Author Topic: Generic e-Reader thread.  (Read 23778 times)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1228
Re: Generic e-Reader thread.
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2013, 12:54:45 PM »
Plus, my fingers have more nerve ending information than just "solid surface" in them. They need to develop something more tactile than 'smooth glass'.

That exists (sorry, haven't visited this thread in a long time.)

http://theweek.com/article/index/222204/the-touchscreen-that-lets-you-feel-textures

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 968
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2013, 10:16:36 AM »
Okay, ignoring the fact that this is a generic thread...

Amazon announced today a Kindle Matchbook program. Basic rundown: If you've bought a book from Amazon in the past, they'll be giving you a break on the cost of that book for Kindle. Prices range from $2.99, $1.99, $.99 or free. (Europeans please check your local branch of Amazon to see if the program exists and for pricing.) Only certain titles apply and yes, you need a Kindle or the Kindle program/App to read them.

In my particular case, Amazon offered me a bunch of Discworld books for about $1.99 a pop.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2286
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2013, 10:33:25 AM »
Plus, my fingers have more nerve ending information than just "solid surface" in them. They need to develop something more tactile than 'smooth glass'.

That exists (sorry, haven't visited this thread in a long time.)

http://theweek.com/article/index/222204/the-touchscreen-that-lets-you-feel-textures
This might eventually make those remote apps for stuff like a Roku box useful, so you can find the buttons without looking away from the TV screen.  But for an e-reader not sure it's necessary, swiping is just fine for page turning, I guess if you are taking notes a more tactile keyboard would be nice.

That Amazon program is interesting, but they say I don't have any...  I know I've bought a few books in the last 5 years that also had kindle editions, don't know why they are not showing up.  Guess the offer doesn't cover every book.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 02:04:18 PM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 968
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2013, 02:02:14 PM »
No, it only covers about 70,000 books at the moment, which is a lot but there are millions of books out there.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2015, 01:26:50 PM »
Had to come here to remember how old my Kindle was, thought it was more than 4 and a half years but I guess not.
Battery in mine is not taking a full charge any more, ordered a replacement kit from newpower99, supposed to have the tools needed to open the case, I've been burned by these types of kits before where the tool pretty much breaks as soon as you try to pry the case open, we'll see.  If I have to use something metal to open the back it's no big deal since I have my Kindle in a leather case and wouldn't feel any divots in the plastic that you always seem to get prying these things apart with screwdrivers...

Thought about ordering a new Kindle, the Voyage is almost enough of a step up to be worth upgrading, but I like my current one so will try the battery replacement kit first....

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2015, 10:49:33 PM »
The kit from newpower99 had pretty good tools, the plastic pry-bar worked very well getting the back of my Kindle off.  New battery in and it charged up to full in a few hours (old one was taking many hours to get to 90% and would drop to 50% overnight with no use).

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2017, 05:11:47 PM »
Got a big Amazon gift card at work so went and upgraded to a Kindle Voyage.

It's been almost 2 years since replacing the battery on my 2010 Kindle Keyboard and it's just starting to show signs of having less battery life.

Only read for about 20 minutes on the Voyage so far but like the higher resolution display.

The LEDs are automatic, don't come on in a bright room, and get dimer as the room gets darker.