login

Author Topic: The Dark Knight Rises  (Read 129484 times)

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
Re: The Dark Knight Rises
« Reply #780 on: July 25, 2012, 10:53:08 AM »
Does it have to be either or? Is it too much to ask to have a movie that's neither convoluted nor insulting to my intelligence? I love giant robots beating the shit out of each other but it's not as though I didn't think Michael Bay's Transformers didn't have godawful problems.
I personally want a film that challenges me intellectually. I want it to keep me actively thinking and guessing what's going to happen next, as I believe that's the hallmark of the best cinema.
So you prefer movies that are needlessly complicated?
Heh, I guess I do...

You and I probably go to movies for very different reasons. I like a lot of mindless entertainment. If things get too complicated I bail, which is probably why I stopped paying attention halfway through TDKR.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Russell

« Reply #781 on: July 25, 2012, 10:58:27 AM »
You and I probably go to movies for very different reasons. I like a lot of mindless entertainment. If things get too complicated I bail, which is probably why I stopped paying attention halfway through TDKR.
I don't know if it's because I am so stingy with money these days or if it's because I really won't pay for a ticket unless it's something I am really excited for. Maybe it's a combination of both. I can tell you for sure there's only maybe 2-3 things I am seeing for sure before this year is out.

Offline Space version 2.0

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 719
« Reply #782 on: July 25, 2012, 11:57:26 AM »
I do agree about Tom Hardy's voice, though, and I just looked up his picture and omg he is a total babe.
You see his penis in Bronson.

Offline Riffman for Hire

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 98
  • I'm in the riffing business.
« Reply #783 on: July 25, 2012, 01:12:58 PM »
I do agree about Tom Hardy's voice, though, and I just looked up his picture and omg he is a total babe.

I don't think Charles Bronson would appreciate Tom Hardy's penis in him.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 01:49:24 PM by Riffman for Hire »

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 826
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #784 on: July 25, 2012, 01:29:59 PM »
Just saw it again today. Holds up for me! 
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Jonny Jit

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
    • http://www.myspace.com/jonnyjit
« Reply #785 on: July 25, 2012, 01:32:38 PM »
I don't Charles Bronson would appreciate Tom Hardy's penis in him.

ha!
Me Stan. Bachomp Ba chuey chomp.  Ba Chuey chomp.

MontyServo

« Reply #786 on: July 25, 2012, 02:25:10 PM »

Just saw it again today. Holds up for me! 

Nuff said!

Offline a pretty girl is like

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 450
  • I hast had enow of thine effrontery!
« Reply #787 on: July 25, 2012, 02:28:36 PM »
Well, they did mention it was 4am or so at the start of the raid

I have no idea, for instance,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I am drawing a blank as well.  A lot of stuff happens in that movie, it is easy to forget some of the smaller details.

I'm all out for kicks...and every inch of me spells EXCITEMENT!

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #788 on: July 25, 2012, 03:31:28 PM »
Well, they did mention it was 4am or so at the start of the raid

I have no idea, for instance,

I am drawing a blank as well.  A lot of stuff happens in that movie, it is easy to forget some of the smaller details.

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 91
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #789 on: July 25, 2012, 09:13:12 PM »
Well, just saw it. I'm not reading ANY other posts in here, or anyone else's opinion of it ANYWHERE until I have my own thoughts put down. I don't want them contaminated by accidentally, say, reading something that I didn't notice myself in the movie or. . . whatever. So, if I'm repeating a lot of common sentiments, well, so be it.

All and all, I say Nolan's Batman trilogy went from strength to strength.

For me at least, it took a good hour or more to build up steam, but after it does, well, it had a lot of goddamn steam. Let's put it that way. I was just starting to get kinda bored with it and a bit let down when it just started really picking up, and then it had me hooked. I had no idea what to expect from this movie, I deliberately read very little about it in the last few months. But I know I sure as hell wasn't expecting what I saw. And I loved what I saw. ^_^

Of course, that's after ONE viewing. I guess the real question will be how much staying power it has. Will it endure as well The Dark Knight did? I'm not so sure. I suspect the themes and story of The Dark Knight will endure better. It's probably the better movie, but a part of me just really doesn't even want to compare them. The two movies go in such different directions, which I think was a brilliant decision. There was no recreating The Dark Knight, and it would've been a disaster to try. And even IF they succeeded, it only would've been ANOTHER Dark Knight.

Here, they took some risks, and I believe it paid off handsomely. And even if ends up being remembered as not quite as good as its predecessor, it deserves some major praise for that.

Also I wasn't crazy about Bane's accent. But whatever, just one more reason we wanted to see Batman kick his ass!
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Russell

« Reply #790 on: July 26, 2012, 07:46:47 PM »
Did anyone else get a Wrath of Khan vibe at the end of the film with them reading the lines from A tale of two cities?

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2400
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #791 on: July 26, 2012, 07:47:46 PM »
Did anyone else get a Wrath of Khan vibe at the end of the film with them reading the lines from A tale of two cities?

That passage always makes me think Wrath of Khan, it never fails.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Russell

« Reply #792 on: July 26, 2012, 08:47:47 PM »
Indeed. :) I also like how

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #793 on: July 26, 2012, 10:21:32 PM »
Indeed. :) I also like how

Which reminds me:
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3596
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #794 on: July 27, 2012, 10:22:27 AM »
Finally saw it.

I absolutely loved it.  I don't know if I can compare it to the others because it just seemed so epic.  Maybe that's the IMAX talking, but it just seemed like it had a much larger scope than the other two (not necessarily better, just bigger scope).

I have a few complaints, but I'll save those for later.  I just really enjoyed it, and I'm sad that it's over.