login

Author Topic: Generic e-Reader thread.  (Read 23584 times)

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 613
Re: Generic e-Reader thread.
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2010, 07:17:10 PM »
Nook just came out with a color version.

There go the arguments for e-ink and e-paper being better for your eyes than a backlit screen I guess, huh B&N?

They must have been getting their butt's handed to them by Amazon in the eInk market. I imagine they'll have an easier fight against Borders and their new device. I loves the Android OS, but the Cruz that I tested was sluggish to respond and the reading app was a bit awkward (though, I suppose you could just dload the kindle droid app...which I have on my phone, and love it)

Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.

Offline Nergol

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2010, 12:54:19 AM »
I own the Sony Pocket Reader (PRS-300). I like it a lot, and find I don't miss any kind of wireless connectivity at all. Reading books is a different paradigm from consuming music or podcasts. Books take longer, so the amount of time before you'll need to load up new content is longer. Unless I was going on a hike across the Australian outback or crossing the ocean in a sailboat, I can't imagine being away from a computer for so long that I couldn't just wait to load up some new books from that.

To give you an idea, I bought my Reader so I could use it to read all the books on the reading list for M.A. (English Lit. - specifically 20th century Modernism) exit exam while I was away for the summer. I loaded up 30 novels, about ten plays, and a couple volumes of poetry. Since ebooks are so small, his took up not even a tenth of the Reader's 512MB of internal storage. I'm a pretty fast reader (you kinda have to be to get a Master's Degree in English), and reading almost nonstop, basically as a full-time job, it still took me four months to get through the whole thing. Thus, the likelihood that someone reading at an average pace will run themselves out of content between occasions when they can sit down at a computer and load up some more stuff to read is pretty small. So, I don't really see any really pressing need for wireless of any kind on an e-reader.

That is, assuming you don't want to subscribe to a newspaper on your e-reader, which you might. Then, of course, wireless makes perfect sense. If that's the case, get a Kindle. My dad has one, is subscribed to the NY Times on it, and likes it a lot.

One thing I would strongly recommend no matter what e-reader you buy is to install Calibre. It's a freeware ebook management software, and I have no idea how I'd manage my ebook collection (currently about 7000 books) without it. Trust me on this one - it's what all the cool kids are using, and for good reason. It works with basically every e-reader out there, and it's good stuff.

Offline Nergol

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2011, 12:56:00 PM »
Just to clarify, the touch screen on the Nook is just at the bottom, not the actual area where you read.

The whole screen is capable of touch input. The Nook-e-book has become very popular with modders who've taken to installing full-on Android on it and using it as an inexpensive, high-quality Android tablet. I know someone (a Google employee, actually) who's done that and swears that it makes the best Android tablet on the market, and for half the cost of most tablets in its class.

I've tried a bunch of converters on that physics paper PDF from several posts back, Calibre, MobiPocket Creator, sending it to free.kindle.com, none of them could deal with the equations.  All the words were converted into plain text just fine but the equations were mangled.

Converting other formats for e-readers is something that anyone can do, but that it takes a professional to do really well. Without bothering you with too many details, I was on staff at a magazine that considered doing a Kindle edition. We finally concluded that the best thing to do if we wanted to keep our formatting intact was to bite the bullet and outsource to a professional instead of trying to handle it in-house. The point is that these things can probably be handled right by a pro.

jasimon1

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2011, 01:10:26 PM »
What you quoted above of mine was in reference to the regular nook not the nook color. The statement was made before the nook color was available.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2266
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2011, 06:20:42 PM »
Well Amazon has just announced what amounts to an ad-supported Kindle for $115.

Wow, I really hope no one buys it.  Only $25 off the regular price and you'll have an ad on the screen whenever the kindle is in sleep mode, and on the home screen, doesn't seem worth it to me, if they gave you a big discount like 50% then I could see it being worth it.

I wonder if they have done something to the firmware to lock it down?  I could see people buying this and then running the screensaver hack to wipe out the ads...   I've done the hack on mine and have converted my own dragonfly pictures so the screensavers match the Oberon cover I got.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2011, 06:32:42 PM »
I'm sure some of these will end up in the hands of the people that do the hacks, so it won't take long to find out if it's possible to kill the screensaver ads.

$25 off would be OK if it were just a small banner on the home screen and no screensaver ads.   There are loads of people that hate the "dead authors" on the screensavers now, I have to go over to the kindle boards and see the reaction to this ad driven Kindle, maybe those people would be happier with ads instead of the dead authors.

Offline FLOCK of RABID SHEEP?!?!

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2011, 06:50:02 PM »
Yay the nook color finally has that update to allow it to watch flash movies and d/l apps. I know what I'm doing tonight lol.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2011, 08:06:36 AM »
Now I have been against E readers since day one but my dad got my mom a Kindle for her birthday and now I want one. A lot of my favorite books are free ans it will read them to you!  I can't believe I am saying this but as soon as I have the money I will be getting kindle.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2404
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2011, 08:23:41 AM »
My sister got my mom a kindle for XMAS and I thought there is NO WAY she would like or know how to use it.   However, glad to say that I wrong as she loves it.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2011, 08:29:22 AM »
My sister got my mom a kindle for XMAS and I thought there is NO WAY she would like or know how to use it.   However, glad to say that I wrong as she loves it.

yeah my mom can't figure out email or google but she has no problem using the Kindle so far.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2011, 04:04:18 PM »
Amazon just went nuts with new kindles...  Some with touch screens, some with standard e-ink, some keep the keyboard, some with just a few buttons, and one tablet like device.

The Kindle Fire looks pretty impressive (that might be a color nook killer), I'll be really interested in reading the reviews of it when it starts shipping in November.  The price sure is good if it really can run apps, surf the web, and do a better job at PDFs than the current standard kindle, I paid more for my ipod....

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2011, 07:46:49 PM »
Amazon just went nuts with new kindles...  Some with touch screens, some with standard e-ink, some keep the keyboard, some with just a few buttons, and one tablet like device.

The Kindle Fire looks pretty impressive (that might be a color nook killer), I'll be really interested in reading the reviews of it when it starts shipping in November.  The price sure is good if it really can run apps, surf the web, and do a better job at PDFs than the current standard kindle, I paid more for my ipod....

The drawback for me on the Kindle Fire is that it's locked to the Amazon system.  I'd rather, I think, buy something that can read all formats. Also: No way to put your own shit on it directly, it's all wifi.

It has a USB port, so it's too early to say if you can put stuff on it directly.  And it looks like it has the same format support as all the other kindles, which means it should be able to read all the non-DRM formats out there.  So yeah, if you want to buy a book that has DRM you'll have to go to Amazon.

Not clear if it gives you access to the same cloud drive everyone with an amazon account gets.  If it does then there's no need for a direct connection, unless you don't have a wi-fi access point at home (but those cheap and easy to set up now).

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2011, 08:23:03 PM »
im sure like the kindle regular, its both.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2011, 12:32:34 PM »
Hadn't heard of the Airpad before, looks very interesting.  If you are reading at home next to an outlet then battery life doesn't matter.  And if you don't read outside or in bright light then screen glare isn't an issue.

Hope it works out better for you than the kindle did, there's no way to use a forehead lamp with it, or any other reader for that matter, they all have glass screens and will reflect a lamp that's positioned anywhere near your head or behind it.  So a back-lit screen and no headlamp would be better for you.

To use a reading lamp with the kindle you've got to position it like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

shodan

« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2011, 03:35:02 PM »
That solid lead frame should make it pretty durable then.