login

Author Topic: Generic e-Reader thread.  (Read 24865 times)

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 617
Re: Generic e-Reader thread.
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2010, 11:53:49 AM »
Late to the discussion, as always.

I've been using a Kindle for about a month now, since the new models were released. I absolutely love it. At first I was wary of the DRM and all of the crap that comes along with that type of thing...but when it comes to actually using the device and converting/importing my own files, it really isn't an issue at all. With a little creativity you can make any file work (...DRM'd ePubs are the exception) and I've had very little frustration with conversions. For once, I really have no complaints other than the difference in selection between the US and UK stores.
Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2010, 12:03:09 PM »
Just out of curiosity--have you de-DRMed anything?

I haven't had a need to yet, but I have acquired backup copies of books I already own physical copies of through...less than honest...means. Those, I find, work best when I can get a mobi, html, or non-drm epub format.
Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.

anais.jude

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2010, 07:45:45 PM »
Is there a way to highlight and write notes about the highlighted section with a Kindle or Nook?

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2010, 08:14:52 PM »
Is there a way to highlight and write notes about the highlighted section with a Kindle or Nook?

Yeap.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2396
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2010, 09:58:17 PM »

Yeap.

The Sony touchscreen readers are supposed to be the best for highlighting, using the 5 way cursor thingy on the latest Kindle isn't bad, on the Nook I've heard that it's only available on books you get from the B&N book store and it has to be enabled for the book, quickly searching around I couldn't find info on how you actually do it or how easy it is to do.

If you want to highlight PDFs you'll have to convert them to a text format first.  That can be anywhere from easy to impossible depending on the content of the PDF.

On another note:

I tried sending a Word doc to be converted by Amazon, worked very well.   The other method is to save it from Word as html, then use a converter like Calibre to convert the html to mobi, that ended up looking pretty close to the conversion Amazon did (the Amazon conversion preserved the layout better).  If you don't have any fancy formatting in the word doc you could save it as txt and the Kindle would read it directly.

anais.jude

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2010, 08:07:42 AM »

Yeap.

Ok, then now my only issue with the Kindle is that not all the books I want to read are available. I was trying to get Mosquitoes by William Faulkner for my Business Trip and sinc ehte ibrary didn't have it, I was going to download the Kindle app t my iphone and by the book, but no Faulkner is available on Kindle.

How long before all titles are available, do you think? Faulkner is one I would def need so I could have all his books as well as my notes on them easily availble to more perusal

Offline pezdrake

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2010, 06:06:38 AM »
Right now, I'd agree that Kindle is probably the best, but there's no way I'll buy one of those until Amazon opens up the source or allows epub stuff.  Fuck that .azw proprietary shit, too.  I know there are hacks, but Amazon can just brick your device remotely if they feel like it.  Fuck that, also.

I think right now, if I had to buy one, I'd go with the Nook.  More open format, you can borrow books, and you can easily convert text files into readable docs without having to circumvent security measures.

I'm starting to look at these. Is there any open platform reader that I can go anywhere to get downloadable content?  Which is to say, if I get a Nook (as an example) am I forced to buy fron Barnes and Noble or can I go other places and get content to store and read?  Also, does the DRM issue mean that they have access to what I have stored on my reader? Does info get sent back to a server somewhere to monitor what people are reading and downloading? These are my concerns.  I'm hopeful some smart person will come along and make a reader that will use a range of platforms and people can self-publish in an easy to use online bookstore and not be confined to a certain distributor. If that makes sense.  Is there any e-reader close to that?

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2010, 08:58:10 AM »
Right now, I'd agree that Kindle is probably the best, but there's no way I'll buy one of those until Amazon opens up the source or allows epub stuff.  Fuck that .azw proprietary shit, too.  I know there are hacks, but Amazon can just brick your device remotely if they feel like it.  Fuck that, also.

I think right now, if I had to buy one, I'd go with the Nook.  More open format, you can borrow books, and you can easily convert text files into readable docs without having to circumvent security measures.

I'm starting to look at these. Is there any open platform reader that I can go anywhere to get downloadable content?  Which is to say, if I get a Nook (as an example) am I forced to buy fron Barnes and Noble or can I go other places and get content to store and read?  Also, does the DRM issue mean that they have access to what I have stored on my reader? Does info get sent back to a server somewhere to monitor what people are reading and downloading? These are my concerns.  I'm hopeful some smart person will come along and make a reader that will use a range of platforms and people can self-publish in an easy to use online bookstore and not be confined to a certain distributor. If that makes sense.  Is there any e-reader close to that?

