login

Author Topic: South Park  (Read 60545 times)

spaceforarent

Re: South Park
« Reply #585 on: November 17, 2011, 07:28:23 AM »
Loved that they brought back Mysterion. Hope he makes the occasional appearance in the future.

shodan

« Reply #586 on: November 17, 2011, 12:12:49 PM »
holy crap, im an agnostic.... and i love Dr.Pepper.... IM A STEREOTYPE.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 988
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #587 on: November 17, 2011, 01:22:57 PM »
So greeley is real? I take it is is a slum city..

As Dash noted, it's very agricultural based. UNC is a major Ag studies school, for example. The ever present cows in every shot of Greeley just struck my funny bone right.

Side note- a few years back, I was driving back home after being in Utah for a few days, and my trip took me through Greeley at about 2 in the morning. Despite having about 80,000 people at the time and it being a weekend, I didn't see another car on the road during my entire drive through town. It  really did feel like the entire town had been rolled up and put away.

UNC does (or did) have a great MST3k fan club though. IIRC, they put on a play of Manos at one point.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5707
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #588 on: November 17, 2011, 01:45:21 PM »

UNC does (or did) have a great MST3k fan club though. IIRC, they put on a play of Manos at one point.
:o Woh, cool! With riffing or without?

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #589 on: November 17, 2011, 02:45:04 PM »

:o Woh, cool! With riffing or without?

Hang on. My memory of this was a bit off, I think.

I remember going to UNC to see "Manos" in a theater full of people years after MST3k went off the air. (Which was followed by a showing of Plan 9, with audience riffing. I didn't stay too long for that.) But I think the play I recall wasn't actually  of Manos. It was just a bad play, but it was accompanied with an MST3k style riffing.

Let me ask Sampo. He might remember what the deal was.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #590 on: September 14, 2016, 07:59:07 PM »
Seriously, five years? Huh.

Anyway, with the 20th anniversary of South Park came a bit of news from Isaac Hayes III who is telling folks that his father didn't willingly leave South Park.

Hayes III-Isaac Hayes did not quit South Park; someone quit South Park for him. What happened was that in January 2006 my dad had a stroke and lost the ability to speak. He really didn't have that much comprehension, and he had to relearn to play the piano and a lot of different things. He was in no position to resign under his own knowledge. At the time, everybody around my father was involved in Scientology — his assistants, the core group of people. So someone quit South Park on Isaac Hayes' behalf. We don't know who.

That's been suspected for a while, but there's confirmation of that.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #591 on: September 14, 2016, 09:25:55 PM »
Oh wow I wasnt aware of this :o

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5707
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #592 on: September 15, 2016, 05:23:12 AM »
I'm not surprised by that at all. But I also think that if he was having so many problems that he probably wasn't in any condition to be doing voice work either.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #593 on: November 09, 2016, 05:03:50 PM »
From EW:

South Park’s election-themed episode, originally titled “The Very First Gentleman,” has been renamed “Oh, Jeez” following Donald Trump’s victory.

(Snip)

The previously released tease for “The Very First Gentleman” depicted PC Principal holding a rally at South Park Elementary after a Hillary Clinton victory; the principal was set to welcome Bill Clinton to speak to the grade-schoolers.

This isn't the first time  that South Park's had to do this. Back in 2008, they aired an episode that was hastily re-edited to include bits of Obama's acceptance speech. And then there's the whole "First Family" Fiasco from 2000...

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3176
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #594 on: November 09, 2016, 06:12:10 PM »
Bet they didn't expect to have to make Mr. Garrison president, though. I know they didn't a year ago when they surrogated him for Trump. And they have a whole story arc going on this season. Can't wait to see how this changes things.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #595 on: November 09, 2016, 07:54:58 PM »
...you know, in a season about trolling, I really should have seen that one coming.

At this point South Park has so many balls in the air, plot wise, that it's going to be really interesting to see if they can resolve them all.

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 91
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #596 on: November 10, 2016, 02:02:53 AM »
I thought this episode was only okay. Nothing like eight years ago, that was one for the ages.

I think I'm starting to quickly fall out of love with this long form thing they're doing. It falls into the same trap of having to endure all these "setting the pieces" episodes that all these heavily serialized shows have.

Dramas can spend those pipe-laying episodes ratcheting up, well, the drama. I guess for it to work for comedies, you'd have to be constantly increasing the laughs each episode, and I'm just not seeing that happen.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 200
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #597 on: November 10, 2016, 07:06:08 AM »
I think I'm starting to quickly fall out of love with this long form thing they're doing. It falls into the same trap of having to endure all these "setting the pieces" episodes that all these heavily serialized shows have.

I tend to agree.  I know they're trying to do something different to mix things up and freshen the show from what I guess they felt was a rut, but really, not much of South Park was broken to begin with.  They can still be funny, but some of the jokes drag a bit when they have to be kept up for the entirety of the season.  I think they handled this best in the "Lorde" season, when the whole Lorde bit was a B story that went through the season, but left the rest of it to be its own thing.  But now that the A story is a continuing thing with twists and turns and ups and downs, it doesn't seem as tightly told as it used to be.  All the parts are right, but the puzzle isn't put together properly.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 91
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #598 on: November 10, 2016, 12:19:49 PM »
Yeah, the Lorde thing was great, and each story was self-contained, but something from the previous episode was usually revealed to be what set the next one in motion. That was clever.

And they're not really treading into edgy satire this year. Oh, you don't like Donald Trump and think The Force Awakens was derivative? Way to be timely, guys. That one-week production schedule is being put to good use here, isn't it?

The member berries are cute, though. I'll give them that. Those are gonna be the source of a lot of memes for years to come.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 12:25:41 PM by NRRork »
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3176
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #599 on: November 10, 2016, 12:53:34 PM »
Well the other disadvantage is we don't have the complete satirical picture yet, on which to judge the satire. I sense they're working up to something bigger than Trump and Star Wars...