Author Topic: Re: What Projects / Tasks do you have going on / to do??  (Read 68462 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2640
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: What Projects / Tasks do you have going on / to do??
« Reply #540 on: October 12, 2017, 06:46:15 PM »
Buy the glossy clearcoated ones, if you haven't. They hold the ink a lot better than the flat ones.

I used to love printing discs. Never have the time anymore.

I thought about it, but when I priced it out, those were almost triple the cost.  The smearing isn't really a problem.  The ink is drying quickly.

But now my DVD burner is having trouble trying to burn to the labelled disc.  Which is very confusing because it burnt to the first disc just fine.  But now I am trying to burn Godzilla, Death Promise, and Deady Instinct..... It hung at 2% and has been there for 45 minutes.

Are you supposed to print them before burning?  I would think you'd want to do it the other way around.

Or your burner has lost power, when I used to burn a lot of discs I was always replacing drives, the higher power needed while burning wears out the laser faster.

Offline Imrahil

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7908
« Reply #541 on: October 12, 2017, 07:18:44 PM »
Buy the glossy clearcoated ones, if you haven't. They hold the ink a lot better than the flat ones.

I thought about it, but when I priced it out, those were almost triple the cost.  The smearing isn't really a problem.  The ink is drying quickly.

It does dry out, and then it fades and bleeds over time due to humidity and such. Think "old tattoos."  But as you like.

And yes, Marty's got the right of it. Burn first, then print.

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 375
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #542 on: October 13, 2017, 03:43:15 AM »

But now my DVD burner is having trouble trying to burn to the labelled disc.  Which is very confusing because it burnt to the first disc just fine.  But now I am trying to burn Godzilla, Death Promise, and Deady Instinct..... It hung at 2% and has been there for 45 minutes.

Are you supposed to print them before burning?  I would think you'd want to do it the other way around.

Or your burner has lost power, when I used to burn a lot of discs I was always replacing drives, the higher power needed while burning wears out the laser faster.

Ah crap.  I already printed off 20 labelled but blank discs.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #543 on: October 13, 2017, 04:24:04 AM »
Burned the ISO onto an unlabelled disc.  It seemed to burn okay, and the disc was not empty (I couldn't burn it again), but the disc was devoid of contents (couldn't play on computer or DVD player).

I burned a different copy onto one of my older, non printable DVDs, and it worked fine.

What do you think?  Is the drive wearing out?  Did I get bad discs?
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #544 on: October 13, 2017, 07:17:00 AM »
If it worked on the old disc the laser must still have some life in it.

I guess if you try a few more printable discs and they don't work it's either a bad batch of discs or some incompatibility issue with your burner.  No way to tell unless you can test out some discs with a different burner.

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #545 on: October 13, 2017, 07:23:50 AM »
If it worked on the old disc the laser must still have some life in it.

I guess if you try a few more printable discs and they don't work it's either a bad batch of discs or some incompatibility issue with your burner.  No way to tell unless you can test out some discs with a different burner.

I can probably "rent" a DVD burner from Walmart (that is, use, keep the packaging, then return it later if it's still not burning right).

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1513
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #546 on: October 14, 2017, 04:28:20 AM »
Whenever I bought a spindle of blank cds or dvds there was always a few duds in the batch. Maybe you hit those for your pack?

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #547 on: October 14, 2017, 06:23:45 AM »
I think I figured out what was happening with the DVDs.  I burn with DVD Decrypter, which hooks into Nero in a strange way that lets me continue to use it despite the trial license having expired like 10 years ago.  Anyway, DVD Decrypter defaults the burning speed to 16x, but it is adjustable.  I turned the speed down to 2x and have been able to burn 3 discs so far, with the labels already printed prior to burning.  It doesn't even take that much longer.... maybe 3 extra minutes per disc.  Granted that will add up when I have roughly 300 discs to burn.... but I'll take that hit in time to save money.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #548 on: October 14, 2017, 08:44:29 AM »
That makes sense, if those printable disks are not as well balanced as a regular disk spinning at higher speed would cause more vibration, especially after printing if there is more ink on one side.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #549 on: October 20, 2017, 05:21:32 AM »
So the house next door to me has been getting renovated the last several months and I've had this leaning tree that was little by little becoming a threat of falling onto that house so first I stabilized it..
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/D7zujvvArzs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/D7zujvvArzs</a>

Then a friend of mine let me borrow his come-a-long cable winch to drag it down..
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/U1rskb-4ZfM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/U1rskb-4ZfM</a>
So the liability threat it posed has been eliminated 8)

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #550 on: October 20, 2017, 05:26:18 AM »
Still progressing on my Rifftrax reorganization and relabelling project.  With the new 4 Tb hard drive in, I have enough space to keep the ISO files for everything.  But the ISOs for several older projects were lost in a hard drive failure many years ago.  I'd had a Carbonite backup for the most critical files, but those were too big to backup.  Besides, the burnt copies were my backups.  So now I'm creating new ISO files where necessary. 

Once that is done, I'll print out all the discs.

Finally, when the discs are all printed, I'll burn them.

Each of these tasks is small for each RT project, but the fact that I have to do each several hundred times is a drag.

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #551 on: October 23, 2017, 01:49:47 AM »
All my Rifftrax are ripped to ISO now, except for two.  Somehow the DVDs of Eragon and X-Men are damaged and only partially readable.  Couldn't rip them to ISO, so I have to start the reauthor again from scratch.  It looks like it's taking up 1.3 Tb total.

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #552 on: October 24, 2017, 09:46:15 AM »
My reauthored DVDs for X-Men, Carnival of Souls, and Eragon were somehow damaged or corrupted.  I couldn't rip them to ISO, or demultiplex them.  So I pretty much have to reauthor again from scratch.  Boo.

I'm printing off the disc labels, in alphabetical order.  I've made it partially through the "M" (I think the last one I printed was Mesa of Lost Women).  So far I'm doing okay on ink.  Burned through a whole yellow and cyan cartridge, but I have plenty of spares: 4 of each color (well.... 3 yellow and cyan now).

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #553 on: November 12, 2017, 10:56:53 AM »
Leaves.  Endless leaves!

Makes me want to cut down all the stupid trees.    ;)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #554 on: November 12, 2017, 11:02:19 AM »
Leaves.  Endless leaves!

Makes me want to cut down all the stupid trees.    ;)
I'm about ready to call my Mexican landscaper friend to come blow them all to the street.. Maybe after Thanksgiving 8)