install a small ceiling fan there :-\

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #591 on: February 15, 2018, 12:10:31 PM »
Ordering stuff on ebay is getting tricky at times..
I've ordered stuff for small projects recently and 2 times now they weren't the right size..
First time was a trailer hitch ball but the dimensions were not clearly labeled and of course it was the wrong size so I had to send it back..
This time I ordered a couple light bulb extensions for recessed lights on the headboard of my bed and they were actually for candle-style light bulbs instead so I just sent those back..
Decided to search around town for those light bulb extensions and surprisingly Ace Hardware didn't even carry them but a decorative lighting store near my house had them for $10 dollars a piece! I bit the bullet and bought the 2 I needed so I wouldn't have to search around again and Hope I wouldn't order the wrong ones yet again :-[
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 12:14:55 PM by RVR II »

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #592 on: February 15, 2018, 01:13:29 PM »
Never seen a light bulb socket extender before, good to know those exist.

Looked on Amazon, there are 6 packs for $10, but if you want just 2 it's not much less than what you paid...

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #593 on: February 15, 2018, 03:20:09 PM »
Never seen a light bulb socket extender before, good to know those exist.

Looked on Amazon, there are 6 packs for $10, but if you want just 2 it's not much less than what you paid...
Yeah I have a few recessed lights around here that have spiral bulbs but these 2 circular black lights have too short a neck and required extensions..
Here's the black lights I have:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ZPS142/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Hate that I had to pay $10 a piece for the 2 extensions and I doubt I'll buy anymore anytime soon :-[
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 03:23:27 PM by RVR II »

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #594 on: February 19, 2018, 02:48:08 PM »
Been busy playing catch-up on my DVD Shorts Volume discs the last couple days.. Haven't worked on them since my late wife got sick back in mid-2016 :-[
Got Volumes 29-32 covers printed (thanks to David for making those by the way) as well as Vol.30-32 discs burned and mp4's created, and finishing up the RiffTrax Presents Shorts Volumes 1-3 covers, mp4's, and discs 8)

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #595 on: February 20, 2018, 04:39:14 PM »
Another 70+ degree day so I took advantage of the warm temperatures to get a head start on some Spring cleaning and reorganizing in my house..
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ZALYLkO3ibw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ZALYLkO3ibw</a>
Still got a ways to go but the hard part is done.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #596 on: February 21, 2018, 07:02:09 AM »
Part 2 was done this morning from 4:30am-6:30am :o
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/AUqemvvEb6c" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/AUqemvvEb6c</a>
Woke up at 2:30am and couldn't go back to sleep.. Now I'm tired :speechless:

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #597 on: February 22, 2018, 09:09:39 AM »
Had to break into my small SentrySafe because the solenoid apparently failed preventing it from unlocking..
What a POS this damn thing is! Took me around 15-20 minutes to break into it. All I wanted was to get a $25 dollar savings bond out of it and had to destroy it just to get to it.
We paid over $300 for it 11-12 years ago when we were making 10s of thousands of dollars. :-[
I'll post the video of me breaking into it to show just how cheap these safes are.. They're even easier to break into with an Earth magnet (only a matter of seconds).
These safes are made in the USA but that's an embarrassment IMO.. I do Not recommend anyone getting a SentrySafe at all!

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #598 on: February 23, 2018, 02:21:25 PM »
Had to break into my small SentrySafe because the solenoid apparently failed preventing it from unlocking..
What a POS this damn thing is! Took me around 15-20 minutes to break into it. All I wanted was to get a $25 dollar savings bond out of it and had to destroy it just to get to it.
We paid over $300 for it 11-12 years ago when we were making 10s of thousands of dollars. :-[
I'll post the video of me breaking into it to show just how cheap these safes are.. They're even easier to break into with an Earth magnet (only a matter of seconds).
These safes are made in the USA but that's an embarrassment IMO.. I do Not recommend anyone getting a SentrySafe at all!
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/nmEdD0_-hso" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/nmEdD0_-hso</a>

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #599 on: February 24, 2018, 11:40:28 AM »
My living room ceiling fan died a few days ago and I could small burning electrical coming from it.. I have 3 identical 52" Harbor Breeze ceiling fans so I figured I would just swap out the ceiling fan from the spare room to replace the bad one in the living room.
Had a friend come over to help me swap them and discovered the capacitor in the bad living room ceiling fan had gotten so hot it was melted and that was causing the electrical smell.. In fact it was probably very close to catching on fire :scared:
Since that appears to be the issue and not a bad motor as initially thought, I found a replacement capacitor on ebay for less than $8 dollars with the exact microfarads (Red 5µF, Yellow 6.5µF, Purple 6.5µF) though the yellow and purple wires are reversed on the replacement capacitor (Red, Purple, Yellow) but from what I've researched, that shouldn't be a problem so long as they are the exact microfarads.
I'll install it once it arrives next week and see how it works.