login

Author Topic: "Game of Thrones" - HBO Series Coming in 2011  (Read 118264 times)

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 629
Re: "Game of Thrones" - HBO Series Coming in 2011
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2011, 02:42:08 PM »
I don't know...I think 5 would be a generous estimate, haha. As for the rest; they might be fuckbags, but they're good at it and they're entertaining. Killing them off would deprive us of further fuckbaggery...and then I would be sad. :( <- see, sad. I'm just drawn to brutality and deplorable human behavior. the less I can relate to a character, it seems, the better.
Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2011, 06:54:04 AM »
I would like to disagree about as passionately, and emphatically as one possibly could about both Martin's prose being nothing fancy (which I admit is subjective once you get past 'competent') and about losing nothing if you don't read the books. The changes have been subtle, but they're extreme enough where I'm now treating the book and the show as separate entities. The show is still good, but as Imrahil said, they've given the characters moral facelifts...this is a bad thing in my book, as the nastiness, the ambiguity, all of that wonderful self-serving ego were major draws for me. I've quite literally cringed when I've seen them pull punches.

I agree completely.  And I also find it baffling why HBO would do this in the first place.  It's not like they haven't had other successful shows with utterly vile and morally reprehensible lead characters.  This is right in their wheelhouse and it's strange for them to make such changes.

Maybe it's because there's so much ground to cover that the excessive villainy has been dropped. They're sacrificing character development in order to keep the story moving.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2011, 04:40:37 PM »
Never read the books and I did not find the pilot episode confusing.   Maybe because the opening credits did such a good job of showing the layout of the all the towns (which probably filled up numerous uber-nerd pages in the books!   :P)

So far, enjoying it.   

Offline TTYT

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2011, 01:00:21 PM »

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
That gif rules. Peter Dinklage rules.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2011, 04:54:53 PM »
Wow, LOTS of back story in that episode!

I felt like I needed to take note.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2011, 02:49:43 PM »
I made a little T-shirt design today based on this:
http://www.zazzle.com/lannisters_keep_it_in_the_family_tshirt-235044463530929331

I thought about using wurwolf'd "Twincest" as a header, but figured that'd probably be less t-shirt friendly.  Still, might do it as a variant, until they yank it for copyright infringement.

HAHAHAHA that's awesome!  :clap:
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 103
  • RAAAADDDDD!
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2011, 07:47:19 PM »

Let's ramp up the Tyrion-ownage of the Joff:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/qYNeT2nzEgA?fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/qYNeT2nzEgA?fs=1</a>

Loving the show, and could've the "water dance" been portrayed anymore perfect?

But damn, did the first book rule. From Arya's final story on, that was amazing. I immediately had to delve into CoK. What an addicting series!   :)

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein

Offline Nergol

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2011, 12:26:27 AM »
*SPOILER*

(I haven't read the books, so I don't know the story farther ahead than the current episode)

Just finished episode 4, and...

I'm guessing that Lady Stark may have overplayed her hand a bit having Tyrion arrested. She'd need some very solid evidence to go after a Lannister, and all she has is a secondhand story that the dagger used to attack Bram was owned by Tyrion at one point. So the Lannisters can just say he lost it, or gambled it away again, or that it was stolen. Case closed. After all, not only do the Lannisters have no apparent motive for attacking Bram (as long as he doesn't remember what he saw in the tower), but Tyrion especially doesn't.

This could put Ned in a very, very bad spot, just when he doesn't need it.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2011, 05:20:18 AM »
Still enjoying the show, but having a devil of a time remembering who anyone's name actually is as all the characters have these "fantasy sounding" first names.   I know you have to keep them all with the same names as the books, but to those of us who have not read the books, it makes it all very confusing.

And who was the guy they said was the enouch?   I could not catch the name and went to IMDB and could not find anyone close.

Thanks.

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • RAAAADDDDD!
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2011, 05:40:36 AM »

And who was the guy they said was the enouch?   I could not catch the name and went to IMDB and could not find anyone close.

Thanks.

That would be Varys.   

Finally, a Hodor sighting this past Sunday. Yes.   

I cannot wait for the Eyrie ascent, and later on, sky cells! Massive ownage possibly on its way!   :)

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2011, 05:50:12 AM »

Thanks.

That would be Varys.   

Finally, a Hodor sighting this past Sunday. Yes.   

I cannot wait for the Eyrie ascent, and later on, sky cells! Massive ownage possibly on its way!   :)

Varys.... cannot find the character in the listing in IMDB..... who is that that again?

Thanks.

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • RAAAADDDDD!
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2011, 06:06:15 AM »

He's a part of the King's small council and known as the "master of whisperers". He hears everything, and is quite the wildcard in GoT.

Rockin' character.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2011, 07:44:15 AM »
Still enjoying the show, but having a devil of a time remembering who anyone's name actually is as all the characters have these "fantasy sounding" first names.

Like "Catelyn" and "Jaime" and "Ned"? Yeah, I hear you.

Cersei, Tywin, Ser, Daenerys, Viserys..... yeah, those are a bit much for the casual viewer.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2011, 08:29:45 AM »