Author Topic: Re: What Projects / Tasks do you have going on / to do??  (Read 76634 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5870
  • Mr. Robot
Re: What Projects / Tasks do you have going on / to do??
« Reply #765 on: January 30, 2020, 03:26:09 PM »
Sure.  *follows*

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4426
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #766 on: January 30, 2020, 04:18:36 PM »
Been 3 months and Phase 2 of my HVAC project is about to begin on Monday Feb. 3 :highfive:
It will take at least 2 days to complete. The gas pack/ventilation system will be installed in the attic and the AC compressor will be installed near the power panel then I will finally have central heat & air in my 82 year old house.
I'll post the time lapse videos here for each day for those interested 8)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #767 on: February 04, 2020, 05:21:31 AM »
Phase 2 is underway with Day 1 complete..
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/VsQmIrwAv0w" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/VsQmIrwAv0w</a>

Day 2 will consist of hooking everything up today 8)

Offline Lesbunny

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 774
  • I just kinda want to die all the time
« Reply #768 on: February 04, 2020, 09:04:33 AM »
I don't know what the deal is lately, but I've been pushing myself towards more creative pursuits. Art, music, writing. Now I want to make music. The hell, me?

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #769 on: February 04, 2020, 03:14:44 PM »
Day 2 of Phase 2 of my HVAC project is in the books but the install is not completed yet..
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/OaERnkvL-20" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/OaERnkvL-20</a>
Hopefully it'll be finished and running tomorrow.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #770 on: February 05, 2020, 06:00:15 PM »
And it's finished! :highfive:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/IQZ-b9M71Nc" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/IQZ-b9M71Nc</a>

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2915
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #771 on: February 07, 2020, 03:14:15 PM »
Wow, your circuit breaker panel is on the outside of the house?   I've never seen that before...

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #772 on: February 07, 2020, 03:29:15 PM »
Wow, your circuit breaker panel is on the outside of the house?   I've never seen that before...
Yes. It's actually pretty common around here.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #773 on: February 07, 2020, 03:35:38 PM »

That's nuts, so, no working on your panel with it's raining I guess.  And hope you don't trip a breaker when there's bad weather.  So many issues I can think of having it out in the elements like that....

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #774 on: February 07, 2020, 04:08:52 PM »

That's nuts, so, no working on your panel with it's raining I guess.  And hope you don't trip a breaker when there's bad weather.  So many issues I can think of having it out in the elements like that....
Nope. Actually the panel design is built to be very weather resistant. I've never had a problem with my panel as long as I've been here (since 1996). In fact, I may upgrade from my current 100 amp service panel to a 200 amp service panel.
These outdoor circuit breaker panels are sold locally at Lowes & Home Depot.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #775 on: February 07, 2020, 04:29:29 PM »

Nope. Actually the panel design is built to be very weather resistant. I've never had a problem with my panel as long as I've been here (since 1996). In fact, I may upgrade from my current 100 amp service panel to a 200 amp service panel.
These outdoor circuit breaker panels are sold locally at Lowes & Home Depot.

I know they would have to be very weather resistant, but no way you would open it up to work on it when it's raining...

I'd probably be worried about simply resetting a breaker if it was raining.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #776 on: February 07, 2020, 04:32:31 PM »
As far as going to 200 amps, that was a thing even a decade ago but these days with everything getting more and more efficient I doubt it's an advantage to have that extra capacity.  If I were to turn every single thing in my house on I doubt it would be over 60 amps.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #777 on: February 07, 2020, 04:40:15 PM »
I've done this a few times actually.. A breaker tripped during a storm and I went out and reset it. Yeah it's a bit of a risk but the breakers seem to be well insulated to prevent arching but you're right, there is still a risk.
As far as going to 200 amps, that was a thing even a decade ago but these days with everything getting more and more efficient I doubt it's an advantage to have that extra capacity.  If I were to turn every single thing in my house on I doubt it would be over 60 amps.
In fact my 100 amp panel has been overloaded since I built my Mega Shed in 2011 as it has 100 amp service alone running to it from my 100 amp service panel on my house so upgrading the service to 200 amp panel will solve that issue.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #778 on: February 07, 2020, 05:27:52 PM »
I've done this a few times actually.. A breaker tripped during a storm and I went out and reset it. Yeah it's a bit of a risk but the breakers seem to be well insulated to prevent arching but you're right, there is still a risk.
In fact my 100 amp panel has been overloaded since I built my Mega Shed in 2011 as it has 100 amp service alone running to it from my 100 amp service panel on my house so upgrading the service to 200 amp panel will solve that issue.

Yeah, in that case you are basically running 2 houses off one panel, so upgrading the primary makes sense.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #779 on: March 19, 2020, 07:22:04 PM »
 Webcams are out of stock everywhere it seems, well, except for the really expensive ones.  Since I have a zoom account through work I thought I'd try it, but no webcam on my PC...

Saw some articles about using an android phone for a PC webcam, I've got a 6 year old Galaxy Express that had it's battery puff up, but it won't run off USB power without a battery installed.  So, clipped off the cell from the circuit that is in the top of the battery and soldered a USB cable in where the battery was attached.  Held it in place with some gorilla tape and it will now turn on.

But it seems that it's so old that the play store is having trouble opening, so I can't download the webcam app....

Still messing with it, maybe it will update itself and the play store will start working, last time I used the phone was over 3 years ago.