For DRM books I've only read about 2 formats: epub and amazon.  So if you really want to shop around for DRM books go with the Nook or the new version of the Kobo coming out soon.  But when I was looking into these I never saw a book exclusive to one store, if one had it they all had it, and I don't remember ever seeing prices change between stores.

For non-DRM books it really doesn't matter what reader you get, if the book you want is only available in a format your reader can't read there are a lot of free programs out there to convert one format to another.  For that reason you usually see non-DRM books available in all the popular formats so you usually don't have to do any conversion yourself.

As for publishing non-DRM books mobi seems to be the format I've seen used the most, but like I said, it's easy to convert one format to another. 

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2010, 09:07:37 AM »

Yeap.

Ok, then now my only issue with the Kindle is that not all the books I want to read are available. I was trying to get Mosquitoes by William Faulkner for my Business Trip and sinc ehte ibrary didn't have it, I was going to download the Kindle app t my iphone and by the book, but no Faulkner is available on Kindle.

How long before all titles are available, do you think? Faulkner is one I would def need so I could have all his books as well as my notes on them easily availble to more perusal

For books still under copyright it's up to a publisher to do the conversion, for older books it means scanning the pages and running them through character recognition software, then profreading, so how long or if a book gets converted probably depends on how much money the publisher thinks they can make off the digital version. 

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2010, 09:29:23 AM »

Yeap.

For books still under copyright it's up to a publisher to do the conversion, for older books it means scanning the pages and running them through character recognition software, then profreading, so how long or if a book gets converted probably depends on how much money the publisher thinks they can make off the digital version. 

Not probably - definitely, that's exactly what it depends on for older titles. Writing letters and bugging publishers also helps - I've seen it work with a few books.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2010, 02:00:45 PM »

Yeap.

Not probably - definitely, that's exactly what it depends on for older titles. Writing letters and bugging publishers also helps - I've seen it work with a few books.

Yea, but I figured there might be cases where an entire collection was converted and they might take a loss on some books just to please people that would want a complete set.

How stupid is this:  I'm looking at the next Alan Dean Foster book coming out next month, the digital version is $15, the hardcover is $18.  Stupid greedy publishers, does it really only cost a few dollars to print and bind a hard cover?  Guess I'll be getting the hard cover just on spite...  >:D

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2010, 02:09:49 PM »
I also thought that on a bunch of books that were only a few dollars cheaper....but then I experienced Amazon's sync system. I have the Kindle app for my droid, so even if I don;t have the Kindle with me I can still read all of my books, and it even saves where I left off. That kind of feature, IMO, makes it a worthy trade-off. 

anais.jude

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2010, 08:07:24 AM »
Faulkner's not that old.....

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2010, 10:09:09 AM »
Faulkner's not that old.....

If the books you are looking for get reprinted once in a while there's a better chance of getting a digital copy the next time the publisher does it.  I doubt there are any printers left that haven't gone digital, so to reprint an old book some kind of source material will need to be scanned.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2010, 09:10:11 AM »
Nook just came out with a color version.

There go the arguments for e-ink and e-paper being better for your eyes than a backlit screen I guess, huh B&N?

They are trying to make it more like the iPad, and at less than half the price it might be a nice alternative if you want something that does video.  I guess we will see when people actually start using it how good the screen is, or if it has the same eye strain issues as other backlit screens.  I can see it being better for magazines, and other stuff that has color and that you don't usually sit down and read for more than an hour or 2, I don't see how any backlit screen can be stared at for over 2 hours without eye strain.

It looks like a smaller iPad with software more geared towards reading, so the complaints about glare, eye strain, short battery life, etc. will probably still hold up, but we'll see when people get their hands on it the last week in November.

Edit:  I'll be interested in seeing what the hackers do with this.  If the operating system can be replaced to make it more like a regular tablet, that might make it appealing to me.

Not sure why they don't use a screen like the one in my GPS, that has an LCD that can be read in sunlight with the backlight off or have the backlight on at night.

Amazon just announced they will be adding the option to lend a book for 2 weeks.  Borrowing from the library should be next...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 09:21:13 AM by MartyS (Gromit) »