Author Topic: HERCULE POIROT  (Read 9287 times)

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
Re: HERCULE POIROT
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2007, 05:11:44 PM »
they trivialized holmes' heroine addiction

Offline Trufire

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2007, 05:36:04 PM »
That's because when the books were written, it was the "in" thing to do :-P ::)
"I like me..." Caboose; Red vs Blue

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2007, 05:39:03 PM »
yes but oddly enough in fact screw ill just copy wiki ;)

Modern readers of the Holmes stories are apt to be surprised that he was an occasional user (a habitual user when lacking in stimulating cases) of cocaine and morphine, though Watson describes this as Holmes' "only vice". Eventually, as recorded in "The Adventure of the Missing Three-Quarter", Watson was gradually able to convince Holmes to discontinue the use of these drugs:

"For years I had gradually weaned him from that drug mania which had threatened once to check his remarkable career. Now I knew that under ordinary conditions he no longer craved for this artificial stimulus, but I was well aware that the fiend was not dead, but sleeping."

Given that cocaine and morphine-related drugs like heroin were not yet illegal in the Victorian era and could be openly bought and sold for medical purposes, Watson was arguably ahead of his time in recognizing their dangers.

Interesting i thought

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2007, 09:37:06 AM »
I'm reading Muder on the Orient Express right now. It's really good and the humor is almost ahead of its time.

Offline Jinto

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2007, 05:05:09 PM »
What I find incredibly amusing is that an anime based on Agatha Christie's novels was made. The target audience seems to be children, so it's kid safe. It's simplistic really, but not bad if you're into these kinds of detective and mystery stories. The major problem with the series, however, is the inclusion of an incredibly annoying pet duck belonging to a young girl named Mable West, included as an original character, who is related to Mable (or Marple, whatever) and works for Poirot (in other words, she creates a link between those two characters). More info can be found here:

http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=2161

Offline Jinto

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2007, 05:10:56 PM »
Oh, and Sherlock Holmes is the greatest detective in fiction ever, hands down. You're nuts if you think otherwise. :P

Also, Jeremy Brett was, and forever shall be, the best Sherlock Holmes in film or television. No question, no discussion. It is simple, undeniable, universal fact. ;D