Author Topic: Re: What Projects / Tasks do you have going on / to do??  (Read 77317 times)

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 501
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
Re: What Projects / Tasks do you have going on / to do??
« Reply #795 on: April 22, 2020, 03:26:39 PM »
Doctors recommend not letting kids watch TV until they're 1.5 to 2 years old. We aimed for 2 but are hedging it a little earlier at 20 months. It's been incredibly frustrating guessing what he wants to watch. He has his favorites, but we can only put on Frozen so many times.

Took all day Sunday setting up a system (which took 15mins of thinking). I printed out a dozen of his favorite shows, taped them to cardboard cutouts, and "laminated" them with tape. It took all day, because I had to update our new laptop's OS so that it could accept the current Apple Pages which, itself, needed to be updated (gave up and used Google Sheets). And then I had to download the printer's drivers, getting around the expired certificate because they were so old, and installing the new ink cartridges in the machine. It was all worth it though, because now we have more control over what he chooses, and he gets the power of choice. It's made all our lives so much better. It still blows his little mind how picking up a cardboard can turn on the show he wants to watch.

Here he is holding tightly to his favorite morning show:

Still trying to figure out how he can "deposit" one as a way to "turn on" his show in a sort of "This is my final answer" kind of way. Thought maybe of making a ballot box or using one of his toy pails or something, but he really enjoys holding onto them. We're still working it all out. I'll have to show more pictures of our "system" later, but, for the most part it really works. Quite well, in fact.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 03:31:34 PM by stansimpson »

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 351
Re: Re: What Projects / Tasks do you have going on / to do??
« Reply #796 on: May 02, 2020, 02:36:43 PM »
It's amazing how 4 weekends worth of work can turn a yard from pretty crappy looking to pretty awesome. Not gonna impress anyone with landscaping, but after a lot of raking, having a tree service come and trim some wind damaged trees and grind a stump, removing some 30 year old barely living bushes, having a truck load of mulch delivered, and planting some seasonal flowers, I would no longer be embarassed to invite people over (if that were possible this year). Now sitting on the back portch drinking a homebrew on a bright sunny afternoon watching the dogs play.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2959
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #797 on: June 18, 2020, 07:53:18 PM »
While cleaning the ceiling fan in my bedroom I noticed the tiles were being pulled down in the area of the fan.  Took the fan apart and noticed all the screws were not all that tight.  Went into the attic and found the fan was only screwed into the old plaster lath.  When the house was renovated 2 owners ago they put those fiber glue on tiles to cover the 80 year old plaster ceiling and then just used drywall screws to attach the fan.

Luckily there was a beam next to the hole for the wires, so all I had to do was rotate the rectangular mounting bracket and drill some new holes into it in the area of that beam, then use some 5 inch screws to get into the beam.  Also went and got an 8 inch lag screw and put that on an angle from the middle of the bracket into the side of the beam.  All that pulled the ceiling back up to normal and I could put way more than the weight of the fan on the bracket without it moving.

Glad I noticed it before it fell and tore a hole in the ceiling, I think the only thing keeping it up was the interlocking nature of the tongue and grove tiles glued to the old plaster.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #798 on: June 23, 2020, 02:43:18 PM »
After looking at hundreds of ceiling fans online I finally realized the only thing I don't like about the current fan in the bedroom is the lights.  So I started looking at light kits and figured with some surgery on the old lights and a new kit I could improve the look of the old fan a lot.

Went from this:

To this:

Basically just ripped the sockets off the old housing and attached the new light where the pull chain was, also modified the new light taking out the pull chain since this fan is controlled by a wall dimmer. 

