Author Topic: Re: What Projects / Tasks do you have going on / to do??  (Read 64932 times)

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3740
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: What Projects / Tasks do you have going on / to do??
« Reply #660 on: November 18, 2018, 03:09:35 PM »
Cool! :o
My 75" HDTV entertainment center mod is on hold due to my crazy work schedule..
We are down 2 people and the rest of us are having to cover the extra work load to the point that I am physically exhausted when I get home and just want to go straight to bed :-[
Maybe I'll get some time on Thanksgiving day which will be my only day off for the foreseeable future :'(

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #661 on: November 22, 2018, 03:43:50 AM »
Finally got around to modifying my entertainment center and set up my new Vizio 75 inch HDTV
 :highfive: :cheers:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/kC1Cn5TTXo4" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/kC1Cn5TTXo4</a>

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #662 on: November 22, 2018, 07:43:56 AM »
And this HDTV includes Free Pluto TV with MST3k on channel 264 & RiffTrax on channel 265!!
 :highfive:

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2567
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #663 on: November 22, 2018, 10:17:05 AM »
And this HDTV includes Free Pluto TV with MST3k on channel 264 & RiffTrax on channel 265!!

You should also have that on the FireTV stick you got, Pluto is available for all the streaming devices and TVs.

Having that big TV on those little legs seems very scary to me, did you put a tip over strap on the back?  Not sure they include them any more, if not just use one of the wall mount screws near the top and put a rope connected from there down to the back of the entertainment unit, that way the TV can't tip forward.

Still can't decide what to do about getting a bigger 4K TV, I think I'm switching gears and will replace all the other components that need replacing first, like the receiver and blu-ray player, get everything up to HDMI 2.0 and wait until the spring to decide about the TV.  From what I've been reading the low end quantum dot TVs don't really do HDR very well, so the only advantage over a regular LED TV is more color range and a little more contrast.  I might as well wait and see what new stuff comes out in the spring, if nothing new then go with a mid range QLED model.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #664 on: November 22, 2018, 10:26:08 AM »

You should also have that on the FireTV stick you got, Pluto is available for all the streaming devices and TVs.

Having that big TV on those little legs seems very scary to me, did you put a tip over strap on the back?  Not sure they include them any more, if not just use one of the wall mount screws near the top and put a rope connected from there down to the back of the entertainment unit, that way the TV can't tip forward.

Yeah I use the Firestick for NFL games mostly

The legs have holes in them just big enough to run screws through them so I just screwed it to the 2 x 8 boards. Even if somebody tried to steal it, it's not coming off that stand now without damaging the TV in the process.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #665 on: November 24, 2018, 07:39:28 AM »
Started the long process of replacing all the hinges on my kitchen cabinet doors, all 42 of them, got 12 done last night.

The cup style pulls are a pain on your fingers with magnetic latches, when they release the door moves suddenly twisting your fingers in the cups, and half the doors would close on you while using the cabinet.  Self closing hinges are much better, no latches to deal with and the doors stay where you open them to.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #666 on: November 25, 2018, 07:25:48 AM »
14 more hinges done last night, 14 more to go.

Of course the screw holes for the new hinges don't match at all with the new ones, so I have to offset the new ones to make new holes.  I've got to mark the edges of the doors, measure over and draw a line, mark the holes and drill, stick the old screws in the new holes and paint the black marks left by the old hinges (using the paint to fill the old holes), then mount the hinges to the frame, place the door where it needs to be and mark the top of one hinge, then open the hinges and place the door back to mark the holes and drill, then mount the door.  Since almost all the doors are different sizes and have different amounts of overlay I have to do them all like that, making a template wouldn't work.

One side of the kitchen is all done now, looks better and the doors are easier to open and they stay open:
(spoilered for size)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #667 on: November 25, 2018, 04:17:45 PM »
And done...   Between the hinge project and moving leaves up to the street Friday and Saturday my arms are killing me.  And with all the work above my head and down near the floor I hope my back doesn't start acting up tomorrow, I'll have to remember not to sit at my computer too much at work.

In my quest to buy all the hinges I had to go to 2 different Lowe's, come to find out they are discontinuing the bulk packages (10 packs) for them, so once the current stock runs out all the hinges will have to be bought in 2 packs.  Looking at the price difference, my project would have cost $54 more.

