login

Author Topic: Re: What Projects / Tasks do you have going on / to do??  (Read 69521 times)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3897
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: What Projects / Tasks do you have going on / to do??
« Reply #735 on: August 28, 2019, 07:01:09 PM »
Made some good progress today by getting the termite damaged wood removed and replaced with treated lumber, got both remaining windows installed in my front office, got the insulation installed in the wall and plywood covering it.
It's down hill from here with trim and sheetrock work, and the vinyl siding put back on.. How much longer this will take is anybody's guess but I would really like to get the vinyl siding reinstalled in the event that hurricane Dorian affects our weather around Labor Day :-\

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #736 on: August 30, 2019, 03:38:22 PM »
It's been 1 week now and this project is still not done... :grr:
He sent 2 old guys over to put my vinyl siding back on while I was back at work and it's all fucked up! It will have to be redone because they half-assed put it up and they framed around the old window frame (which was supposed to be covered up with the vinyl siding) instead of bringing it up to the new window that's installed! No idea when he will come back out here because he's still got other projects going on but there's no way I'm paying him anymore money till this shit's fixed!

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2662
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Wright flyer model
« Reply #737 on: September 02, 2019, 03:55:45 PM »
I'm about a month in and about half way done with a 1:16 scale model of the Wright Flyer, made from basswood and metal (britannia metal that is mostly tin), hundreds of tiny laser cut wood parts mixed with parts I have to make from wood stock.

Haven't made a wood model since I made a few balsa wood airplanes in the 70s.  Basswood is more robust than balsa so a bit easier to cut and shape, doesn't crush like balsa does.

This thing has been somewhat of a nightmare to build, smashing the record of all my previous model builds in the expletives uttered category.  The tin metal parts are so much harder to work with than plastic, even though the metal is somewhat soft and can be sanded it's much more of a pain to glue the parts together since you've got to use epoxy.

And the rigging, I thought it would be hard but wow, tying tiny knots on tiny hooks using tweezers is not fun.

This morning I finished the wings:

At least I thought they were done, then saw that I hadn't installed the instrument cluster, now they are done hopefully:

The detail is pretty amazing, it's starting to look pretty close to the one on display at the Smithsonian.

Here's a picture of the bottom of the engine just to get a sense of scale and level of detail:

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #738 on: September 03, 2019, 03:27:59 PM »
After 4 days of nothing (really 5 if I count Friday which was a wasted day due to the incompetent workers screwing up the vinyl siding they installed), they finally show up and the vinyl siding is finally getting installed (properly) but not finished yet..
This project should be wrapped up tomorrow before the effects of Hurricane Dorian arrive ...
HOPEFULLY!! Maybe ???

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #739 on: September 05, 2019, 02:02:24 AM »
Still pain-painstakingly slow but Phase 2 of my window project is so close to being done.. :-[
Still not sure what the contractor is trying to do with the bottom part of the 2 windows (the lower part of the original window frame is still showing and I think should have been trimmed back and covered with vinyl siding) but hopefully that will get worked out :-\

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #740 on: September 05, 2019, 11:41:11 PM »
Incredibly, he showed up yesterday morning around 8am and finished the job just 1 day shy of 2 weeks exactly! This job should have only taken 3-4 days max!
He fixed the remaining issues with the vinyl siding and was gonna have him work on the sheetrock in the front office ceiling that the paint is pealing off of but told him not to worry about that now just to get this project completed once and for all. I'll find someone else to do this or I may try to tackle it myself one day.
Just so glad this window/insulation project is finally done! :highfive:

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2662
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #741 on: September 12, 2019, 08:49:10 AM »
Almost done with my Wright Flyer model, probably have been averaging 4 hours a day on it over the last month.

I was dreading the final part, making the propellers, but it went better than I thought it would.

Basically it was turning these glued together sticks of wood:

Into these:

And then paint them grey:

Need to add a few metal bits in the center of each prop, add a few more pieces of string to complete the rigging, mount the propellers, and then this thing will be done.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #742 on: September 12, 2019, 09:43:15 AM »
Cool! :o
I don't think I'd have the patience for a model this detailed :-\ But it looks amazing!

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 581
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #743 on: September 17, 2019, 11:55:21 AM »
Last night I was depressed as hell... then suddenly I got a burst of energy and I started doing something constructive. I stacked my DVD shelves, mostly because since I have limited space in my room it's much more practical to try and make use of vertical space. So I unloaded all the stuff out of one, put it all on my bed, stacked the shelf on top of the other, then used a hinge to screw the two together(together, both of them almost reach the ceiling). I used a couple wall anchors to affix the top of the lower one to the wall. It's not like any of this stuff is load bearing so it should all be fine... unless of course we have a serious earthquake, in which case my whole DVD/Blu-ray collection is completely screwed.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #744 on: October 04, 2019, 04:44:58 PM »
Had a HVAC guy come by Tuesday evening to get an idea what it would take to install a 2 and a half ton unit in my attic. It would be done in 2 parts; ventilation and duct work will be installed first, then the unit itself will be installed later.
He's currently working on a parts list for vents and duct work along with labor that could be installed the last week of October. Then after Christmas I'll be able to afford the actual unit itself and schedule a time frame to get that installed.
I'll hear back from him on a quote this coming week but my guess is between $5500-$6000 for everything where 1/2 will be put down for part 1 and the remaining 1/2 paid when the unit is installed :-X