login

Author Topic: Re: What Projects / Tasks do you have going on / to do??  (Read 57275 times)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3451
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: What Projects / Tasks do you have going on / to do??
« Reply #645 on: July 21, 2018, 11:20:34 AM »
What I thought would be an easy job of cleaning the dust off the ceiling fan in the kitchen turned into an hour long project.

I had to fix the switch for the fan when I moved in but never looked at the blades.  When a duster did nothing I got the ladder and looked at them, each one was coated with some kind of sticky oily crud.  Tried Windex and that did nothing.  So, had to take the fan apart, pull each blade off and put it in the sink.  For each one I had to soak a sponge in dish washing detergent and scrub the hell out of the surface.  Then put it all back together.

Come to think of it, when I moved in I tried to clean the glass shades around each bulb and ended up putting them in the dishwasher because nothing I sprayed on worked.
Oh wow I never heard of something like that before :o
Could it have been grease from the fan motor or something that coated the blades and light shades ???

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2336
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #646 on: July 21, 2018, 11:29:45 AM »
What I thought would be an easy job of cleaning the dust off the ceiling fan in the kitchen turned into an hour long project.

I had to fix the switch for the fan when I moved in but never looked at the blades.  When a duster did nothing I got the ladder and looked at them, each one was coated with some kind of sticky oily crud.  Tried Windex and that did nothing.  So, had to take the fan apart, pull each blade off and put it in the sink.  For each one I had to soak a sponge in dish washing detergent and scrub the hell out of the surface.  Then put it all back together.

Come to think of it, when I moved in I tried to clean the glass shades around each bulb and ended up putting them in the dishwasher because nothing I sprayed on worked.
Could it have been grease from the fan motor or something that coated the blades and light shades ???

No, not the fan motor, just grease from the kitchen, when I moved in I also had to spend an entire evening cleaning the oven, it was so covered with fat and grease that you couldn't see through the window, and you could hardly tell when the light bulb in there was on.  A lot of greasy stuff must have been cooked in that kitchen before I moved in.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #647 on: July 21, 2018, 12:31:02 PM »

No, not the fan motor, just grease from the kitchen, when I moved in I also had to spend an entire evening cleaning the oven, it was so covered with fat and grease that you couldn't see through the window, and you could hardly tell when the light bulb in there was on.  A lot of greasy stuff must have been cooked in that kitchen before I moved in.
Oh I was thinking it was a ceiling fan in a living room, dining room, or bedroom - totally missed you said it was in the kitchen,but now I can see that happening over the years..
It's a wonder the previous owners are still alive and not dead from those greasy meals :speechless:

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 131
Re: Re: What Projects / Tasks do you have going on / to do??
« Reply #648 on: July 25, 2018, 08:53:08 AM »
Another minor project- took apart and cleaned an old vacuum cleaner.
Wife had gotten a deal a few years ago for an overpriced Dyson bag-less vacuum- she got it for half price. After about 3 months despite what they advertise, it lost all suction. I took it apart and cleaned it, but still didn't vacuum well.
Fortunately the store she got it from at the time had a very generous return policy and she returned it and got a bag-less Shark vacuum. It cleaned better than the Dyson ever did, but after about 6 months it lost all suction just like the Dyson. I had had enough of bag-less vacuums at that point, so I bought a cheap Panasonic bag vacuum off Amazon for $80. It worked great for the last couple of years, but the motor burned out last week.
Really didn't want to spend the money on a new vacuum, so I pulled the Shark out of the basement, took it apart, cleaned it, and it's working as good as new. Was extremely easy to take apart- far easier than I remember the Dyson being. I still don't like the bag-less-ness of it as the container on it is pretty small and it has to be emptied after every room (2 of our 3 dogs shed, so always lots of dog hair).   

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #649 on: August 17, 2018, 01:31:15 AM »
Going into my attic to start removing stuff like furniture items from years past.
Stuff like bed frames, end tables, lamps, etc from my late wife's family to donate as it's just taking up too much space up there and I'll never use again.
I'll probably put some more scrap plywood up there to use as flooring to keep from sticking my feet through the ceiling and to shuffle stuff around on.. Already have a lot of scrap plywood down already and with the removal of those old furniture items, that will clear out some space to put down more plywood in the meantime.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #650 on: August 26, 2018, 03:43:46 AM »
Got a new set of tires on my Sienna.. Before I start work at the Post Office 8)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/oU_TJ8Yj9R8" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/oU_TJ8Yj9R8</a>

Picked up a sectional sofa from Habitat for Humanity for my Mega Shed when the tenant moves out next month..
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/mJb0akJsrIo" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/mJb0akJsrIo</a>

And troubleshot my Maytag washing machine..
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/vX7oPknalFs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/vX7oPknalFs</a>

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #651 on: August 26, 2018, 07:35:03 AM »
Belts still seem to have too much slack to me.  Usually there is a pivot on the motor to make the main drum belt tight, and then you adjust the water pump (you start with the water pump in the loose position).

Unless the motor is on a pivot with a spring, you shouldn't be able to get a belt on or off without loosening a bolt somewhere to move the pulley.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #652 on: August 26, 2018, 07:41:34 AM »
Belts still seem to have too much slack to me.  Usually there is a pivot on the motor to make the main drum belt tight, and then you adjust the water pump (you start with the water pump in the loose position).

Unless the motor is on a pivot with a spring, you shouldn't be able to get a belt on or off without loosening a bolt somewhere to move the pulley.
Yeah I agree. Not sure how to take out any more slack other than modifying the water pump mount..
I'll keep a tab on this and if I have to modify the water pump mount holes, I will.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #653 on: August 26, 2018, 09:27:06 AM »

Yeah I agree. Not sure how to take out any more slack other than modifying the water pump mount..
I'll keep a tab on this and if I have to modify the water pump mount holes, I will.

I was really thinking of the belt for the drum, that looks way too loose on the motor side.

There is no bolt to pivot the motor?  That how it is on my Maytag, but it only has one belt, the pump has it's own motor.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #654 on: August 26, 2018, 09:30:27 AM »
My own mini project, went to trim the bushes by the road so I could see when coming out of my driveway and the ground fault outlet on the front porch blew out.  So had to make a quick trip to Lowes and get a replacement.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #655 on: August 26, 2018, 09:36:56 AM »

I was really thinking of the belt for the drum, that looks way too loose on the motor side.

There is no bolt to pivot the motor?  That how it is on my Maytag, but it only has one belt, the pump has it's own motor.
There's no way to adjust that. The springs under the electric motor adjust the tension during cycles.
Here's a better video my model Maytag washer that I used to do my repair:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LBbxkdB0-Xo" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LBbxkdB0-Xo</a>

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #656 on: August 26, 2018, 10:15:01 AM »
OK, so they run the thing normally with the belts that loose, seems to me that would lead to extra slipping and faster wearing out.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #657 on: August 26, 2018, 11:23:10 AM »
OK, so they run the thing normally with the belts that loose, seems to me that would lead to extra slipping and faster wearing out.
Yeah me too though it's run fine for the last 20 years like this.. Weird ???

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #658 on: October 02, 2018, 05:31:13 PM »
Wax seal on my upstairs toilet was leaking a little, what a mess getting all that old wax cleaned out in order to put the new one in.  Must have gone through half a roll of paper towels.