login

Author Topic: South Park  (Read 58551 times)

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
  • Liked: 3
    • GoodTimers Hockey
South Park
« on: February 06, 2007, 10:17:33 AM »
So I've never seen this show before, is it dirty or potty mouthed? (just kidding).

Lets hear your comments on this great cartoon...

As we've talked about in the Simpsons thread, that show is on the decline. Whereas, I would say South Park is 'peaking' right about now...

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
Re: South Park
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 10:21:08 AM »
I despise south park.  Absolutely loathe it. 

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
    • GoodTimers Hockey
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 10:21:57 AM »
I despise south park.  Absolutely loathe it. 

Thank you, please drive through

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 10:55:38 AM »
I love how immediately they can respond to stories in the news.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 11:11:40 AM »
I sincerely believe that Matt and Trey are the modern heirs of the legacy of Voltaire and Jonathan Swift.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline dignan

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • If Val's happy, I'm happy!
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 11:14:44 AM »
I love South Park.  I kind of grew tired of it during season 2, and stopped watching for a while, and came back around the fifth season, and from that point on, I've been hooked.  Actually, when I saw the movie, I was hooked.  But I didn't really get back into the show until the fifth season.  I have all the seasons on DVD now, and it's just great.  I would say that it peaked with "Woodland Critter Christmas" though.  It's not on the decline for me so much as just kind of plateaued.  You just can't top mountain lion cubs performing an abortion on Kyle, in my opinion.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2987
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 11:25:32 AM »
I sincerely believe that Matt and Trey are the modern heirs of the legacy of Voltaire and Jonathan Swift.
Very true. They are satirists in the purest sense. :^)

I've noticed that there are two sides to South Park. There are episodes that seem to focus on being weird (Crab People are responsible for Queer Eye for the Straight Guy!), and those that focus on being topical (The famous Scientology episode). There's always a little of both in every episode, but usually one is favored over the other. I think I prefer it when they're just being weird. I think my favorite episode was the one with Cartman's hand-puppet of Jennifer Lopez. :^)

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
    • GoodTimers Hockey
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 11:30:15 AM »
I love how immediately they can respond to stories in the news.

This is true and I like it. I just wonder if the eps will age well as these stories become not as well known?

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 14
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 11:31:37 AM »
I like South Park too.  If you get around all the language and dirty Chef Songs, it's a really well written show. . . wait, that'd leave 2 lines!  I actually love Chef and I haven't watched since he left.

Seriously though, if you can past all of that and give it a chance, I think it's a pretty good show.  I think you have to be in the mood for it though.  What gets me is the millions of moronic kids who watch it and don't get how political it is.

Besides, I love the movie soundtrack!  I have quite a collection of Chef Songs too.  "A prostitute is a woman who loves you no matter who you are."  :D
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

Offline Trufire

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 11:32:40 AM »
"This could be the end of the world.....of warcraft." this was defenitly one of my favorite episodes. Mind you I rarly watch it cause I often find it incredibly dumb at times. But like any show, it has its moments and it's those moments you watch a show.
"I like me..." Caboose; Red vs Blue

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 11:45:04 AM »

In this day and age of public apologies despite the first amendment and what not, I appreciate a show that 1) absolutely will not apologize and 2) attacks even more viciously if asked to apologize.

I love South Park's take on celebrities the most.  :D

Johnny_Short_Torso

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 11:45:40 AM »
I really love the show, especially when it truly has something insightful yet incredibly silly to say about politics or religion.
Also, I love how they poked fun at John Edwards(The biggest douche in the universe), Jar Jar(Jakovasauraus), Spielberg and Lucases habit of re-releasing and ruining their classic films(Free Hat), Michael Jackson(The Jeffersons), Satan-Worshipping Animals(Woodland Critter Christmas), Old people driving(Grey Dawn) Mormons(All about the Mormons), Scientology(Trapped in the closet), Mel Gibson(Passion of the Jew) and poking fun at presidential elections(Douche and Turd). There are times when the show really is just too gross and horrid, like in the episode Proper Condom Use or The simpsons already did it. Yeah, sometimes the show can be pretty nasty with the subject matter. That aside however it's a very funny show because the main characters have such great chemistry and they get such crazy ideas or they get too intensely serious about something that it becomes silly... like World of Warcraft. Also the characters purposely go over the top and overreact and don't think nothing of it... they just play it straight ALL the time, which is hilarious to me. The kids act like kids a lot of the time... but characters like Stan and Kyle can be very witty, smart and intelligent, which is great. It is very refreshing to see a show where the main characters are usually pretty smart, even for kids. The best part though is that the ending of every episode is almost always unpredictable unless you've seen it before.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 11:54:13 AM by Johnny_Short_Torso »

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2987
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 11:47:48 AM »
I really love the show, especially when it truly has something insightful yet incredibly silly to say about politics or religion.
Also, I love how they poked fun at *SNIP* Satan-Worshipping Animals(Woodland Critter Christmas)*SNIP*

I agree. Satan-Worshipping animals have had it coming for a long time now! :^) (LOVE that episode!)

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
    • GoodTimers Hockey
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 11:51:08 AM »
Besides, I love the movie soundtrack!  I have quite a collection of Chef Songs too.  "A prostitute is a woman who loves you no matter who you are."  :D

"Uncle Fucker" is the funniest song IMHO. I have yet to laugh that hard at any of their other songs. Not to say the others aren't good. I just find UF the funniest.

Johnny_Short_Torso

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2007, 11:51:44 AM »
Quote from: Pak-man
I agree. Satan-Worshipping animals have had it coming for a long time now! :^) (LOVE that episode!)
It is a great episode isn't it? And when they all get gruesomely killed by Santa Claus... LOL... we don't feel the LEAST bit bad because... well... they're satan-worshipping critters!!!  ;D