Author Topic: Rolling Stone [magazine] - modern guitar Gods  (Read 7677 times)

Offline pyro

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1
Rolling Stone [magazine] - modern guitar Gods
« on: February 07, 2007, 07:57:34 PM »
Finally has a cover story worth something for the first time in a while....

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/category/magazine-preview/

link has a cool video of the photo shoot
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 10:52:48 PM by pyro »

Offline pyro

• Not Hurt By Pain
Re: Rolling Stone [magazine] - modern guitar Gods
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 10:54:23 PM »
Only just saw the list

Tom Morello
John Mayer
Derek Trucks
John Frusciante
Luther Dickinson
Nels Cline
Warren Haynes
Jim James
Carl Broemel
Adam Jones
Kaki King
Mike McCready
Stone Gossard
Omar Rodriguez-Lopez
Ed O'Brien
Johnny Greenwood
Chuck Garvey
Al Schnier
Matt Pike
Jack White

I just saw Nels Cline last Friday for $5 in someone's basement and today I find out he's listed in Rolling Stone as a modern guitar god

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 0
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 11:37:05 PM »
Only just saw the list

Tom Morello
John Mayer
Derek Trucks
John Frusciante
Luther Dickinson
Nels Cline
Warren Haynes
Jim James
Carl Broemel
Adam Jones
Kaki King
Mike McCready
Stone Gossard
Omar Rodriguez-Lopez
Ed O'Brien
Johnny Greenwood
Chuck Garvey
Al Schnier
Matt Pike
Jack White

I just saw Nels Cline last Friday for $5 in someone's basement and today I find out he's listed in Rolling Stone as a modern guitar god

That's only a minute smidgeon of the true modern Guitar gods...

Offline Wheaty Petestraw

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 01:04:45 PM »
I know this is just a corporate magazine and you should never take the shit they say seriously, but what the hell are these twats thinking?

That list should begin and end with Muhammed Suicmez.
my entry made my girlfriend laugh a few times, the best I can hope for really.

I'd say Whalberg definately qualifies as really good.

Offline pyro

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 07:56:03 PM »
tis only a smidgeon, and I only respect so many of them, but I really have to give them props for putting Derek Trucks on the cover, that really surprised me

also I don't really see what's so horribly wrong about the list, or atleast some (6) of them...  there's nothing mainstream or corporate (except their labels) about Derek Trucks, Luther Dickinson, Warren Haynes, and especially Nels Cline considering most of his reputation comes from his avant garde stuff since he's only been in Wilco for 2 years

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 08:11:34 AM »
I know this is just a corporate magazine and you should never take the shit they say seriously, but what the hell are these twats thinking?

That list should begin and end with Muhammed Suicmez.

I seriously doubt a trendy crapmag like Rolling Stone would ever mention a Death Metal guitarist, no matter how good he is. Guitar World, OTOH...

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 247
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 08:47:56 AM »
The hell is John frigging Mayer doing on that list?

He may convince the Dave Matthews band crowd that he's got talent, but a guitar god he is not.

Offline pyro

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 10:41:01 AM »
Guitar God may be a stretch, but he does have talent, and people beyond the DMB crowd seem to agree, like; Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy, Charlie Hunter, Ben Harper, BB King, Herbie Hancock, Steve Jordan, Sly & The Family Stone, Aaron Neville, etc

Also the DMB crowd blows, but I've gained a lot of respect for the band itself

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2qs9DAne5VY

can't get the youtube function to work anymore....
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 10:45:04 AM by pyro »

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 247
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 10:53:31 AM »
DMB, to me, is just suburban white kid fluff. Their tunes are catchy, sure, but that doesn't make their songs good or the band anymore talented. Granted their members may have talent (their drummer is amazingly good at what he does) but for me, well.. I've seen them live (worked at a venue) and they bored me to tears.

In any event I wonder what the criteria is for making the list. I agree with you that Suicmez should be on there. If it's raw talent they're seeking to put in that list, then yeah. Put him along with Michael Angel Badio, and others. It saddens me to see the guitarists from Pearl Jam and Tool up there, but only one guy who's in a metal band (Matt from High On Fire - although stoner metal isn't exactly a favorite of mine).

I have the same problem with Tool and Pearl jam that I have with DMB. They may be talented musicians, but whenever I hear their music I have to tune it out. Adam from Tool is okay, but people seem to be amazed at odd time signatures and syncopation, but there are a million bands (especially along the likes of Necrophagist) who can do that stuff in their sleep.

Needless to say I don't put much stock into guitar magazines anymore, especially the heavy metal ones. They put Darrel Abbot's crapfest "Hell Yeah!" (yes, that's the name of the band) on the cover and yet actually talented, real metal bands who are barely known as it is, get pushed to a one-column mention on page 148.

