login

Author Topic: What did you learn in High School?  (Read 17545 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5894
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: What did we learn?
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2010, 08:08:23 PM »
I learned that a movie named High School Musical doesn't actually have to have the High School Musical in it! Shouldn't it have been called High School Musical Audition?!

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3204
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2010, 11:00:23 PM »
I learned that there are surprisingly few children of Latin American descent attending High School in the largest city in New Mexico.

For real! And no Native Americans at all. I LIVE by Albuquerque. That was not a sampling of a New Mexico demographic. Not even a little bit. And we don't have green lawns, or trees.

Seriously, if you're going to set the thing in Albuquerque just 'cause the name rocks (Which it does), then like- Go there. Find out what it's LIKE. Try to make your movie look like that.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 765
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2010, 11:50:56 PM »
I learned that there are surprisingly few children of Latin American descent attending High School in the largest city in New Mexico.

For real! And no Native Americans at all. I LIVE by Albuquerque. That was not a sampling of a New Mexico demographic. Not even a little bit. And we don't have green lawns, or trees.

Seriously, if you're going to set the thing in Albuquerque just 'cause the name rocks (Which it does), then like- Go there. Find out what it's LIKE. Try to make your movie look like that.

My wife said it was way too green to be Albuquerque and I said that the high school was way too white to be Albuquerque!
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 91
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2010, 01:31:36 AM »
My high school had an office in each of the locker rooms, too. I just assumed they were all like that, so I didn't really think anything of that.

But I *DID* learn that high schools hold their big championship basketball games at three in the afternoon. You'd think it would take place in the evening when parents and sports fans from the community would be free to attend as well. However, you would be wrong.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2010, 01:32:42 AM »

My wife said it was way too green to be Albuquerque and I said that the high school was way too white to be Albuquerque!

Well, if this explains everything -- and it SHOULD -- the movie was actually filmed in Salt Lake City.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline doggans

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2010, 04:10:04 AM »
I could tell it wasn't Albuquerque. There were no shriners or lepers playing their ukuleles all day long, and NOT ONE PERSON offered to shave another's back for a nickel.

Wakka wakka do do, yeah.

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2010, 05:09:34 AM »
There's also a scene where ever-so-briefly, you can clearly see Bugs Bunny making a left turn.

That, too, tipped me off.

Offline Blue Raja

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 1
  • Not Knifey Boy or Stab-Man.
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2010, 07:46:44 AM »
- I learned that Sharpay's bipolar disorder is tragically underplayed in this film.  No one should go from vindictive harpy to supportive friend in a matter of seconds like she did without something far more serious going on there.

- I learned that the lady who played the drama teacher should NOT listen to this riff.

- I learned that Disembaudio should have used the entire songs as sync lines.

- I learned that the phrases "gimme gimme" and "shimmy shimmy" should NEVER be rhymed again.  As a matter of fact, the entire lyrics of "Bop to the Top" are a crime against all that is musical and lyrical. 

"Stump stump stump - do the rump"?

"Zip zap zop - walk like a mop"?  :speechless:

- I concur with doggans....not enough Weird Al's "Albuquerque" references were made for my liking. ;D
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 08:50:20 AM by Blue Raja »
Featuring the taxpayer-funded efforts of Blue Raja, Hellcat, and Skyroniter!

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2010, 03:20:19 PM »
I learned that the generational divide between me and younger people is wider than I thought. If anyone had liked something like High School Musical when I was in any of the assorted levels of grade school, they'd have been beaten to a bloody pulp.

I also learned that classes can be about five minutes long. Where the crap were these five minute classes when I was in school?

Lastly, if Albuquerque, NM is supposed to be like it is in High School musical, then Pak and I evidently don't live there. Seriously, the producers of the show didn't even try to get it right. NM is the most dressed down, non-preppy, drunken state there is. Not the extended Gap commercial (as Pak phrased it to me) that's represented in the franchise.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2010, 04:47:57 PM »
I could tell it wasn't Albuquerque. There were no shriners or lepers playing their ukuleles all day long, and NOT ONE PERSON offered to shave another's back for a nickel.

Wakka wakka do do, yeah.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

That is my favorite song ever.

Offline Kenotic

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 4
  • Small and of no account
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2010, 08:27:15 PM »
There are the guys, at least I think so.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 10:45:46 PM by Kenotic »
I was a student at a small midwestern college....

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5894
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2010, 09:43:48 PM »
- Olesya Rulin (best known as Kelsi, the piano girl who's counting the days until she can remake herself as a tortured artist in college) was in a movie called "Vampire Chicks with Chainsaws." I actually kind of want to see that movie now.
So do I!

Offline FordPrefect

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2010, 10:13:43 PM »
- Ashley Tisdale (best known for her understated role as HSM's Sharpe) had a role in Donnie Darko. I now have a small bit of respect for her.

I have some respect for her because she provides the voice of Candace on Phineas and Ferb, one of the best animated shows I've seen in recent years. Now if only Disney would release some season sets of the series.  :(

Offline vistavizion

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2010, 12:00:50 AM »
"The only girl who I thought was really hot was the composer girl."

Me too.  She was much prettier than the lead.

Offline Blue Raja

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 1
  • Not Knifey Boy or Stab-Man.
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2010, 07:08:13 AM »
I have some respect for her because she provides the voice of Candace on Phineas and Ferb, one of the best animated shows I've seen in recent years. Now if only Disney would release some season sets of the series.  :(
Wow, took the words right out of my virtual mouth - 100% agreement here, even about the season sets thing.  Big fan of the show and her character myself.  She's definitely got solid comedic and musical talent - she just inherited a thoroughly unpleasant role/script in this particular film.

Something else I learned:

- "Hottie super-bum" is a frequently used phrase among cheerleaders and cheerleader-type teenage girls to describe cute boys.  Or maybe it's "hottie super-bob," it was hard to tell.  Either way, it's frequently used and the use of it is never questioned or given awkward looks.
Featuring the taxpayer-funded efforts of Blue Raja, Hellcat, and Skyroniter!