login

Author Topic: Return of LOST  (Read 35485 times)

Offline J-Proof

• J-Proof
  • The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
Return of LOST
« on: February 07, 2007, 11:38:56 PM »
I hope I'm not in the minority with this thinking, but tonight's return episode of LOST pretty much pwned. And I mean PWWWWNED.

Here's what I posted on 4815162342.com:

[Why I loved tonight's ep....]

1.) Subtle and not-so-subtle story-development: We can see through the provoking bus-incident that the Others seem even less like scientists and more like mafiosos. Me likey. It definitely helped me understand the Others as menacing and manipulative (er - more so than before).

2.) Back story of an Other: This is pretty much a first for Lost; the show revealed something about an Other's past life all the way back to how she got on the island (at least far enough for us to fill in the gaps as to how she got onto the island). If they give us something like this on Benry, I'd say my bloodlust will be quenched.

3.) Action: Gun-toating Others against desparado Sawyer, and Kate even Han-Soloed old "what's-his-name" the guard. Most satisfying. And the previews lead us to believe that there is an all out seige of the Others' camp. I'm definitely looking forward to that.

4.) Season One Reference: The entire idea of using Jack's story from episode one to confirm Kate and Sawyer's safety was magnificent. Anything that relates to the legendary first season is most welcome in my opinion. I definitely want more of that.

5.) A Step Away from Soap Opera: The problem many had with Lost before (not necessarily something I had beef with) was how mysteries go unsolved and we, the audience, are left bored and confused. Well, that wouldn't have been a problem had the show contained more action to make up for the lack of answers. Today we get that: We aren't given any gigantic revelations, in fact we are left with more hints to piece together, but the overall lack of solutions is countered by the jungle-chasing and shoot-outs etc. This kept me mentally and emotionally involved with the characters throughout the entire episode. Plus, having a progression in the story where some of the characters are now free to return to camp and enlist help allows the audience to feel as though the characters themselves will soon be gifted with glorious and vindicative answers! Huzzah!

I really loved todays ep and am more than glad Lost has returned to us! I hope I'm not the only one who thinks so. Keep up the action and the mystery in a healthy balance and I could watch years' worth of new Lost seasons!

Anyone agree? I'm kind of a LOST fanatic so it'd be fun to have our own incredibly educated and wonderful thread on this idiot-proof forum as to people's theories etc. Not saying everyone on other LOST boards are a bunch of nimrods, just saying our crowd seems smarter than most ;)

Lemme know what you think guys.
J to the Pizzo
P to the Jizzay...

Offline puuuma

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
Re: Return of LOST
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 11:54:36 PM »
J-Proof, you just read my mind. I was going to start a thread for tonights episode. I too, am a big Lost fan. Absolutely loved tonights episode. My mind is still processing the ep, so I'm throwing out random thoughts.

That mind-control room Carl was in was c-r-a-z-y. Just when I thought the Others were topped out at kookiness, they throw in something like that. Side note, Carl was in room 23. Another little drop of "the numbers."

I was convinced that Juliet's ex, Edmund, was going to be the same one who offed himself in the hatch. Wasn't that his name? And you're right, we now know how sneaky & dirty the Others can play. As lame as it sounds, I didn't see the bus incident coming. My husband & I just looked at each other in disbelief.

Now, are all the male "Others" sterile? Is that why they need Juliet so bad? Ethan looked just as creepy in tonights episode. Love to hear everyone's thoughts.

Ya' down with O.T.T? Yeah you know me.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 742
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 12:28:23 AM »
I liked it. I thought tonight's episode was way better than the any in the first part of the season. One nitpick for me though. That shot in Miami outside Juliet's window had me laughing! I was born and raised there and if that plane was landing, it was going in the water! Also to get that shot you have to be on another bridge! Other than that, it was a great episode!

Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Grillslinger

• Magneto-cent Member
    • Grillslinger's Creations
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 06:46:11 AM »
I loved it!

I also don't understand why people have a problem with not getting the answers right away. It's a long story. The answers will come. Once everyting is answered, there's no more show to do.

I'm glad they're taking their time. I hope the rest of the season is as good as this last episode was.

Offline mrbakasan

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 06:58:22 AM »
I think this was the best episode of the season.  I agree with your points J-Proof.  The shining moments for me were the info about the "purple sky" and that Bat Manuel from the Tick is working for the Dharma corp. 

What gets me is how they throw things in there to get people talking, such as the one character reading "A Brief History of Time."  I'm willing to bet that is somehow a clue or hint to something.  Maybe not.

Offline puuuma

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 07:40:43 AM »
I think this was the best episode of the season.  I agree with your points J-Proof.  The shining moments for me were the info about the "purple sky" and that Bat Manuel from the Tick is working for the Dharma corp. 

