login

Author Topic: Re: What Projects / Tasks do you have going on / to do??  (Read 66204 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2593
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: What Projects / Tasks do you have going on / to do??
« Reply #675 on: December 16, 2018, 03:16:11 PM »
It has taken all afternoon but I finally got an Ethernet cable snaked up into the upstairs room where I have this computer, still have to putty the extra holes in the bathroom closet (took 3 tried to find a clear path into the attic), and cut notches in the shelves for the cable.

The cable is connecting at 1Gbps so guess I got all the colors in the proper places on both ends when crimping the connectors on, now I don't have to mess with getting the antennas just right to get full speed between the 2nd floor and the router in the basement anymore.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 514
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #676 on: December 16, 2018, 08:13:10 PM »
I realized today I needed to get rid of a rather worthless piece of furniture that is doing little more than taking up space. All it has is two drawers, one small drawer and one deep drawer and I basically never use it for anything(and BTW... it's broken so one of the wheels kept falling off so it was always falling off to one side). Well I did have my biggest books on top of it but that was about all it was good for. I'm trying to find something that's only about 16 inches wide, is about 10 inches deep and has about 5-6 shelves. I'm not big on woodworking so I'm currently looking to find the right piece of furniture that can accommodate both big books and DVD's.

BTW when I say big books, I mean fairly big. I have this book I got last year called Close Encounters of the Third Kind the ultimate visual history and it's a great book but it's a monster, it's about one inch thick and is about ten inches wide and ten inches tall. If I can find something that can at least hold that I think I'm good.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #677 on: December 16, 2018, 08:48:32 PM »
I'm trying to find something that's only about 16 inches wide, is about 10 inches deep and has about 5-6 shelves.

Look at cube storage units, they come in all kinds of geometries and are made to hold heavy stuff.

One of these gets you 4 shelves:

https://www.target.com/p/4-cube-vertical-organizer-shelf-13-threshold-153/-/A-50253265?preselect=17127298#lnk=sametab

Or stack 2 of these to get 6 shelves:

https://www.target.com/p/3-cube-organizer-shelf-11-room-essentials-153/-/A-50253252?preselect=16908245#lnk=sametab

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 488
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #678 on: December 21, 2018, 01:10:56 AM »
Currently am working on my Christmas presents, and I'm cutting it really close. If I complete one a day, I should be ok. Here are the two I've completed so far:

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3785
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #679 on: December 21, 2018, 01:36:37 AM »
I've got projects on hold right now due to my busy work schedule.
Bought a 5 in 1 surround sound system and digital antenna box for my 75 in. Vizio last month and they're still sitting in their boxes. Had a couple product review videos to do as well and just finished one that should have been done around Thanksgiving and still have another to do. I did disassemble my old surround sound system including pulling up the speaker wires from under the house and moved it all over to my Mega Shed to hook up over there to use with my old 55 inch Vizio.
I get done with work and I'm just too tired to do anything at all and just want to eat something and go to bed. Things should start to slow down after Christmas and drop off substantially after the new year then maybe I'll have time to get some things done..

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5648
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: Re: What Projects / Tasks do you have going on / to do??
« Reply #680 on: December 21, 2018, 09:36:55 AM »
I'm making a gingerbread house for the first time. I already mixed the gingerbread and it came out very well. We're about to roll it them bake it. Then in two day I'll put it together and decorate it.
I'm doing as typical of a gingerbread house as I can because it's my first. If it goes well, I'll do more elaborate ones later on. I'm sure I'll eventually do a Satellite of Love one.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 514
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #681 on: December 23, 2018, 01:15:13 PM »
Look at cube storage units, they come in all kinds of geometries and are made to hold heavy stuff.
One of these gets you 4 shelves:
https://www.target.com/p/4-cube-vertical-organizer-shelf-13-threshold-153/-/A-50253265?preselect=17127298#lnk=sametab
Or stack 2 of these to get 6 shelves:
https://www.target.com/p/3-cube-organizer-shelf-11-room-essentials-153/-/A-50253252?preselect=16908245#lnk=sametab
Thank you Marty. I'll definitely check that out.

