login

Author Topic: Good anime  (Read 31276 times)

Offline Russoguru

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 67
Re: Good anime
« Reply #240 on: September 06, 2017, 07:34:13 PM »
I don't think ping pong has ever been represented in such a bad-ass manner.

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #241 on: September 10, 2017, 12:05:08 PM »
Decided to catch up on some anime this weekend and ended up binge watching the first three episodes of One-Punch Man. I wasn't impressed by the 2015 FCBD issue of the manga but the anime is pretty enjoyable. It's basically a parody of the superhero and Seinen genres. I think the use of the humor works well and there's tons of over-the-top action scenes.

Also recently I started watching the second season of Attack on Titan last weekend. It pretty much starts out with all hell breaking loose and introduces a new type of Titan.

I've also been enjoying Lupin the Third Part IV which is pretty much the same as the earlier series I remember watching on Adult Swim back-in-the-day, which I think was part II.

Adult Swim also started reairing episodes of Outlaw Star which I only vaguely remember. I'm not a huge fan of the art style but it seems interesting enough. Anyone familiar with this series?
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline Russoguru

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 67
« Reply #242 on: September 10, 2017, 03:58:49 PM »
Apparently Fathom events is going to be showing Spirited Away for a limited time in movie theaters. I've never seen it but I've heard so many good things.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2170
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #243 on: September 10, 2017, 04:05:23 PM »
They've been doing a whole Studio Ghibli thing all summer. I haven't made it to any of them, and they're all on my must-watch-someday list, but I hear they're all fantastic. Maybe I'll try to make it to the last two.

https://www.fathomevents.com/series/studio-ghibli-fest

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2298
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #244 on: September 11, 2017, 11:25:02 AM »
Been many years since I've seen Outlaw Star, but I still have those DVD sets sitting somewhere. I remember it being pretty fascinating throughout. I always imagined that Joss Whedon got his Firefly inspiration from a combo of it and Cowboy Bebob, but Outlaw Star has a lot more of a Star Warsy mysticism to it.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked: 3815
  • Now you're playing with power!
« Reply #245 on: November 12, 2017, 05:30:55 PM »
Me and a friend are slowly going through the new Dragonball series.  The show is strangely more fun when it steps away from world shaking fights and is just a hang-out show for super-powered martial artists.

Also watching Assassination Classroom, a show about junior high students trying to murder their teacher to save the world.  Try getting that idea to fly in the U.S.  Despite what sounds like a dark premise is actually a very upbeat and positive show about the relationships between the students who everyone else forgot and a teacher who cares about them... and is also a big, multi-tentacled monster with a bulbous smiley-face head.  In many ways, even though the premise is nuts, it feels a bit like an old-fashioned anime series.  Unfortunately, that also means it doesn't do the best job with its female characters.  But despite that it's pretty enjoyable and zany.

Apparently, they also made a live action movie, but I don't know how it turned out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMYhMnRxj-0

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #246 on: November 17, 2017, 10:22:59 AM »
I'm about halfway through rewatching Samurai Champloo which is the first time I've seen it in well over a decade. It holds up really well and I forgot how hip-hop influenced it was. Shame it's only a 26 episode run but still that's a nice chunk of binge watching.

I finished watching the season 1 finale of One-Punch Man and the series definitely made my top 10 favorite anime list. I'm not sure where exactly it ranks but I'll have to dig out my old list and revise it. Anyone read the manga? Is it an ongoing that passes up the anime story? I would definitely be interesting is reading ahead. How close to the anime is it?

I finished season 2 of Attack on Titan last week without realizing it. I kind of sucks that there are only 12 episodes but they were all pretty high quality and the story arc this season is pretty chaotic.

I watched the first episode of My Hero Academia and liked it. It does a pretty good job with set up and world building for a pilot and seems like it will have a good bit of rewatchabilty. Looking forward to more of the characters with interesting quirks like the one superhero looked like a super sentai ranger with Groot powers.

I also started watched another anime series on Adult Swim On Demand called Dimension W. The premise, world building and technology are all interesting but I'm not sure I'm really feeling it quite yet.

There's an anime series I watched within the last couple of years and enjoyed but can't remember the name of. The premise is that a sort of would-be mad scientist and his friends develop a method of time travel involving putting a cellphone in a microwave. There's some kind of mysterious organization in the background but I don't remember much else. Does that sounds familiar to anyone?
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline CJones

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 327
« Reply #247 on: November 23, 2017, 11:39:20 AM »
If this hasn't been mentioned already (I'm not combing through 17 pages of posts), you should absolutely watch: Kimi no Na Wa aka Your Name. This a fantastic movie.