What gets me is how they throw things in there to get people talking, such as the one character reading "A Brief History of Time."  I'm willing to bet that is somehow a clue or hint to something.  Maybe not.

I can't take credit for this anagram, but Mittelos also spells out Lost Time (or vice versa).
Ya' down with O.T.T? Yeah you know me.

Offline MrCinatit

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 08:02:47 AM »
I thought this was a most excellent episode, and gave me hopes for a show I was quite worried about - some of the season's episodes were let downs.

I loved it!
I also don't understand why people have a problem with not getting the answers right away. It's a long story. The answers will come. Once everyting is answered, there's no more show to do.
I'm glad they're taking their time. I hope the rest of the season is as good as this last episode was.

My problem wasn't with not getting the answers too fast. My problem was actually getting an answer too fast - and not really being too impressed with that answer. Seeing the smoke creature earlier this year was a huge let down.
Whisper words of wisdom.
Everytime you hear an explosion in space, a kitten dies. Won't you think of the kittens?

Offline dignan

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 3
  • If Val's happy, I'm happy!
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 10:06:12 AM »
Loved last night's episode.  It was cool to see yet another Deadwood alum (after Joanie and Trixie) show up last night (Jane, here playing Juliet's sister), and I just really enjoyed the episode as a whole.  It was hugely entertaining, which is always a good thing.  The next 15 weeks are gonna be fun. 

Offline J-Proof

• J-Proof
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 10:08:17 AM »
Yeah - I have never been bugged with the lack of answers etc - I was only annoyed that they'd go on and on with the show and give us both no answers and no action to keep us involved.

We basically invested six episodes-worth of our lives in the Fall to Jack sitting in a tank, and Kate and Sawyer having incredibly nasty sex in a dirty bear cage.... Season Two ended pretty decent, but most of Season Two was more sitting, waiting, talking, and frustration (and they ruined Locke in that season).

This ep was great - Apocalypto-jungle-running, shoot-em-ups etc... I loved it! They're gonna need more of this to make up for Eko being killed off, and Kate choosing Sawyer imo ;)

I'm also glad Locke is back to being the old Locke, and it looks like he's gonna be going Other-hunting next week!
J to the Pizzo
P to the Jizzay...

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 247
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 10:20:48 AM »
For some reason embedding this like any other flash won't work.

LOST's new Theme Song: http://www.collegehumor.com/picture:1739531/ (funny)

Offline dignan

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 3
  • If Val's happy, I'm happy!
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 10:39:40 AM »
For some reason embedding this like any other flash won't work.

LOST's new Theme Song: http://www.collegehumor.com/picture:1739531/ (funny)

I saw that last week, completely cracked me up.  "We're LOST! On an island...of loooove."

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2552
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2007, 04:41:17 PM »
I too loved it!

I have to download the episodes because we're so far behind here in Australia, but I am sick of the haters. This show is clever, fun and really entertaining.

I can't wait for the next episode!
FINE

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2007, 05:09:50 PM »
How many more "women of Deadwood" will we see on this show?? 3 so far.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline J-Proof

• J-Proof
LOST EPISODE 3-FRICKIN-8!!!!
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2007, 11:22:27 PM »
[turns off tv] [stand up and does some stretches] [twists about] [clears throat] [sprays banaca in his mouth]

HOLY. CRAP.

THAT WAS AWWWWESOME!!!!!
Okay - not to sound like a Lost fanboy (tho I am) - but tonight's episode was AWESOME. AWESOME. I mean - AWESOME.

Spoiler ahead, and I don't feel like using the tag:

Desmond has opened Lost up to the fourth dimension, man - and it was INSANE. I mean - the whole destiny versus choice issue is getting way too cool. And we even got some crazy old lady that /knows/ stuff telling him what to do. Saving Charlie? Oh my gosh..... I'm beyond words.... AAAAAAH.

Major questions:
- How many times has Desmond relived the Island? If only once, then how could he tell what was going to happen to Charlie?
- Who was the old lady? Is she the smoke monster in a different form? How does she know.....things....?
- Will Penny ever reach Desmond? We saw at the end of Season Two that she is looking for him with high-tech equipment.
- Why do cricket ball bats cause people to have incredible dillusions?

Any other thoughts? Cuz I'm really not thinking coherently after this last one! And guess what? Mysteries revealed next week!!

[/turns off tv] [/stand up and does some stretches] [/twists about] [/clears throat] [/sprays banaca in his mouth]
J to the Pizzo
P to the Jizzay...

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2007, 11:42:26 PM »
I don't know.... I was left with an icky "groundhog day" feeling all over.  Next weeks looks decent.