Author Topic: MST3K Vol XXI: All Five Gamera Films!  (Read 17133 times)

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
Re: MST3K Vol XXI: Titles (Hopefully) to be Announced on Turkey Day!
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2010, 02:28:09 PM »
Do the Brains want the KTMA eps released?

Do the Brains as a group have a say?  Or is it all up to Malon now?

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2599
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Re: MST3K Vol XXI: All Five Gamera Films!
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2010, 03:41:24 PM »
Man, that is a surprise!

I am also not a fan of the Gamera movies really, but there's no such thing as an episode of MST3K I don't want to own.
FINE

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2010, 04:59:23 PM »
Wow, never thought I would see this
 :clap: :clap:

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5618
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: MST3K Vol XXI: Titles (Hopefully) to be Announced on Turkey Day!
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2010, 07:37:37 PM »
The only downside (which really isn't a downside) to this announcement is that for the next two releases we are only getting Joel episodes.
Yeah, I thought that too. But getting all these great episodes is so worth it, even for a guy like me who prefers Mike all the way. So I'll buy them gladly. Maybe get some turtle soup to watch them with!

Offline Starman!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2010, 08:26:07 PM »
YAY!!!! I'm also excited for the rerelease of The Incredably Strange Creatures and Beginning of the End (even though I have the last one on DVD).

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2010, 11:46:40 PM »
Is there a specific reason to re-release those specific two??  I don't remember there being TOO much problems with the old Rhino versions, except the typical "not the greatest quality" that was on MOST of the Rhino releases...

Not saying I won't be eating em up, considering the incredible quality from Shout releases... Just wondering why THOSE two specifically.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

spaceforarent

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2010, 11:53:12 PM »
Is there a specific reason to re-release those specific two??  I don't remember there being TOO much problems with the old Rhino versions, except the typical "not the greatest quality" that was on MOST of the Rhino releases...

Not saying I won't be eating em up, considering the incredible quality from Shout releases... Just wondering why THOSE two specifically.
They are out of print, so unless you're willing to shell out $40 for a used copy of BotE and over $200 for volume 9 you're SOL

Offline James of LinHood

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Romans 12:2
    • The Facebookz
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2010, 04:32:40 AM »

They are out of print, so unless you're willing to shell out $40 for a used copy of BotE and over $200 for volume 9 you're SOL

And as far as OOP episodes go, BOTE seemed to come and go the quickest.  I have every Rhino episode expect that one.  I mean, you can rent pretty much all of the single disc Rhino releases from Netflix.  But you're out of luck even trying to rent BOTE from there.

So, yeah, unless you're willing to shell out some major dough (and, at this point even $30.00 is major dough for me), for a single MST3K episode, you're really out of luck.

Also, I'd imagine that Shout! has some pretty cool ideas for bonus features for both of these episodes and that's part of why they picked these two first.

On a related note, here's more info on Shout! Select titles, for those of you who may not know:

With Shout! Factory Select, SHOUT! is presenting passionate fans with collectible, memorable home entertainment. Shout! Factory will be offering monthly releases of TV-DVD and film catalog titles. We'll be selling Shout! Select direct to you from the official online store; these titles won't be sold through traditional distribution channels

So, be sure to pick up your copies of BOTE and Incredibly Strange Creatures directly from Shout! Factory's website.

Lastly, the more I think about it, the more I think that I'll pick up both episodes, even though I already have Incredibly Strange Creatures.  I like to take my discs out of the case and put them into a DVD folder in broadcast order.  And I like the cleaner look of the Shout! Factory DVDs. 
Imrahil: Don't care about Riding with Death.

Bob: Turkey.

Action Batch:  Woah, let's all mellow out and rap about this.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2010, 11:04:14 AM »
 :-\

Those are Joel episodes aren't they?  Volume 21 is going to be four Joel episodes?  :'(

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2010, 11:10:10 AM »
I lost count.  Presuming they can get the rights to every movie they've used, and not counting the KTMA episodes, how many volumes would it take to get the entire series out?

Also, hurry up and get Invasion of the Neptune Men on one of these!

spaceforarent

« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2010, 11:22:11 AM »
I lost count.  Presuming they can get the rights to every movie they've used, and not counting the KTMA episodes, how many volumes would it take to get the entire series out?

Well considering this is a 5 episode set the count can get a little messed up. Who knows what other special sets may be released or how many single episodes they may do.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2010, 11:35:45 AM »

Well considering this is a 5 episode set the count can get a little messed up. Who knows what other special sets may be released or how many single episodes they may do.
Well they haven't done a single episode set since the Rhino days, and that was like 6 years ago at least.  But assuming they stick with a 4-episode standard, how many volumes?

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2010, 11:54:58 AM »
With Shout! Factory Select, SHOUT! is presenting passionate fans with collectible, memorable home entertainment. Shout! Factory will be offering monthly releases of TV-DVD and film catalog titles. We'll be selling Shout! Select direct to you from the official online store; these titles won't be sold through traditional distribution channels

Great.....full Manufacturer's Suggested Retail or wait for a used copy.....

>:(

spaceforarent

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2010, 12:09:15 PM »

Well they haven't done a single episode set since the Rhino days, and that was like 6 years ago at least.  But assuming they stick with a 4-episode standard, how many volumes?
There are 81 yet to be released in any means (82 if you include the VHS only Amazing Colossal Man). So if they do 4 episode sets, that leaves 20 more full sets and 1/2 left over. Considering that they release about 3-4 sets a years, that leaves 5-6 year of releases.
Of course there are other factors, like how long it takes to get the rights to certain episodes. I imagine they all will get released though, once they've released all the easy ones they can focus more resources/efforts to get the harder ones.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2010, 01:01:57 AM »
And they can always go work on re-releasing some of the dirties Rhino releases as singles in the meantime (while they work out rights issues for the harder to acquire episodes)...  In my marathon, I've noticed a VERY obvious difference in video and audio quality between the two companies.  And not all of it can be chalked up to "Oh it was just an early episode" especially considering the clean (and amazing) quality Shout's been getting on some of the season one episodes.

I personally wouldn't mind double-dipping for some of those Rhino releases if Shout gets em as singles.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.