Author Topic: Just what the hell is Turner thinking!  (Read 4394 times)

Offline Thom_Serveaux

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1
  • *Platypus Sound*
Just what the hell is Turner thinking!
« on: February 07, 2007, 10:45:53 AM »
I mean if 12oz Mouse, Squidbilies, and Tom Goes To The Mayor wasn't enough, now we have that Krofft wannabe reject, Saul of the Mole Men.  Now I see the idiots that made Tom Gos To The Mayor coming out with 'The Tim and Eric Awesome Show'  Hey Ted, here's a hint, if the producers have to actually put the word 'Awesome' in the title of the show, it probably isn't...

Offline J-Proof

• J-Proof
  • The FBI Pays Me to Surf
Re: Just what the hell is Turner thinking!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 10:48:36 AM »
I like Tom goes to the Mayor =)
J to the Pizzo
P to the Jizzay...

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 10:55:21 AM »

I second that. It's one of the funniest shows I've ever seen.

Most of Adult Swim seems to be bordering on a concept art style. If you don't like concept art, then you probably won't like anything on the lineup.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 11:03:27 AM »
I like Squidbillies, and not just because a good friend works on it.  :)
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline pyro

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 11:05:50 AM »
Tom Goes To Mayor is another show I like on there that most people seem to hate...  along with Boondocks and Stroker & Hoop and to an extent Moral Orel...

to me Tim & Eric and Saul just seem to be lame attempts at incorporating live action shows.... 

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2669
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 11:19:09 AM »
I forgive Tom Goes to the Mayor because it's still not REAL Live action, at least not all the time, and Saul has puppets and stop-motion animation incorporated throughout, so I'll let that slide too. There's just too much intentional camp for me to pass Saul up. I'm tentatively looking forward to it.
I think their oddest move so far has been showing Saved by the Bell. :^)

Offline Tarantulas

• Liked: 3
  • #97 Rifftrax Fan in the World!
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 12:01:20 PM »
Adult Swim has changed a lot in the last few years... gone are the salad days of Coast to Coast and Brak Show.

The new shows seem to just focus on being as strange/ludicrous as possible.  I don't understand the move to having 2 live action shows on the Cartoon Network, but I guess we have no choice but to give them a chance..

also, who hates Boondocks?  The show is ok.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 01:23:02 PM »
Hell, I wanna know what Turner's thinking paying the idiot city government of Boston ONE RED CENT for a problem the city caused itself.

Seriously, if I had the money, I would offer to pay in their stead... in exchange for Turner COMPLETELY retracting their apology and telling the mayor of Boston and the governor of Massachusetts that they are FUCKING MORONS and it was ALL THEIR OWN FAULT.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 01:31:07 PM »
Hell, I wanna know what Turner's thinking paying the idiot city government of Boston ONE RED CENT for a problem the city caused itself.

Seriously, if I had the money, I would offer to pay in their stead... in exchange for Turner COMPLETELY retracting their apology and telling the mayor of Boston and the governor of Massachusetts that they are FUCKING MORONS and it was ALL THEIR OWN FAULT.

I agree. But I think it boils down to the politicians doing what politicians do best: Blaming other people for their own stupidity in an attempt to distract the public from said stupidity so they get votes next term.

I mean, who would vote for officials that are scared of their own shadows? Turner is their public sacrifice for their own reputations. Turner is probably doing this to 1) salvage its own public reputation and 2) preserve its broadcasting/production license. Nothing scares a network more than losing it, even one as enormous as Turner.

Offline J-Proof

• J-Proof
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 01:44:29 PM »
Adult Swim has changed a lot in the last few years... gone are the salad days of Coast to Coast and Brak Show.

The new shows seem to just focus on being as strange/ludicrous as possible.  I don't understand the move to having 2 live action shows on the Cartoon Network, but I guess we have no choice but to give them a chance..

also, who hates Boondocks?  The show is ok.

It's the same old allegory that MTV started. It's no longer about the music....
J to the Pizzo
P to the Jizzay...

Offline Thom_Serveaux

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • *Platypus Sound*
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 02:21:30 PM »
It just seems that for the most part, things are done as cheaply as possible.  Now there are some exceptions, of course.  Boondocks being the prime example, the production values, especially the art and animation are absolutely gorgeous!  My only gripe is that sometimes it seems to come of a bit heavy handed and preachy.  The same goes for Venture Bros and  Futurama they can go over the top at times.  At least it doesn't look like it was drawn by kids at the local daycare facility, like 12 oz mouse.  I probably would like Tom Goes To The Mayor if they put as much effort into how it looks as say, The Boondocks, or at least Family Guy...

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2669
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 02:36:59 PM »
When has Venture Bros. ever been preachy/heavy-handed?

Offline Tarantulas

• Liked: 3
  • #97 Rifftrax Fan in the World!
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 02:51:49 PM »
When has Venture Bros. ever been preachy/heavy-handed?

It's all a matter of perspective.  Boondocks is preachy.. but so is the comic strip that spawned it.

The MLK episode is one that comes immediately to mind.

Do I agree with all of Aaron McGruder's political commentary?  No.

Do I enjoy his take on black culture and the white culture that emulates it?  Yes!

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 02:53:18 PM »

I still don't get how Venture Bros could be preachy. I don't believe that show has ever tackled any "issues". I think it's just all about fun and adventure.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 03:18:11 PM »

I still don't get how Venture Bros could be preachy. I don't believe that show has ever tackled any "issues". I think it's just all about fun and adventure.

...and beating up Klaus Nomi. Whatever you do, don't forget beating up Klaus Nomi.

- Conan O'Brien