Author Topic: Good anime  (Read 42078 times)

soguru

Re: Good anime
« Reply #225 on: August 05, 2015, 09:15:46 PM »
I need to check out Fairy Tale and Death Note, I have heard that both are excellent series.

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 527
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
« Reply #226 on: August 14, 2015, 06:21:18 PM »
Ooh! Ooh!  Live action Attack on Titan, to be in theaters!  :highfive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpP4GDGovp0
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4465
« Reply #227 on: August 28, 2015, 06:38:05 AM »
From Tumblr:
fullmetal alchemist au where ed binds al’s soul to a fursuit
I love this primarily because it would require that Hohenheim collected fursuits in his basement

soguru

« Reply #228 on: September 09, 2015, 08:26:31 PM »
That is fucking awesome. Any chance we could get a kickstarter going for Fullmetal Nights at Freddy's? Would Funimation sell the rights to do that?

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5133
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #229 on: September 09, 2015, 11:53:57 PM »
One Punch Man just started it's series premiere recently.

Looking forward to it.  The manga is really cool.  The premise is basically this: what if a hero as powerful as, say Goku or Superman, had literally no match.  What would happen?  Well... he would get bored.  Comedy and ruminations on the nature of power ensue.  There's also drama, but a lot of it comes from the idea that this all-powerful hero isn't very well respected or understood by the rest of the superhero community.   It started of as a web series then was adapted and redrawn by the artist of Eyeshield 21 (since it had a more mainstream look).

It's been a while since I regularly watched an anime, with the exception of the recent Jojo's relaunch, but I'm definitely on board for this.

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4465
« Reply #230 on: December 28, 2015, 01:57:33 PM »
Why?
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/kn7jpINpqbQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/kn7jpINpqbQ</a>

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 988
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #231 on: December 28, 2015, 02:51:45 PM »
Aw. It's not a parody song of Tal Bachman's "She's So High."

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #232 on: December 28, 2015, 03:13:16 PM »
Seriously, though.  If you haven't seen it, One Punch Man is great.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Bcv-VQeVCLk" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Bcv-VQeVCLk</a>

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4641
« Reply #233 on: December 28, 2015, 08:05:33 PM »
I'm guessing he takes 2-3 punches to take out opponents? :)
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #234 on: December 29, 2015, 07:03:54 AM »
Look, I know you're not going to believe this, but...

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4641
« Reply #235 on: November 14, 2016, 10:32:24 AM »
Some good news:

Hayao Miyazaki Works on Proposed New Anime Feature Film

In the NHK television special Owaranai Hito Miyazaki Hayao (The Man Who Is Not Done: Hayao Miyazaki) on Sunday, acclaimed anime director Hayao Miyazaki reported that he wants to return to making an anime feature film, after retiring from directing feature films three years ago. He has been working on "Kemushi no Boro" (Boro the Caterpillar), a planned CG short for the Ghibli Museum.

However, the special revealed that Miyazaki was not satisfied with the CG project as a short, and he presented a project proposal for a feature-length film this past August. He also noted that if a feature would take him five years to make, he would be 80 years old at the end. In the schedule listed in his proposal, Miyazaki suggested that the film could be done by 2019, before the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo. Ghibli producer Toshio Suzuki commented that Miyazaki will draw storyboards until he dies, and another staffer dryly noted that this would make the movie a huge hit.

Despite not officially receiving a green-light for the feature film, Miyazaki decided to start animation work on the project anyway. He plans on creating storyboards for about 100 cuts of footage.

In spite of his earlier retirement announcements, Miyazaki confirmed that he will continue animating shorts for the Studio Ghibli Museum in Tokyo. The 12-minute "Kemushi no Boro" short will not be completed for about another year and will be screened exclusively at Ghibli Museum. Miyazaki planned the story for almost 20 years and describes the short as "a story of a tiny, hairy caterpillar, so tiny that it may be easily squished between your fingers."

Miyazaki rose to prominence in the 1970s on such television anime series as Lupin III, Future Boy Conan, and Sherlock Hound. He directed his first feature film, Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro, in 1979. He then adapted the beginning of his Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind manga into an anime film in 1984, before he and fellow director Isao Takahata founded Studio Ghibli.

With Ghibli, Miyazaki helmed the feature films Laputa: Castle in the Sky, My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Ponyo, and finally, 2013's The Wind Rises. He also co-produced Takahata's directorial efforts and directed smaller projects such as the "experimental film" On Your Mark and Ghibli Museum Shorts such as Mei and the Kitten Bus and Mr. Dough and the Egg Princess.

Spirited Away remains the highest earning film ever at the Japanese box office, 15 years after it opened in 2001. The film won the Academy Award for Best Animated Film in 2003.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #236 on: May 21, 2017, 06:04:52 AM »
Me and a friend are more than halfway through an anime called Barakamon which, despite the title, isn't the long awaited crossover between Mortal Kombat and Digimon.  It's a fun, sweet comedy about a calligrapher who decides to head to a small coastal town to work on his craft and ends up befriending the various smalltown weirdos there, particularly a precocious little girl.  It's sweet and cute and a nice palate cleanser after watching almost 150 episodes of a fighting/adventure series.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/g-U60_ZSgoI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/g-U60_ZSgoI</a>

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 623
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #237 on: July 03, 2017, 04:41:21 PM »
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 68
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #238 on: July 21, 2017, 12:59:53 PM »
Within the last few months I've watched the first ten episodes of Beast King GoLion which some Americans might recognize as Voltron: Defender of the Universe.

I have to admit I much prefer this subtitled version to the American release. While it's mostly repackaged footage there are some interesting and significant differences. Sadly I was unable to get back into the American version because I found some of the characters to actually be annoying. Specifically Pidge and Hunk whose character depiction suffer compared to their Japanese counterparts. I will concede that the American Voltron had the far better opening sequence which featured the voice of Peter Cullen who also played Optimus Prime in the G1 Transformers series.

I got about 15 minutes into the special Voltron: Fleet of Doom which united the Lion Force Voltron with the Vehicle Force Voltron but felt it was so bad I ended up turning it off. No wonder it was never officially released in Japan. I did however find the final battle scene on youtube where both Voltrons fight Prince Lotor who is piloting a Robeast.  That might be worth checking out for some fans.

Vehicle Force Voltron itself is a repackaged version of the anime Armored Fleet Dairugger XV which I haven't yet watched in its original form but plan to check out. I've heard it compared to the Macross series most of which I haven't seen either. Although I have watched the Macross Plus animated film and thought it was pretty high quality.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #239 on: September 06, 2017, 07:31:02 PM »
If you are in the mood for something really different, me and my friend are watching Ping Pong.  It's a great series about two teens who are both table tennis geniuses.  But when one learns the limits of his abilities, it causes a rift between the friends.  One reveals he is actually a much more talented player who doesn't care about winning and losing until now and the other realizes that if he wants to be one of the greats, he's got to work hard.  Though at first, it looks like its building up to a sports story with a more straightforward antagonist, it quickly switches it up, making it almost an ensemble show where all of the players are characters we can love and feel for... which is going to make it harder when characters start losing in the national competition.  It's got great, strange animation that is trippy, despite the story itself being surprisingly grounded.  I highly recommend it.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2v6iOVhw6mQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2v6iOVhw6mQ</a>