Author Topic: Good anime  (Read 42724 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
Re: Good anime
« Reply #165 on: September 01, 2014, 07:16:12 PM »

I'm sure Imrahil probly loves anime and will slap me around....

Boy do you not know that guy.

That said, if you feel a genre is incapable of being good, that's a really limiting worldview.

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 116
  • Hello!
« Reply #166 on: September 01, 2014, 07:41:14 PM »
My problem is, the Japanese to English translations and the Eastern story structure, or lack thereof. In the Western World there is Act I, Act II, ACT III, Thesis, Anti-thesis, and Syn-thesis.

In the Eastern world story telling is like a dream, sometimes with no beginning middle or end. There may be an underlying theme, but all other story structure is abandoned.

Lastly, the Japanese language is beautiful and poetic, the English translations are harsh and crude.

"Akira" was some of the best cell animation I have ever seen. Couldn't make heads nor tail of the story, though.

That's not entirely true, if you watch it with sound off... without the crude English dubbing.... you can make sense of the story.

Anyways...
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4514
« Reply #167 on: September 01, 2014, 07:58:48 PM »
Though with Akira, I'm not sure how you can fit an entire series timeline (unfinished at the time) into a feature length film without a few hiccups.  The original dub (though it does have issues with people talking where there shouldn't be dialogue) is better than the 2001 dub.  Not looking forward to the movie if it's ever finished.

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 116
  • Hello!
« Reply #168 on: September 01, 2014, 08:10:45 PM »
See? I didn't even know it wasn't finished... I, obviously, lack the sophistication to appreciate the art.
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4514
« Reply #169 on: September 01, 2014, 08:22:13 PM »
The manga at least.  As far as I know it never had a show.  Probably could have benefitted more from that format.  Went to a seminar about it at a Con.

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 140
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #170 on: September 02, 2014, 03:21:57 PM »
I don't believe there is any good anime. But that is just my very small opinion.... I mean nothing...

I'm sure Imrahil probly loves anime and will slap me around.... I know Sideswipe likes anime, if you like Transformers, you probly like anime.

Look how they have beaten me down... Don't you feel sorry for me?
I'll bet if you tried enough of them, you'd find a few you like. Lets say you were in trapped on an island with 100 anime shows and 50 anime films, my professional opinion is you'd like at least twelve of the things you watched.  ;D Do you like foreign (non-English) films? Subtitled anime to me isn't different than watching a foreign film, the translation is usually good enough for me anyway.

And for anime movies, plenty are straightforward in structure. I love say Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, a cool gothic action movie. Or Miyazaki flicks, I especially dig Castle of Cagliostro.

For series, have you tried Cowboy Bebop? Episodic and very creative, with a bit of a connecting plot behind it. You might dig say Berserk, about a band of mercenaries waging war with mighty steel, plus demons are around, pretty metal. Or say Hajime no Ippo, it's about a plucky boxer who punches people, with comedy hijnks on the side. Not all anime is surreal or dreamlike and whatnot, though I dig that too.

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 623
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #171 on: September 07, 2014, 05:50:19 PM »
bleach last night was crazy and outright insane.
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #172 on: September 07, 2014, 06:11:32 PM »
I'm not the only person in the world who loves Hell Girl, am I?
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #173 on: September 07, 2014, 07:44:06 PM »
I haven't seen it, but I heard of it and it sounded good.  I think I also might have read some of the manga, but it would have been a while ago.

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 527
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
« Reply #174 on: September 07, 2014, 08:23:51 PM »
Of course not!  Hell Girl was very enjoyable.  One of my favorite episodes was when she met Hell Boy.
"I consign your soul to hell"   Don't you mean, "again? : )
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #175 on: September 07, 2014, 08:28:46 PM »
Anyone here ever watched  "When They Cry" ?
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #176 on: September 08, 2014, 09:59:09 AM »
Just the first series, none of the spin-offs.  Pretty good, for the most part.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #177 on: September 08, 2014, 01:12:30 PM »
Of course not!  Hell Girl was very enjoyable.  One of my favorite episodes was when she met Hell Boy.

Have you seen seasons 2 and 3? They aren't the easiest to come by in the states, but they're incredible.

It's also one of the most drenched in ancient Japanese cultural elements of all the anime I've seen.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #178 on: September 08, 2014, 01:47:05 PM »

Have you seen seasons 2 and 3? They aren't the easiest to come by in the states, but they're incredible.

It's also one of the most drenched in ancient Japanese cultural elements of all the anime I've seen.

LOL!  At first, I thought you were talking about seasons 2 and 3 of "When they Cry." When you mentioned "drenched in Culture," I thoght you meant "Drenched in Blood," because When They Cry is tremendously violent and bloody.

No, i haven't seen season 2 of Hell Girl.  MY buddy has it,  I didn't know there was a season 3.  I'll either buy or borrow season 2, and then see about season 3. 
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline iv3rdawG

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 104
  • Mr. K. Dilkington
    • Controlled Obsession
« Reply #179 on: September 15, 2014, 05:35:46 PM »
So I only really started watching anime recently. Currently I'm watching:

Ao Haru Ride
Kill La Kill
Sabagebu! - Survival Game Club
Terror in Resonance

Sabagebu! is probably my favorite out of them all. I really love it. It's extremely funny, and has a very catchy ending theme (seen in my avatar):

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Su7a-uEm_Qw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Su7a-uEm_Qw</a>
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 05:38:47 PM by iv3rdawG »
Controlled Obsession (My website - Movie, TV, Video Games)