Offline Imrahil

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7897
« Reply #682 on: December 24, 2018, 06:28:24 AM »
I'm making a gingerbread house for the first time. I already mixed the gingerbread and it came out very well. We're about to roll it them bake it. Then in two day I'll put it together and decorate it.
I'm doing as typical of a gingerbread house as I can because it's my first. If it goes well, I'll do more elaborate ones later on. I'm sure I'll eventually do a Satellite of Love one.

When I was in grad school my wife (then girlfriend) and I did a Roman Villa.  It was fun.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #683 on: December 24, 2018, 03:04:46 PM »
Finally got my Vizio 5 in 1 surround system hooked up to my new 75" Vizio HDTV today and it sounds amazing! :o
Followed the step-by-step instructions and all 5 speakers including the subwoofer sound great!
Bought it on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CDG12DL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
First thing I tested the new sound system on was MST3K's 'Puma Man' on Pluto TV :D :D
I'll watch Die Hard this evening, being this year is the 30th anniversary while eating crab legs & lobster tails :P

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #684 on: December 24, 2018, 03:27:16 PM »
Finally got my Vizio 5 in 1 surround system hooked up to my new 75" Vizio HDTV today and it sounds amazing! :o
Followed the step-by-step instructions and all 5 speakers including the subwoofer sound great!
Bought it on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CDG12DL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
First thing I tested the new sound system on was MST3K's 'Puma Man' on Pluto TV :D :D
I'll watch Die Hard this evening, being this year is the 30th anniversary while eating crab legs & lobster tails :P

A good surround system will ruin you for listening to built in speakers, I've been using a 7.1 system on my main TV for 20 years.  I had to install a sound bar and sub woofer in my kitchen because I couldn't stand the sound of the TV speakers any more.  Might seem crazy but of course not many people put wall mounted 32 inch TVs in their kitchens, so yeah, I guess a little crazy.

Pluto-TV will not be a good test of the surround, but Die Hard will put it through it's paces.  For a movie that has lots of sounds in the corners of the room Terminator II is a good one.

Tomorrow is my day for crab cakes and lobster tail, got them defrosting in the fridge now, bought almost $200 worth from The Crab Place, will eat half tomorrow and half new years eve.

Been thinking of replacing the vent fan in the bathroom, so wanted to check if the one in there would come out, managed to take it out and clean it up, then reinstalled it.  Good thing it came out through the hole in the ceiling, I can't really reach the area above it in the attic since they installed A/C duct work that makes it really hard to get back there.  Now I know what size to look for as a replacement.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
« Reply #685 on: December 24, 2018, 03:46:19 PM »
LOL...Terminator 2 has always been the movie I've used to test a new sound system/TV/media player/etc. Don't know why exactly, it just always is (started with a widescreen VHS on a new 200 lb 36" tube TV on Xmas 25 years ago).
Cooking a prime rib roast- wife gets home from work in an hour- not quite going to be done by then.

And only a 24" TV in the kitchen-not wall mounted (no wall space to do that) and biggest one that would fit in the space-didn't go crazy with surround sound for the kitchen, but did add a kitchen Roku.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 04:00:32 PM by wihogfan »

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #686 on: December 24, 2018, 06:29:06 PM »
Yeah T2 is a good test for the new surround sound system, but back in 1996 when I had my then state of the art Cerwin Vega surround system ID4 was the movie to test it with and man did that ever sound impressive :o
I think I'll watch both those movies next 8)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5648
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #687 on: December 24, 2018, 08:27:45 PM »

You should have tested it with MST3K's The Creeping Terror.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #688 on: December 25, 2018, 01:33:04 AM »

You should have tested it with MST3K's The Creeping Terror.
:o I'll add that one to the list as well!

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #689 on: December 25, 2018, 06:53:55 AM »
Keeping with the Christmas movie theme..
Watched Die Hard 2 and that sounded really good too :o