Author Topic: Re: What Projects / Tasks do you have going on / to do??  (Read 69482 times)

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3897
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: What Projects / Tasks do you have going on / to do??
« Reply #705 on: March 21, 2019, 06:46:17 AM »
Finally getting the suspension fixed Monday morning on my 99 Dodge Ram truck. The upper and lower ball joints have been bad for years and never had the money to get them fixed until now .
Got brand new upper and lower control arms, idler arn, and Pittman arm from Moog parts on Amazon for over $600 dollars and the labor will be over $700 but they will finally be fixed once and for all 8)
Got all that done and it drives like a new truck again! Got the coolant and brake fluids flushed along with the AC system checked yesterday and confirmed that my evaporator has a small leak so it will need to be replaced which will require pulling the dash. My dashboard is already cracked and removing it will cause it to break apart more so I ordered a replacement dash board from LMC Truck parts so that will be here in a few days. While the dash is out I'll probably replace the heater core as well to eliminate any future problems with it.
Work schedule permitting I'll get that done next week and that should be it for truck repairs  8)

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2659
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #706 on: April 13, 2019, 02:14:24 PM »
 Just put down 6 bags of mulch around the house and I probably need to get 2 more...  Where does that stuff disappear to?

Did some weeding of the beds around the house.

Also cleaned the coils on the outside A/C unit.  Checked the relay and the amount of current the compressor and fan are drawing, everything looks fine.

And got the mound of pine needles out of the front gutter.

I think that's enough exorcise for today...

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #707 on: April 13, 2019, 03:16:59 PM »
I don't use mulch as it attracts termites here in the south.

My frequently changing work schedule has changed yet again to where I will now have Monday off so I can get the last major work done on my truck; AC evaporator and heater core replaced. I will replace the dash as well while those parts are getting replaced.
And ordered a set of tires off Amazon for just over $100 per tire :o
That's $40-$50 cheaper per tire than anybody else here in town!

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #708 on: April 27, 2019, 01:53:30 AM »
Next big project coming up will be installing windows in my house. I have 6 old windows that have needed to be replaced since I bought this house 22 years ago and it never got done. Bought 5 windows last year and waited till Spring to get them installed but the guy I wanted to do the work is either too busy or doesn't want to do the job as he won't return my calls so I contacted another handyman that came by yesterday and is working on an estimate. It will probably be a 2 part project as I really need the living room and dining room windows done first then the front room windows done later. The front porch window will be walled up and I also need the walls insulated as there is none in them now so I'll get that done as well.
If we agree on a price he could get started later next week.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #709 on: May 02, 2019, 02:09:37 AM »
We agreed on terms and they started yesterday afternoon. After removing the vinyl siding then tore into the lower part of the existing windows and sure enough I've got some serious rot under the windows right down to the wooden sill :-[

That must be replaced before any framing for the new windows can be done.
Removed some of the original lap siding from 1938 that has lead paint and have the square nails and sure enough there's no insulation in the walls.

Picked up a bundle of R13 insulation that's 23 inches wide because my studs are spaced more than 16 inches apart.. 

Work will continue today and they will stop till next week as the contractor will be going out of town.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #710 on: May 03, 2019, 12:44:57 AM »
Got a lot accomplished Thursday..
Worst window was the living room as moisture got all the way down to the sill. Glad we didn't blow insulation as the corner stud was on an angle and there would have been no way to get insulation into that corner without removing the slat boards anyway.

Still have to jack up the braces under the living room and put a couple cinder blocks under there for support where the rotten portion of the sill was cut out. The main contractor is out of town till Monday but his helpers should be here today and possibly Saturday to continue the work.
Windows won't start getting installed until next week.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #711 on: May 03, 2019, 09:24:14 AM »
And so far the guys are no-shows.. Which tells me no work will get done till Monday >:(
I guess when the boss is away the workers will play..

Offline Imrahil

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7912
« Reply #712 on: May 04, 2019, 07:44:58 PM »
Why are you walling up the windows on the porch?

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #713 on: May 04, 2019, 10:46:14 PM »
Why are you walling up the windows on the porch?
It's just 1 window. To mount my 75" Vizio which completely blocks it already

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #714 on: May 04, 2019, 11:32:53 PM »
And then the rains came..
Had to use a couple plastic tables to cover over the exposed sill under the dining room windows cause they didn't get enough sheets of plywood..
That's ok so long as they get the job done this week.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #715 on: May 07, 2019, 05:21:14 AM »
And the work continues.. Only 5 days later :-X

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #716 on: May 07, 2019, 04:36:52 PM »
3 windows are installed! :highfive:

The living room support beams have been braced and rotted sil replaced.
Only the front porch window needs to be removed and braced for mounting the 75 inch Vizio along with wall insulation installed..

then for the cosmetic trim work along with the vinyl siding reinstalled and part 1 of this project is done.
They could be finished as early as Thursday :o
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 04:48:38 PM by RVR II »

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #717 on: May 08, 2019, 01:41:11 PM »
It's really amazing how much work gets done when the main contractor is around but when he's gone, the 2 workers seem to do more fiddle-farting around than doing actual work... They were supposed to have the vinyl siding back on today but they've only got about 5 or 6 strips reattached with much more to go and it's going on 5pm!
Thursday is no longer a predicted finishing day :grr:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 01:44:25 PM by RVR II »

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #718 on: May 09, 2019, 05:18:59 AM »
Yesterday was a wasted day. Other than the sheeting insulation board being put on for the moisture barrier under the vinyl siding and a few pieces of vinyl siding installed, nothing more was done other than hours wasting flashing material that was installed incorrectly around the new windows and had to be ripped out..
The main contractor has to take his dad to the doctor and will have to leave his 2 workers here again till he gets back and I'm not holding out much hope that they'll make much progress without his supervision  :-[

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #719 on: May 09, 2019, 05:57:25 PM »
Finally the vinyl siding is completed around the new windows side of the house :highfive:

and only the front porch window needs to be removed and walled up. They removed the vinyl siding in preparation for for removing, insulating, and walling it up.