Author Topic: Re: What Projects / Tasks do you have going on / to do??  (Read 76656 times)

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 346
Re: Re: What Projects / Tasks do you have going on / to do??
« Reply #780 on: March 19, 2020, 07:54:45 PM »
Been a few years since I messed around with custom android firmware (newer Samsung phones far better about limiting the bloatware they used to include thus making hacked firmware less relevant), but checking XDA there is some custom  firmwares out there for the Galaxy Express that would probably allow you to side load a more updated version of the Play store and get rid of anything unnecessary to just using the phone as a webcam. Your battery hack may make rooting and installing it a bit more difficult though depending on the method required to get root.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2917
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #781 on: March 19, 2020, 08:21:12 PM »
 I have rooted devices before (first generation amazon fire tablet), not sure if I should try connecting the phone via USB to the PC with the battery hack running, and you need a USB connection to root the phone.  Although I guess since the phone sees the battery at 100% it shouldn't try to charge it so maybe it would be safe to try...

I uninstalled all the updates on all the google apps and that worked, I was able to get into the play store and download the webcam app.

But it's kind of useless, way too much of a delay since it is an old slow phone streaming over wifi through my router, it would be cool as a security or nanny camera, the app basically creates a web server on the phone that has audio and video streams.

Maybe I will try rooting the thing, it's pretty useless as is and I won't care if it gets bricked.

Currently have it sitting on the window sill running the GPS status app, so it's a super accurate clock.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 08:59:55 PM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #782 on: March 19, 2020, 08:35:14 PM »
Yeah...thinking about that some more,  I might be reluctant due to battery hack maybe doing something that fries a USB port. Probably not likely, but maybe not worth the risk. Back when I used to coble together various homemade hacked electronics, I fried a USB port that started the need for a new motherboard which quickly led to just building a whole new PC.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: What Projects / Tasks do you have going on / to do??
« Reply #783 on: March 20, 2020, 09:02:46 AM »
Decided not to risk the USB port on my new PC.

Tried it as a security camera, put it on the window sill of my front bay windows to look at my front door landing.  Worked fine for about an hour then the phone went to sleep.  Wonder if the phone gets confused that it's on battery power but it's always at 100%?  If I get super bored I might take one of the many crappy micro USB cables I have and splice into the cable I have going to the battery, if it sees power on the USB port it might stay on longer.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #784 on: March 20, 2020, 04:16:26 PM »
I made the dual cable to go to both the battery and the USB port, the phone did not like that at all.  It ran but got very warm and kept saying battery full remove charger...

But I think the issue with the webcam turning off after an hour was a security setting on the phone.  It was set to lock after an hour, no way to turn that off but I made it so it only locks when the screen times out, and the webcam software has a setting to keep the screen on, so it's been running for a few hours watching my front porch without turning off....

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #785 on: March 21, 2020, 11:02:29 AM »
After I changed those lock settings it ran overnight just fine.

I found the perfect use for that old phone webcam, now going to use it to monitor my 3D printer.

It is good exercise to go from my computer on the 2nd floor to the basement and back to check it, but it will be good to have a real time feed to spot problems on many hour long prints.  In that picture I'm printing a bracket to attached the phone to the side of the printer.

And here it is attached to the printer:

« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 02:32:54 PM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4437
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #786 on: March 30, 2020, 12:43:01 AM »
Unexpected gas water heater replacement and due to this Coronavirus, this became urgent replacement not to mention it had to be done on a Sunday because it was my only day off..
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3DFQgmHYGmM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3DFQgmHYGmM</a>

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #787 on: April 05, 2020, 02:11:48 PM »
Cleared off my back deck, replaced my 7 year old gazebo tarp and pressure washed the back deck today. Now my muscles are sore after nearly 1 hour straight of pressure washing :-[

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #788 on: April 05, 2020, 03:28:47 PM »
I took care of the 2 stumps from the dead trees I had removed over the winter, hit some dirt with the chainsaw but it's a cheapo electric one so no big deal.  Also did a lot of cleaning in the basement, the area that I use to build models has 3 years of plastic bits built up...

Also cleaned out my fire pit on the patio, I think I'll go out and burn up some branches.  After 3 years I finally bought a patio chair, I should break it in...

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #789 on: April 17, 2020, 02:34:24 AM »
Going to Home Depot at 6am to pick up a new lamp post that was delivered to the store. They open at 6am but close now at 6pm so I can't get there in time after work. Picking it up early is the best time to go before I go on to work at the post office.
The original lamp post my late wife bought some 10-12 years ago took a direct hit from a branch from my 80+ year old Maple tree during the early morning storms that rolled through on Monday.
Total cost: $404 with tax :-[
I'll probably work on installing the replacement lamp post on Sunday as it's my only day off.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #790 on: April 17, 2020, 04:23:07 AM »
Going to Home Depot at 6am to pick up a new lamp post that was delivered to the store. They open at 6am but close now at 6pm so I can't get there in time after work. Picking it up early is the best time to go before I go on to work at the post office.
The original lamp post my late wife bought some 10-12 years ago took a direct hit from a branch from my 80+ year old Maple tree during the early morning storms that rolled through on Monday.
I'll probably work on installing the replacement lamp post on Sunday as it's my only day off.
Just got back from Home Depot and they can't find my order! :angry:
They said they saw it yesterday and then it was apparently moved and it's new location was not updated in their system...
They said that if I want I could pay $78 dollars to have it delivered to my house but quickly retracted that offer after I started to get aggravated and then said that when they find it, they will bring it to my house for free. Yeah that would be nice! >:(

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #791 on: April 17, 2020, 09:56:47 AM »
Had to run to Lowes to pick up yard waste bags (big paper bags that the city will pick up). Filled 10- 30 gallon yard bags with sticks and leaves. Cleaned the gutters. Scheduled a tree trimming service to come by and cut down some limbs that were damaged in the storm that took out one of trees last year- limbs just too high up for me to get to myself. Cleaned the house. Good morning and now relaxing with a cup of coffee and watching Samuri Cop on Pluto TV.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #792 on: April 19, 2020, 01:16:44 PM »
Just got back from Home Depot and they can't find my order! :angry:
They said they saw it yesterday and then it was apparently moved and it's new location was not updated in their system...
They said that if I want I could pay $78 dollars to have it delivered to my house but quickly retracted that offer after I started to get aggravated and then said that when they find it, they will bring it to my house for free. Yeah that would be nice! >:(
So I finally got my light delivered and here's the Before & After pics..

And the video I made starting with the curb side fiasco then onto replacing the lamp post..
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/afAPyYOnLZo&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/afAPyYOnLZo&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #793 on: April 19, 2020, 02:00:25 PM »
I was wondering how fancy it was when you mentioned the price, last year I spent a whole $25 to replace the half broken post lamp near my back steps...

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #794 on: April 19, 2020, 03:11:58 PM »
I was wondering how fancy it was when you mentioned the price, last year I spent a whole $25 to replace the half broken post lamp near my back steps...
Here's the link to the actual lamp post before taxes..
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Livex-Lighting-Providence-4-Light-Outdoor-Bronze-Incandescent-Post-Light-7557-07/203366195
i think it was overpriced but it's the closest thing I could find that looked like the original. Hopefully this one will last another decade or longer :-\
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 03:24:48 PM by RVR II »