Author Topic: Good anime  (Read 40331 times)

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
Re: Good anime
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2013, 05:17:45 PM »
RIN was pretty nuts. Good, though. Elfen Lied is usually well received, but I wasn't really impressed. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is great, but no longer on Netflix. The original series is good, but the story is better in the newer version (closer to the manga, IIRC).

I saw Elfen Lied. It was alright, but nothing special IMO. I also just watched Chobits the other day which was fun.

I saw one that I don't remember the name... it had to do with some kids who went to school together (in an anime?! woah) who could project their spirits out of their bodies as they slept or something. I remember a temple (of course) and some big ravine that would flood every so often with an abandoned hospital that they let their spirits explore.  .....if that rings any bells for anyone, let me know what it's called, because I can't recall it in the slightest. It was kinda weird.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4983
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2013, 05:40:20 PM »
Ghost Hound?

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4552
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2013, 06:26:03 PM »
I've tried to keep track of what I've seen and what I graded it (rated 1-5).  Since a number from my 'four star' and 'five star' have been mentioned in the last few posts I figured I'd chime in with possible suggestions.  [For a few it was surprising that they made it as high as they did because of the 'helpless female'/'fan service'/'inability of male to deal with biology' aspects (e.g. Chobits for the 'helpless female' and 'male inability' bits).  The story had to be pretty damn good to get past that.]

~5*  -  Excellent:
Cowboy BeBop  [both series and film]  -  bought on DVD, film on blu (waiting for series on blu)
El Cazador de la Bruja
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex,   and GitS: SAC: 2nd Gig  -  bought on DVD, when blus are reasonable, I'll buy those
Moribito  -  Liked enough to buy on blu-ray; first time I saw it it took a while to get into it [it was 'iffy' for the first 7-8 episodes, actually]
My Neighbor Totoro
Xam'd Lost Memories

~4*  -  Quite good, but not Great:
Air
Baldr Force EXE Resolution
Birdy the Mighty Decode (series 1, 2)
Chobits
Chrono Crusade
Claymore [ALMOST makes it into the 'Excellent' category]
Corpse Princess
Darker Than Black [1] [ALMOST makes it into the 'Excellent' category]
Darker Than Black II
Ergo Proxy
Fullmetal Alchemist  [liked both, but Brotherhood better]
Kino's Journey
Read or Die  ['film', not series]
The Sacred Blacksmith
Witchblade  [rather excessive in the fan service, but story's good enough to overcome that]
Wolf's Rain
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 12:01:08 PM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2013, 07:36:09 PM »
I found Xam'd to be incredibly boring most the time. 

Some of my favorite anime...

Haibane Renmei (Drama, Mystery)
Kino's Journey (Mystery, Adventure)
Lain (Techno-thriller)
Revolutionary Girl Utena (Magical Girl, Drama, Romance)
Princess Tutu (Fantasy, Magical Girl)
No Seriously, Princess Tutu is awesome
Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Magical Girl, Drama)
Tenga Toppa Gurren Lagann (Action, Super Action, Super-Duper Action)
Scrapped Princess (Fantasy, Sci-fi)
Nodame Cantabile (Music, romance)
Toradora (Comedy, Romance)

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2013, 07:40:46 PM »
If you like Haibane Ranmei, read the book Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World, which inspired it.  Half of it is like the above mentioned series and the otherhalf is a neo-noir sci-fi with monsters.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2013, 06:19:24 PM »
Studio Trigger has begun a kickstarter to make more "Little Witch Academia". 

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1311401276/little-witch-academia-2

Some good reward tiers there.  $50 gets you a blu-ray when it's finished, and an art book.

For those who don't know, "Little Witch Academia" was a one episode OVA made by this studio, which has a lot of former Gainax staff.  It was made in cooperation with a grant from the Japanese Government for young animators and has received very positive feedback. 

And you can watch the whole thing on youtube legally!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/RBlqxEIJ_Cg" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/RBlqxEIJ_Cg</a>

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4312
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2013, 06:35:58 PM »

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2013, 07:37:51 PM »
New Shinichiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop) show in works for next year called "Space Dandy".  Meant to be a comedy space adventure featuring Dandy, the dandiest man in space!  He partners with a Roomba and a talking cat alien to find other aliens.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-08-10/shinichiro-watanabe-reveals-space-dandy-comedy-tv-anime

« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 10:55:13 PM by Rainbow Dash »

Offline pumpkinpearl

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 24
  • Have fun storming the castle!
    • Zee Tvitter
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2013, 11:56:27 AM »
I'm an anime noob. I've seen "some", but am far from a connoisseur. Basically, for me, Unico is where it's at.
Murder Most Moist

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2013, 03:06:47 AM »
Ooo, I'll need to check out Space Dandy when it comes out.

I haven't been a real anime viewer for a long time, with the exception of my guilty pleasure Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (the 2012 TV series, not the OAV).  But I always recommend Monster.  It's a pretty impressive character-based thriller.  I also recommend the fun and exciting sports manga Hajime no Ippo (called Fighting Spirit in the US).  The newest series has just been announced for the latter.

Offline Zeether

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2013, 03:27:14 PM »
Sentai and Funimation just rescued a metric crapload of old Bandai licenses at Otakon and I am very much considering getting Big O, King Gainer, Zegapain and Tales of the Abyss out of them all.

Now all we need is for Gundam to see a rescue. Although what I really want is a Blu-ray or better DVD release of G Gundam, which has not happened yet in Japan but one other Toonami staple Gundam series, Wing, has gotten one along with 08th MS Team (which I saw a few episodes of once and enjoyed)
"Don't make me shoot you...CROOOOOOOOOW!"

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2013, 10:29:16 PM »
The first Space Dandy teaser!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/o480GrsQGmo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/o480GrsQGmo</a>

This... looks... fun!  I love that while we get glimpses of some T&A, there some of unconventional beauty (seeing the main characters sharing some pillow talk with space monsters, scaly double pairs of breast in bikinis).  Looks like someone's been taking lessons from Captain Jack.

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 618
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2013, 02:30:58 PM »

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 618
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2013, 07:30:44 PM »
Chiaki Omigawa, voice actress of Soul Eater's Maka, confirmed on her “Yurutto Fuwatto” (Lax & Fluffy) radio program on Thursday that an anime adaptation of Atsushi Ohkubo's Soul Eater Not! manga has been green-lit. The voice actress did not reveal anything else about the anime, although she added, "I think lots of people have already heard about this..."

The Internet domain name souleaternot.tv was registered under Kadokawa Corporation's name on October 18. The December issue of Square Enix's Monthly Shonen Gangan magazine revealed on Tuesday that an “important announcement” for Atsushi Ohkubo's Soul Eater Not! spinoff manga will be published in the magazine's January issue on December 12.

The Soul Eater Not! manga returned from hiatus last month after the main Soul Eater manga ended in the magazine in August. It launched in 2011, and Yen Press is publishing both the Soul Eater and Soul Eater Not!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-11-14/maka-voice-actress-omigawa-confirms-soul-eater-not-anime-adaptation

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2013, 08:53:22 PM »