login

Author Topic: One thing that bugs me about this movie is the portrayal of Hades.  (Read 8010 times)

Offline The Manatee

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
Re: One thing that bugs me about this movie is the portrayal of Hades.
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2010, 09:56:51 AM »
those people who see Gay Teletubbies where there are none picketing the theaters....

Oh come on. Nongay teletubbies? The characters may not be intended to be gay but really.

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2010, 08:03:16 PM »
There is varying degrees of canonical, then. Do any of the scholars you know recognize the Disney film Hercules with the same degree of authority/validity/scholarly value as Ovidian or Roman interpretations of myths about Hercules?

I'd further postulate that even a quintessential Hades is "Gloomy and firm, but fair" rather than outright malevolent. The clash of the titans "Hades" is Crimer Wormtongue or Cardboard Obviously Evil Villain, but bears no more recongizable links to the Lord of the Underworld than Alaska Senator Ted Stevens does. I'd also postulate that the "Let's overthrow the gods for no particular reason! Hahah! There is no negative consequence to this!" element is incompatable with any accepted mythic adaptations.
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."

Offline The Manatee

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2010, 02:10:19 PM »
There is varying degrees of canonical, then.

This is kind of the crux of this whole issue.  There isn't really a "canon" of classical myth.  This is a concept that is born in a society that's got authoritarian judeo-christian ethics and orthodoxy running around in the subconscious.  Any 'canon' that might exist of Greek myths was put together by 19th century Germans, not by Greeks.  Every book on the subject will define its own "canon" I suppose, but that just furthers the point I'm trying to make. 

As far as Hades...he's virtually not portrayed at all in any of the classical sources.  The only place he even appears that I can recall is the Homeric Hymn to Demeter, and he certainly doesn't have enough of a role to make any kind of judgments about "personality" (another thorny issue with these myths, because characterization is not really their strong point).  Textually speaking, he's pretty unimportant.  Visually speaking, he looks more or less identical to Zeus and Poseidon except for telltale attributes to let the viewer know which god he's viewing--again, he's pretty unimportant.  Persephone as Queen of the Underworld is actually a far more significant figure than Hades ever appears to be.

I'd say that there is a conflation on some level going on with later conceptions, but when you have nothing really to base Hades on (since, as I said, nothing seems to really be said or known about him--his name literally means "the unseen one"), you're not really contradicting anything.

I don't know how you could really say he's unimportant. He's the one who led the rebellion against the titans. He also kidnapped persephone so how could she be so much more important when it's obvious her main role is to intercede with Hades on the behalf of others? He's not seen as much but he's obviously one of the most powerful olympians, with very rigid laws and not willing to let go of people who fall under his domain.

But to the original point, no hades is not hell, and ruling the underworld is not a punishment. Hades does not let go of those who come to his domain lightly but that's no different than the behavior of the other gods.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4435
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2010, 08:27:32 AM »

I don't know how you could really say he's unimportant.

Because the Greeks didn't think he was. There were no cults to Hades. There were very few representations of him. He hardly appears in the stories at all--and I think you'll find it's primarily Zeus who is credited with overthrowing the titans, not his brother.  He just didn't really appeal to them.

Except for hipster pagans.

"Which God do you worship"

"Oh, he's really obscure, I'm sure you've never worshipped him."

Offline The Manatee

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 09:12:01 PM »
He's just not the kind of guy you'd worship. There's a difference between dramatic ominousness and obscurity, of being worshipped and being important to the mythos. You play chess with death, not hold a tea party. (And don't say he's not death, it's just a parallel)