Author Topic: High School Musical Sample!  (Read 13619 times)

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Re: High School Musical Sample!
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 05:37:47 PM »
Were these movies ever in theaters, or were they direct to TV?

According to Wikipedia the third one was a theatrical release, but not the first two.

More proof that everything about this series is wrong.  You're supposed to start in theaters and as things get worse and extra lame end up going direct to video.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline PlayMSTie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
That looks hilarious, but I'm a bit disappointed that Disembaudio isn't singing along with all the songs. I had such hopes.
"There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal." C. S. Lewis

Bring back Bridget!

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2654
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 07:51:20 PM »
That looks hilarious, but I'm a bit disappointed that Disembaudio isn't singing along with all the songs. I had such hopes.

Dis not singing along with all of the songs is my favourite thing about the sample. :P
FINE

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5900
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 07:59:57 PM »
I'm sure they'll have Dis singing at some point, since it's become like a running gag. But to do it for long stretches of time throughout the movie would just be way too much.

Offline Scribblesense

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 2
  • I use every color in the box. At once.
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 10:48:43 PM »

According to Wikipedia the third one was a theatrical release, but not the first two.

More proof that everything about this series is wrong.  You're supposed to start in theaters and as things get worse and extra lame end up going direct to video.

Not if you're Disney and have eighty different TV channels to hawk your factory-produced pop stars on.

Seriously, they come up with new "Disney Channel Original Movies" about every month. And pretty much every commercial is just a promotion for whatever Disney movie they're coming up with next.
"Hey, you kids! Those boxes are for shipping! Not for creating a world of pure imagination!"

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2010, 12:14:22 AM »

Not if you're Disney and have eighty different TV channels to hawk your factory-produced pop stars on.

Seriously, they come up with new "Disney Channel Original Movies" about every month. And pretty much every commercial is just a promotion for whatever Disney movie they're coming up with next.

Think it shows that even Disney didn't think this pablum was going to get as popular as it became.  Must have thought it was good enough to take up some time on their channel but not worth the cost of producing prints and promoting it....

That looks.....so......terminally bland.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2010, 05:26:28 AM »
I can only imagine that it gets even worse in the sequels, once there is the sense that it is "like, the best thing since EVER".  :P

Offline doctorhu

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
  • Nobody lends money to a man with a sense of humor.
    • Frighteningly Pretentious Komix!
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2010, 10:27:29 AM »
Oh, Netflix recommendations.

"Due to your interest in Crossroads and High School Musical we think you'll enjoy removing yourself from the gene pool."

(Okay, it didn't actually say that, but that's what the recommendations feel like)
--
"Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer!" Yes, that Rudolph! A three-riffer joint from The Kids on the Street!
http://bit.ly/ece9kA

"Dining Together" still in iRiffs!
http://bit.ly/bfWs6l

"A Case For Beer," in the iRiffs store!
http://bit.ly/diRymh

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2010, 10:43:38 AM »

"Due to your interest in Crossroads and High School Musical we think you'll enjoy removing yourself from the gene pool."

(Okay, it didn't actually say that, but that's what the recommendations feel like)
:clap: :clap:

Offline PlayMSTie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2010, 03:46:13 PM »

:D :D :D
"There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal." C. S. Lewis

Bring back Bridget!

Offline Scribblesense

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • I use every color in the box. At once.
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2010, 04:01:48 PM »
I can only imagine that it gets even worse in the sequels, once there is the sense that it is "like, the best thing since EVER".  :P

Well, the production values go up steadily. They're able to afford more elaborate sets and develop more elaborate song/dance numbers as it became more popular (somewhat apparent in the second film and since the third is a theatrical release the budget probably skyrocketed).

The director, Kenny Ortega, isn't bad at what he does, either. I feel he was responsible for the film's success (so yeah, he's the one to blame) in that he has some talent but it could be put to better use. He also directed This Is It (the Michael Jackson documentary that went from direct-to-DVD to Theaters after his death) which I've never actually seen but have heard is passable (despite its overplayed subject matter).

But honestly, no amount of money and not the greatest director in the world can make up for the fact that it's a musical about High School. About shallow and spoiled High School kids with limited acting experience (Zac Efron once played young Simon Tam in Firefly! But that doesn't count for much).

And they're singing. About. Every. Thing. And they won't. Shut. Up.

So, yeah, unless you're into that sort of thing, it isn't enjoyable.
"Hey, you kids! Those boxes are for shipping! Not for creating a world of pure imagination!"

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2010, 04:53:52 PM »
Ortega directed this?!

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 543
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2010, 04:58:48 PM »

:clap: :clap:

DOUBLE  :clap: :clap:  :D

Offline Moca Java

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2010, 07:21:56 PM »
I feel so unclean just watching that sample. I don't know if I can make it through the entire movie but damn it,  I will try!  :speechless:

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3899
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2010, 07:32:50 PM »
I had this POS reauthored by 4pm EST today ready to watch but I still haven't brought myself to be able to watch it yet; not even the sample :-[ :'(