Online wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 246
Re: Re: What Projects / Tasks do you have going on / to do??
« Reply #668 on: November 26, 2018, 03:31:40 PM »
More of a task than a project, but I replaced all of our 5+ year old smoke detectors (3) and CO /Explosive Gas detectors (2) today.
We've had the house 16 years and I know I replaced them all once, but I'm not really sure how old they were. Added battery replacement reminders to my Google calendar and a reminder to replace all the detectors again in 5 years (it's recommended smoke detectors get replaced every 10 years and CO detectors every 5 to 7, but better safe than sorry).
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 03:39:29 PM by wihogfan »

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #669 on: November 26, 2018, 07:12:00 PM »
I was just looking at the dates on my smoke/CO detectors last week, oldest one has a few more years on it.  And looking them up (I've only been in the house 2 years next month) I found they all have built in timers, and will start saying to replace them when they have been running for 7 years.  Well, 2 of them say words, one just chirps a different pattern when the detector is too old to detect CO.  Seems the CO detection gives out faster than the smoke detection.

Online wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #670 on: November 26, 2018, 08:01:10 PM »
Up coming Tech Project
I'm a tech geek and bought a Raspberry Pi  when I was looking for a tech project earlier this year but haven't done much with it other than setting it up with some old peripherals that I already had on hand and get it running as a pretty impressive $35 computer. Was fun for a few weeks, but has been sitting there ever since I got bored with testing what it could do.
After much reading about a bunch of different Pi projects and considering several options, I just ordered this to convert it into a handheld game emulator:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Raspberry-Pi-3B-Portable-3-5-LCD-Display-Handheld-Retro-Video-Game-Console/132745097058?hash=item1ee8396f62:rk:1:pf:0&var

Online wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #671 on: November 30, 2018, 09:51:53 PM »
I was just looking at the dates on my smoke/CO detectors last week, oldest one has a few more years on it.  And looking them up (I've only been in the house 2 years next month) I found they all have built in timers, and will start saying to replace them when they have been running for 7 years.  Well, 2 of them say words, one just chirps a different pattern when the detector is too old to detect CO.  Seems the CO detection gives out faster than the smoke detection.
Yeah, looking at the documention that came with my new detectors, they're all claiming a 10 year life span (even the CO/explosive gas detectors) and a warning when they're at the end of life. So they've improved greatly since I got them last.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #672 on: December 02, 2018, 02:49:18 PM »
Two more plastic venetian blinds replaced with cellular shades, so the bedroom is all cellular shades now.  Only 2 plastic blinds left in the house and those are in my media room and already covered with blackout curtains, so no need to change those.  Other venetian blinds in the house are quality 1 inch metal ones, so those I'm keeping.  The project with four cellular shades and the film sheets for the one big window ended up totaling about $200.  So, way more expensive that the plastic blinds but those 5 windows look much better now, and much better light blocking in the bedroom.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #673 on: December 08, 2018, 12:22:55 PM »
My kitchen cabinet hardware project continues...

Now I'm trying to figure out what to do about the door pulls I don't like.

This is what is on there, that white paint is there on purpose, it's a type of fake antiquing:

It's some kind of epoxy paint that won't come off with a stripper, heating with a propane torch and using a wire brush will get it off.  I like this better than with the paint but still not real fond of it.

Figured I would try painting them, here is one painted white:

I sort of like this better than the ones with the fake antiquing removed.  Still kind of meh, so it is an improvement.

This has me thinking what I really don't like are the cup pulls, but changing to a different design will be a major job, it's bare wood under those cup pulls, and who ever installed them did a terrible job drilling the holes, so each door would have to be taken off and worked on, holes filled, sanded, and painted.

Think for now I'll paint them all white and see how it is for a while, work is closed between Christmas and new years so I'll have a lot of time then to do the work if I decide to go with different looking pulls.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #674 on: December 13, 2018, 06:57:25 AM »
Looked through all the paints I have and may have found one that will save these cup pulls, pearlized white with a clear coat over it, did one side of the kitchen and will live with that for a while before deciding to do the other side this way or go with different hardware and all the work I'd have to do if I go to a different style of handle/pull.