login

Author Topic: Re: What Projects / Tasks do you have going on / to do??  (Read 57641 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2361
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: What Projects / Tasks do you have going on / to do??
« Reply #615 on: March 10, 2018, 09:18:03 AM »
The unit isn't that big, it's a small attic, house has only about 1000 square feet that needs cooling.

The high velocity is the way to go for an old house, the 4 inch round ducts don't take up much space, they just box off a little bit of the corner of an upstairs room to run the duct down to the first floor.  The way they hang the attic unit from the roof you don't hear any vibration even in the room directly under it.  And the high speed air takes moisture out faster than a normal unit hooked up to a hot air furnace.  But yeah, they are expensive.  But anything added to an old house is expensive...

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3491
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #616 on: March 10, 2018, 09:38:08 AM »
That's about the size of my house before I added on the 300sq ft addition onto the back..
Ok I'll keep that high velocity style in mind for the future and yeah that's what I thought was the reasoning for it hanging like that so it wouldn't vibrate the house. Pretty cool setup :o

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #617 on: March 11, 2018, 11:06:58 AM »
Ok I'll keep that high velocity style in mind for the future and yeah that's what I thought was the reasoning for it hanging like that so it wouldn't vibrate the house. Pretty cool setup :o

If you go with high velocity make sure you get a good installer, if they go cheap the system can be very loud, I was wondering why my attic is filled with long sections of 4 inch duct when the outlet was right next to the large duct.  The reason is each outlet needs to have the same length of duct, so if there are 15 foot lengths to reach the first floor there needs to be 15 feet coiled up for each outlet on the second floor.

For my 2nd project of the weekend, an easy one.

I got 2 of these solar LED motion sensing lights from Amazon, they light up the area really nicely when you walk near them:

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #618 on: March 11, 2018, 11:37:57 AM »
Ok I'll note that down though my house is only 1 level.

I got one of these Sansi LED motion sensor lights (not solar powered) and they light up almost my entire driveway :o
https://www.amazon.com/Security-Incandescent-Equivalent-Waterproof-Floodlights/dp/B01MR6LLAI/ref=pd_sbs_60_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=884FRH8SAQGTHSDH7658

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #619 on: March 11, 2018, 02:44:29 PM »
I can't really do that, the 3 floodlights on the house are on the same switch as the light inside the enclosed back entrance, I did put LED bulbs in them so the 3 floods that light up the back and side of the house where the driveway is don't use too much power.  I think with these solar powered ones from now on I won't have to leave those floods on when I go out.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #620 on: March 29, 2018, 07:04:46 PM »
Got tired of the tinny sound of the TV in the kitchen so got a soundbar and installed it tonight:

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #621 on: March 30, 2018, 02:30:04 PM »
My 'project' lately has been dealing with slack-ass tenants living in my Mega-Shed..
I rented it out to a couple back in November 2017 and things were going fine till the start of 2018.. Their car blew it's motor causing them both to lose their jobs in January. Then their car got repo'd the next month and then the guy's wife left soon after that. He has been either catching rides with shady characters or peddling on a bike trying to find work but couldn't find much other than a dishwasher at a restaurant. He was bothering me to take him here and there like to job interviews, to the grocery store, to pick up money being wired from a family member, etc and I put a stop to that. I'm the landlord, not a shuttle service..
The contract arrangement was $350 every 2 weeks for $700 per month includes power, water, internet, & digital antenna, as well as being furnished with a washer, dryer, fridge, microwave, convection oven, window AC/heater unit, and since January I've only received $360. Been told one sob story after another from him till I finally had enough and gave him till the end of the month to pack his stuff up and get out andFinally today his stuff has been moved out with help from some other shady characters after days of waiting.
I already have someone else lined up to move in right when tax season ends so that will help me out big time. He seems a lot more financially stable than this guy so it will be nice to have a steady flow of income till I can find a full time job.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #622 on: April 02, 2018, 04:19:01 PM »
The freeloading tenant is gone for good!
Got the locks changed then pressure washed the Mega Shed back deck furniture..
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/OV3IASIdA8g" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/OV3IASIdA8g</a>
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/R8-GFapkLmc" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/R8-GFapkLmc</a>
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-Ey_S5p5fIA" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-Ey_S5p5fIA</a>

And also the coworker at Target came by and likes the place! He confirmed that he will be moving in on April 15.
Overall a busy productive day 8)

Offline kylemason

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #623 on: April 12, 2018, 12:35:29 AM »

And also the coworker at Target came by and likes the place! He confirmed that he will be moving in on April 15.
Nice job!

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #624 on: April 12, 2018, 08:18:20 AM »

Nice job!
Thanks though you seem to have a history of spamming other forums..
Country of origin:  Singapore
16-Mar-18 11:18    support113    surajtiwari2581@gmail.com    India    
10-Feb-18 16:14    Mandy Crawford    albern630@gmail.com    India    
27-Jan-18 22:00    marssha1912    marssha1912@ugimail.net            India    
21-Jul-17 13:48    Fieldengineer    jackson06071995@gmail.com    Singapore    
Banned 8)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #625 on: June 09, 2018, 03:52:53 PM »
Replaced the belt and idler pulley on my dryer.  Noticed they were somewhat worn out last year when I opened it up for inspection, same time I did the big bearing repair on the washer, kept meaning to order replacements from amazon but just never got around to it until now.  Also ordered a spare igniter and spare set of gas valve coils, pretty cheap and who knows how much life is left in the 11 year old ones that are in there now.  The rollers are in great shape so didn't bother replacing those.

Took less time than the load of wash I put in just before starting on the project.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #626 on: June 15, 2018, 08:04:10 AM »
Not much of a project, but after months of looking at them after the 3 day outage earlier this year I finally settled on a DuroMax XP2000EH dual fuel unit, don't ever intend to run it off gasoline but it's nice that it can use both.  It should be able to run my fridge, my hot water heat, and other low power stuff like a laptop and TV.  And last overnight on one tank of propane.

I picked up an extension cord and a plug to make a cheater cord with plugs on both ends for running the heat, just have to be careful to make sure the breaker is off so if power comes back on it doesn't burn up the generator.

Ran a 1500W space heater off it for about 10 minutes to test it out.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #627 on: June 16, 2018, 03:29:55 PM »
Used about 10 pounds of 2 different types of Quickrete to fix the big cracks and holes in my back stairs, quick setting for the vertical holes and regular vinyl enhanced for the flat areas.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #628 on: June 16, 2018, 05:27:23 PM »
That's a great job there Marty :o
All my cracked sidewalks were covered over with stone back in 2007 but my front maple tree is cracking that now  :-[

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #629 on: June 16, 2018, 06:39:22 PM »
I did use a cold chisel to widen the cracks before filling in with quickrete, so hopefully it will last a while.

Mostly I want to keep water out of the cracks, if there is a huge downpour (more than 1 inch in an hour) there is a little water that has been making it into that corner of the basement, so hopefully those cracks were the cause and are sealed up now.