Offline SaucyRossy

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 04:37:34 PM »
Im not a musician Torgo so this isn't coming from any one with any know how but I gotta say I don't think that any old band can do what Tool does in their sleep.......

The whole band works as one and is a really amazing experience live.....
Just because Tool is so popular to me in know way diminishes there abilities as musicians....but I am a Tool apologist.  :-

Ever seen Danny on the drums?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAg5-zn_qeA&mode=related&search=

As for John Mayer and DMB...they are crap.

www.rifftraxfan.com - Check out Gammers RiffTrax Fan page!

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 05:56:39 PM »
I have the same problem with Tool and Pearl jam that I have with DMB. They may be talented musicians, but whenever I hear their music I have to tune it out. Adam from Tool is okay, but people seem to be amazed at odd time signatures and syncopation, but there are a million bands (especially along the likes of Necrophagist) who can do that stuff in their sleep.

The last Tool concert I went to I was sitting by this idiot who was completely wasted.  He kept asking me if I was into crazy times.  I thought he was trying to peddle me some of the stuff he was on, but apparently he just really like liked Tool's time signatures.  And he went on and on about it incoherently.  People do make a bigger deal out of it than it is.  However, I likes me some Tool.

Offline zaxxon25

• Sparkles in Sunlight
    • BoC Thurs
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 06:40:07 AM »
I echo the "it's Rolling Stone, what do you expect?" sentiment.  Some of the finest guitarists I've seen live like Nick Saloman of Bevis Frond or Alasdair MacLean of the Clientele won't ever sniff a list like this one.  And if you think Nels Cline makes it without the Wilco linkage I have a few Grammys I'd like to sell you ...

Offline mrbakasan

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 11:38:04 PM »
Where is Yingwie Malmsteen on the list?  Okay, so maybe he hasn't done anything big in like 20 years, but he is still awesome.

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 07:57:55 AM »
Where is Yingwie Malmsteen on the list?  Okay, so maybe he hasn't done anything big in like 20 years, but he is still awesome.

I'm sure he's been featured at some point in Rolling Stone's history. Maybe back while he was big(figuratively, not literally)

Offline pyro

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 10:24:45 AM »
DMB, to me, is just suburban white kid fluff. Their tunes are catchy, sure, but that doesn't make their songs good or the band anymore talented. Granted their members may have talent (their drummer is amazingly good at what he does) but for me, well.. I've seen them live (worked at a venue) and they bored me to tears.

In any event I wonder what the criteria is for making the list. I agree with you that Suicmez should be on there. If it's raw talent they're seeking to put in that list, then yeah. Put him along with Michael Angel Badio, and others. It saddens me to see the guitarists from Pearl Jam and Tool up there, but only one guy who's in a metal band (Matt from High On Fire - although stoner metal isn't exactly a favorite of mine).

Needless to say I don't put much stock into guitar magazines anymore, especially the heavy metal ones. They put Darrel Abbot's crapfest "Hell Yeah!" (yes, that's the name of the band) on the cover and yet actually talented, real metal bands who are barely known as it is, get pushed to a one-column mention on page 148.

The band actually originated as a jazz group in Charlottesville, VA (minus the bass player) untill Dave came up from Africa and they joined him...

Fact about DMB and John Mayer though is that people are turned off by them because of their MTV status and the teeny boppers and etc that follow that, but there is definetly more to them than that.  I already posted a link of DMB w/ Warren Haynes up there doing Cortez The Killer, here's the breakdown of one of their own songs with Robert Randolph (when he was worthwhile) and a horn section http://youtube.com/watch?v=UVwaKXBQADM , and i'm too lazy to keep looking for other stuff and I guess it still really won't show much if you have your mind made up...

And John Mayer, I read an interview or heard one somewhere talking about his 3 album plan - pop stuff to get signed and get an audience, some pop stuff and some real stuff (mostly blues I guess in his case), then 3rd album almost entirely what he wants to do.  At the Grammy's for his second album I guess when he got the award for "Daughters" he said "I didn't think this was the right choice for a single, and I still don't"... He may not be a guitar god, but he's definetly not some mainstream chump http://youtube.com/watch?v=3Ti8NAskKBI (Hoochie Coochie Man w/ Buddy Guy, Phil Lesh (Grateful Dead), ?uestlove (The Roots))  At one point while listening to his new album my dad said "God, sounds just like an Al Green song", which should mean something coming from him since he did a documentary with him back in the 80's I guess

My point on this Rolling Stone article though was just that they recognized any current great guitarists at all, let alone putting one like Derek Trucks on the cover.  But I still think there's people better fit for it than some (Buckethead more than the dipshits from the jamband moe.) and insanely stupid writing (suggested song for Warren Haynes is "Mr High & Mighty", and they indicate that Nels is only in Wilco now)