LED bulbs and dimmers are always a crap shoot, with 2 of the frosted bulbs the dimmer did nothing, the bulbs went to full power instantly, with these 2 different bulbs the dimmer works fine.  The original bulbs were too dim and buzzed like crazy even with the dimmer on max.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4544
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #799 on: June 23, 2020, 03:31:42 PM »
The second pic, I have a similar style ceiling fan light in my bedroom with candelabra led bulbs.
The original incandescent bulbs were a similar yellow until I replaced them with some Sansi LED bulbs from Amazon.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #800 on: June 23, 2020, 03:54:16 PM »
The second pic, I have a similar style ceiling fan light in my bedroom with candelabra led bulbs.
The original incandescent bulbs were a similar yellow until I replaced them with some Sansi LED bulbs from Amazon.

If they were yellow like in the picture they weren't incandescent, they were LEDs, those are strips of dozens of tiny blue LEDs that are coated in the yellow stuff that takes in the blue light and emits warm white.  They make them in all the old Edison filament designs for use in lamps where you see the bulb.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #801 on: June 23, 2020, 05:07:43 PM »

If they were yellow like in the picture they weren't incandescent, they were LEDs, those are strips of dozens of tiny blue LEDs that are coated in the yellow stuff that takes in the blue light and emits warm white.  They make them in all the old Edison filament designs for use in lamps where you see the bulb.
They were the original bulbs from 2009 and they weren't LEDs. They had wire filaments.
The replacements are and they're a lot brighter than the originals.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #802 on: June 27, 2020, 09:37:50 AM »
Noticed the chandelier in the dining room had a gap between the ceiling and the cover plate, same situation as the bedroom ceiling fan where the screws were only into the old plaster lath boards and were pulling out.  Looks like who ever did the job tried to reach a beam but didn't use long enough screws.  With a 4 inch screw I got about an inch of it into the beam on one side of the bracket, other side had to still go into the lath but the one big screw is strong enough to hold the weight.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #803 on: June 29, 2020, 06:11:38 PM »
A couple of months ago I had the stump ground up from the tree that fell in a storm last year. Grinding left about a 20 foot circle of no grass. Ground wood wasn't really conducive tp growing grass. Dug out several inches of the ground up wood on the surface and put down fresh dirt, grass seed, and some straw. First round of seed didn't do much. Second round of seed last week and a lot of diligent water has led to to about 75% grass coverage. Still thin in parts of even that 75%, but hopeful it might be covered normally in another few weeks. Was a big tree/stump and root structure, but think I probably wouldn't have had the stump ground if I had it to do over again.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #804 on: June 29, 2020, 06:25:25 PM »
Rains and unusually hot weather here this season has equalled weeds being out of control. Finally got my dandelions under control using some reasonably safe weed killer, but the environmentally safe stuff I was using on all the other weeds on the outskirts of the yard and in flower gardens and mulch beds just wasn't working, so I reluctantly got a bottle of Roundup. Was scary in how well it worked. Most weeds turned brown and shriveled up within 15 minutes.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #805 on: July 05, 2020, 05:25:47 AM »
Bought a brand new fridge the other day from Lowe's and it's scheduled to be delivered this afternoon..
I don't really need it but the GE I bought around the time I got married in 2001 lasted only 9 years when it suddenly died and we lost most of our food.. The replacement GE was purchased in May, 2010 and every once in a while it will make some strange noises so I thought it would be a good idea to go ahead and get a brand new one to have on hand as a backup for when the second GE does go out.

I had 4 different models picked out on the Lowe's website based on price and size in cu. ft. but when I went to the store to see if they had any of those on hand, they were all unavailable! So then we looked into what they had on display and picked out around 4 or 5 different ones and they were unavailable as well! So then I asked about buying a floor model of the ones that were unavailable and they couldn't sell me any of those either! So by now I'm thinking 'Do you want to make a sale or not?!' ???
After checking several other models with the sales rep we found this Samsung was in stock so we bought it with the 3 year extended warranty.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Samsung-25-5-cu-ft-French-Door-Refrigerator-with-Ice-Maker-Fingerprint-Resistant-Black-Stainless-Steel-ENERGY-STAR/1000108631