Author Topic: Gonna Get Into This Show  (Read 3372 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6259
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: Gonna Get Into This Show
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2010, 06:26:13 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4RHVoFpncgA?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/4RHVoFpncgA?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>
Probably one of the greatest Tom Servo moments ever. It has everything that made Tom Servo, Tom Servo. A great performance of a nice sounding song, with hilariously inapropriate lyrics. Tom delusionally going too far (because he has no sense of proportion), as he often does. Great reactions by Crow and Mike to Tom's careening off the edge performance. And to top it all of, Tom crying (which he does often and is so hilarious)!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 06:33:41 PM by Darth Geek »

Offline jake21221

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2010, 06:39:13 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4RHVoFpncgA?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/4RHVoFpncgA?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>
Probably one of the greatest Tom Servo moments ever. It has everything that made Tom Servo, Tom Servo. A great performance of a nice sounding song, with hilariously inapropriate lyrics. Tom delusionally going too far (because he has no sense of proportion), as he often does. Great reactions by Crow and Mike to Tom's careening off the edge performance. And to top it all of, Tom crying (which he does often and is so hilarious)!
OK well thats obviously the best thing ever.  :clap:

Offline byuni

• Schnappi Supporter
  • I'm Bob Rifftrax!
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2010, 08:07:32 PM »
I love Final Sacrifice... from Rowsdower to the Red Green look-and-soundalike, it just screams 'CANADA' all over the place.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 498
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2010, 08:52:00 PM »
I think SoulTaker, Puma Man, Future War, and Space Mutiny are really palatable for newbies.  Tho, yes, Final Sacrifice is a must-see for any Canuck.

Offline FordPrefect

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2010, 01:23:31 AM »
Final Sacrifice is the perfect choice for a fellow Canuck to introduce himself to MST.  Rowsdower for PM (watch Final Sacrifice and you'll know what I mean)! 
The first dvd of the show I ever bought was the two pack with Manos: the Hands of Fate, and Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, which are definately two of the all-time best (it might be out of printo though).

That two pack was called "Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Essentials" and it's still in print. Might not be available for too much longer though, since it's a Rhino release.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 999
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2010, 12:57:55 PM »
Hunt down the following to start:

Mitchell
Manos
Space Mutiny
Pod People
Werewolf
The Various Shorts discs

Any of the sets that these are on should be a good start for you.

Offline jake21221

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2010, 02:44:31 PM »

Mitchell
Manos
Space Mutiny
Pod People
Werewolf
The Various Shorts discs

Thanks I just ordered a few rhino sets. Screw moderation and crap!

Offline doctorsuarez

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2010, 08:48:35 PM »

Mitchell
Manos
Space Mutiny
Pod People
Werewolf
The Various Shorts discs

Compound's right about these.  Let me just explain in a bit more depth.

I'd start with Pod People.  It's a classic, golden-era Joel episode that should really give you a good sense of the show in its season 2-5 form.  It's also my favorite from that era and has everything that made the show great.  Good host segments, great movie riffing, and just a touch of sentimentality. 

Then, Manos.  Fair warning: While it's a good, funny episode, the movie itself is just so wacked out and horrible that it's going to be a bit tough to get through.  Still, it's the most notorious episode of MST.  It's a must for anyone who wants to be a fan.  Someone on another site referred to it as "Advanced MST3K" and that's only a mild exaggeration.

Then, I'd go with Mitchell.  It's the last Joel episode, which is practically TV history, and it's INCREDIBLY FUNNY.  Just plain merciless. 

Then you get into the Mike era.  I'm not partisan.  I like them both.  The thing is, Mike was part of Season 6, which is kind of a low point only because the movies they got were unusually dreary.  Still, there are good ones to be found.  I'd find at least one Coleman Francis movie.  Probably Red Zone Cuba or Beast of Yucca Flats. 

But Mike's Sci Fi episodes are really strong almost wall-to-wall.  Maybe they were just getting really good at their craft, but the Sci Fi years abound in classic episodes.  Again, Compound is right.  Space Mutiny, Werewolf, both excellent suggestions.  To them I'd add Final Sacrifice, Riding with Death, and most importantly:  Hobgoblins.  It's not even that Hobgoblins is the best of that era.  It's good, but there are better.  No, the reason is that it's sort of considered to be the Manos of the Sci Fi years.  It's just so offensively horrible a movie.  The Brains seem genuinely traumatized by it.

Otherwise, opinions range very widely about many episodes.  I personally have changed my mind on several having seen them when I was 14, and again years later.  But I think, for a start, you've got many episodes to keep you busy.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 498
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2010, 08:59:11 PM »
I really love Pumaman as well.
I hear he flies like a moron.

Offline doggans

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2010, 08:00:10 PM »
I often sit people down who have never seen the show and put on Werewolf. It's a great ep.

That's my usual course of action. Unless they don't want to sit through a full movie, in which case I start them off with Mr. B Natural.

Offline FordPrefect

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2010, 02:34:04 AM »
I'd start with Pod People.  It's a classic, golden-era Joel episode that should really give you a good sense of the show in its season 2-5 form.  It's also my favorite from that era and has everything that made the show great.  Good host segments, great movie riffing, and just a touch of sentimentality. 

The very first episode of MST3K I ever saw was Pod People, back in September 1995 when it aired on my local WB affiliate as "The Mystery Science Theater Hour". I don't know if you'll love it as much as I did, it might just be the nostalgia talking, but is sure as heck helped me get into the show.

To them I'd add Final Sacrifice, Riding with Death, and most importantly:  Hobgoblins.  It's not even that Hobgoblins is the best of that era.  It's good, but there are better.  No, the reason is that it's sort of considered to be the Manos of the Sci Fi years.  It's just so offensively horrible a movie.  The Brains seem genuinely traumatized by it.

Really? I always considered The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies to be the Manos of the SCI-FI years. They are both good episodes though.

spaceforarent

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2010, 06:02:25 AM »

The very first episode of MST3K I ever saw was Pod People, back in September 1995 when it aired on my local WB affiliate as "The Mystery Science Theater Hour". I don't know if you'll love it as much as I did, it might just be the nostalgia talking, but is sure as heck helped me get into the show.

Pod People is one of my favorites, but it's a very Joel-esque episode. Which might not be a good starter for someone more familiar with the Rifftrax-esque humour.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 999
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2010, 03:36:00 PM »

Then you get into the Mike era.  I'm not partisan.  I like them both.  The thing is, Mike was part of Season 6, which is kind of a low point only because the movies they got were unusually dreary.  Still, there are good ones to be found.  I'd find at least one Coleman Francis movie.  Probably Red Zone Cuba or Beast of Yucca Flats. 

Let me argue for a different one- Episode 622  Angel's Revenge. It's much, much less dreary than the Coleman Francis stuff. It's available on Vol 2, along with Cave Dwellers (a great, but not mentioned by me episode), Pod People and a shorts disc. And as an "Homage" to  Charlie's Angels , it's rather accessible to newcomers.