login

Author Topic: Re: What Projects / Tasks do you have going on / to do??  (Read 82313 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3100
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: What Projects / Tasks do you have going on / to do??
« Reply #825 on: September 05, 2020, 09:23:29 PM »
Looks good, but also looks unfinished without fascia boards over the ends of the rafters.  Once painted or stained I guess they won't stand out as much.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 5011
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #826 on: September 06, 2020, 03:41:34 AM »
Looks good, but also looks unfinished without fascia boards over the ends of the rafters.  Once painted or stained I guess they won't stand out as much.
Thanks! Yeah we're actually planning on staining it Monday with Flood Cedar color stain

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #827 on: September 06, 2020, 07:39:55 AM »
Thanks! Yeah we're actually planning on staining it Monday with Flood Cedar color stain

That color should look nice.  Other thing I was wondering about are the shingles along the top edge, hope they put extra staples or nails along the edge so a strong wind doesn't lift them.  A lot of shingles have glue but that doesn't hold for 10+ years like mechanical fasteners.  Or put a strip of drip edge along the top just as a 2nd method of preventing lift.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #828 on: September 10, 2020, 02:26:32 AM »

That color should look nice.  Other thing I was wondering about are the shingles along the top edge, hope they put extra staples or nails along the edge so a strong wind doesn't lift them.  A lot of shingles have glue but that doesn't hold for 10+ years like mechanical fasteners.  Or put a strip of drip edge along the top just as a 2nd method of preventing lift.
Just saw this..
The cedar color turned out great! We're very sore from staining for nearly 7 hours straight then sorting and moving everything back under the new carport :-[ Yes the roofers did put extra nails on all 4 edges for storm resistance. I'm planning on having them come back to re-shingle my house possibly next year.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #829 on: September 18, 2020, 12:53:01 PM »
Replaced the rusty old lamp for the back porch, much easier job than the front, still lots of rust but the bolts holding everything came apart easily after the first few turns.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #830 on: September 28, 2020, 01:24:53 PM »
I mentioned this in the Completely Random Thoughts thread about the vacant lot behind my house that was purchased back in April of this year and that the lot was completely cleared to make way for a future house to be constructed on it..
Well that forced me to expedite repairs to my back yard fence before construction begins; Chain link fence repair, 2 privacy fence panels and privacy lattice replaced.
Completed yesterday (Sunday):
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/pK50y_BJZcw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/pK50y_BJZcw</a>

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #831 on: October 14, 2020, 06:53:47 PM »
At work they were throwing away a metal frame on wheels, took it home and just got done adding a plywood top and bottom shelf, it's going to be a nice workbench:

I thought about putting a nicer top on that frame, but had another idea while looking at butcher block tops, Lowes had some kitchen counter top sections that weren't too expensive.  So I picked up a $50 one and put it on top of the desk I've been using for model making and other fine work.  This is going to be a much better work area, and no more parts rolling off the back of the desk resulting in long searches for them.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #832 on: November 04, 2020, 01:08:41 PM »
One final project for the year will be to repair my dining room ceiling that was damaged when my new HVAC condenser missed the drip pan in the attic by a foot and leaked through the dining room ceiling fan and damaged the ceiling sheetrock..
6 er so months later the sheetrock contractor has finally scheduled me in to come over this coming weekend to replace the damaged ceiling sheetrock. I went through my building supplies in my shed and I have plenty of both 1/2 inch sheetrock as well as 5/8 inch sheetrock and also plastic to hang over the shelves and doorways in the dining room to keep the sheetrock dust contained.
Spent the day removing everything out of the dining room because they don't know how much of the ceiling they will have to remove but they will know more once they get started. Everything labor wise will be covered by the HVAC company and this project will use up some of my extra sheetrock I've had stored for years from projects past 8)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #833 on: November 08, 2020, 06:55:41 AM »
The guys showed up right on time at 8am and after an hour of cutting and removing the damaged ceiling sheetrock, it's ready for 1 new sheet of 3/8" thick sheetrock. There was 1 x 4 in tongue and groove slat boards behind the sheetrock like I thought so all they had to do was run a few screws into the slat boards for reinforcement so the sheetrock can cover it over. Just install the sheetrock mud in the cracks and let it set till tomorrow morning.
They could be done by noon in time for NFL football this afternoon 8)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #834 on: November 15, 2020, 07:00:33 AM »
And onto yet another (unexpected) project; Electrical stuff >:(
My Mega Shed I helped build almost 10 years ago has fluorescent lights that shine upwards and reflect off the arch ceiling and one ballast failed last year but the other one worked fine and shined enough light in the room until it failed a couple months back. I'm not an expert at replacing bad ballasts so I decided to install a light kit in the ceiling fan that's about 12+ feet high for the time being only to discover there's no power to the light kit wires :grr:
So I called an electrician friend that said he could come out around lunchtime today to see what he could do. While he's here I might get him to install some new ceiling fan/light switches in 4 rooms and eliminate the old dimmable light switches that don't work well with my LED light bulbs. Never used the dim settings much anyway.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #835 on: November 16, 2020, 04:39:26 AM »
I was right, there was no power run to the light kit wires in the ceiling fan so he had to splice into the ceiling fan power wires to get them to work.
The ballasts need to be ordered and will run just under $100. They will be installed next weekend.
The 4 light and fan switches weren't too bad to replace except for the fact that the wiring diagram for the light and fan was backwards so all 4 had to be taken back out and rewired.