login

Author Topic: Just what the hell is Turner thinking!  (Read 4395 times)

Offline Thom_Serveaux

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1
  • *Platypus Sound*
Re: Just what the hell is Turner thinking!
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2007, 05:49:05 PM »
It just seems that for the most part, things are done as cheaply as possible.  Now there are some exceptions, of course. Boondocks being the prime example, the production values, especially the art and animation are absolutely gorgeous!  My only gripe is that sometimes it seems to come off a bit heavy handed and preachy. 

In much the same way The Venture Bros and Futurama can go over the top at times. At least it doesn't look like it was drawn by kids at the local daycare facility, like 12 oz mouse.  I probably would like Tom Goes To The Mayor if they put as much effort into how it looks as say, The Boondocks, or at least Family Guy...
Fixed.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 05:51:05 PM by Thom_Serveaux »

Offline pyro

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 07:44:17 PM »
also, who hates Boondocks?  The show is ok.

I guess it doesn't seem like anyone on here, but I always see people saying how horrible it is on myspleen... but they tend to mostly favor the ADD shows.

Also for what it's worth I don't entirely agree with the politics of it either, but I still think it's one of the greatest shows on TV.  The xbox killer episode was pure genius regardless of opinions on the topic

Offline Thom_Serveaux

• *Platypus Sound*
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2007, 07:57:04 PM »
I was just trying to clarify an earlier misunderstanding that sometimes it (Boondocks) can come of as a bit preachy.  and that Venture bros and Futrama are anything but...

Offline Andrew1911

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2007, 12:25:26 AM »
I was just trying to clarify an earlier misunderstanding that sometimes it (Boondocks) can come of as a bit preachy.  and that Venture bros and Futrama are anything but...

Futurama wasn't made by Williams Street... Venture Bros.? Over the top? When?

Offline daltysmilth

• Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2007, 01:12:20 AM »
I haven't really watched adult swim since moving back home and therefore no longer having cable.  But I will say I never liked the Venture Brothers and I probably never will.  Most of the humor just misses the mark with me.  And it seems like they favor the easy, obvious jokes rather than more subtle, intellectual humor.

The best adult swim shows, in my opinion, were the original lineup of Space Ghost, the Brak Show (first season only), ATHF, Sealab 2021 (before the guy that played the Captain died), and the first few episodes of Harvey Birdman.
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline Thom_Serveaux

• *Platypus Sound*
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2007, 05:43:52 PM »
Futurama wasn't made by Williams Street...
Didn't say that it was...

Offline pyro

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2007, 06:19:47 PM »
And it seems like they favor the easy, obvious jokes rather than more subtle, intellectual humor.

Define easy and obvious though, I'm not sure how many people actually got the joke "Look!  I'm a member of the Residents!"

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2669
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2007, 07:10:15 PM »
I didn't get it. :^)

The reason I watch Adult Swim now is the same reason I watched the original lineup: I loves me some weird. :^) Adult Swim still knows how to bring some strangeness to the table, and there's no other network out there that has anything remotely like anything they bring to the table (Unless they got it from another table. :^)).

I know what you mean about the old lineup, though. The Brak Show was and still is my personal fav AS show, but it wasn't "Edgy" enough for the masses to want to watch, so it had to get pulled. Sealab died with Hank Goz, voice of Captain Murphy, Birdman just went down for the reasons I gave in the Birdman thread, and Space Ghost is on perpetual Hiatus (There's always one or two episodes brewing... Not that that's anything new for Space Ghost. :^)) At least Aqua Teen Hunger Force is alive and well, and there've been a few awesome shows that have stepped up to the plate then. Squidbillies feels kinda like an Aqua Teens in the south once you get in to it, Frisky Dingo captures the very soul that Sealab gave up and gives it structure, and I don't expect anyone here to understand why I like 12 Oz. Mouse. It's like Twin Peaks and Lost had a cartoon baby that turned out really, REALLY weird. (There IS a plot in there somewhere, and we'll figure it out some day!) And The Venture Brothers rivals anything on the original lineup. I'm still on friendly terms with Adult Swim programming and I'm eagerly anticipating Saul of the Mole Men, and cautiously anticipating Tim and Eric's Awesome Show: Great Job.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2007, 08:40:33 PM »
And it seems like they favor the easy, obvious jokes rather than more subtle, intellectual humor.

Define easy and obvious though, I'm not sure how many people actually got the joke "Look!  I'm a member of the Residents!"

Exactly. A show with references to Lydia Lunch and Klaus Nomi can hardly be accused of being "obvious."
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Andrew1911

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2007, 09:43:43 PM »
Futurama wasn't made by Williams Street...
Didn't say that it was...

You complained about it being over the top at times yet since it isn't made by anyone at Williams Street nor can they attempt to fix the problem since the series has been cancelled at Fox, it's not a valid complaint.

Offline Andrew1911

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2007, 09:45:51 PM »

Or people getting the Major Tom dialouge being part of the lyrics from Space Oddity than topping that one off with Ashes to Ashes, a reference to a song about Major Tom again from the Bowster.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2007, 10:02:17 PM »

Or people getting the Major Tom dialouge being part of the lyrics from Space Oddity than topping that one off with Ashes to Ashes, a reference to a song about Major Tom again from the Bowster.

Don't forget the second-season finale, with its villains' showdown pitting David Bowie against Klaus Nomi and Iggy Pop (and they've ALL got super-powers!).
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline pyro

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2007, 01:49:18 PM »
I didn't get it. :^)

Well, if you still need any help, take a look to my left   ;D

Fun fact since I've got nothing better to do than take this even more off topic:  The Residents did the music for the sleepover episode of PeeWee Herman (I flipped when I read their names in the credits)....  if you watched for the music credit it was usually someone really cool like them or Dweezil Zappa & Steve Vai, or Danny Eflman or something...