Author Topic: This is Your Brain on MST3K  (Read 1961 times)

Offline WeatherServo9

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
  • I like my family - as a friend!
This is Your Brain on MST3K
« on: June 22, 2010, 12:55:24 PM »
I wrote last year about the time I saw a headline regarding American Idol with the word "Mitchell" in it and immediately thought of Joe Don Baker in a karaoke contest. 

Today, this photo was on Digg (that's the space shuttle launch as seen by skydivers), and I immediately thought of Coleman Francis and Tony Cardoza and how they only wish they could skydive like that.  They also probably wish they could send in the police to open fire on the space shuttle for some inexplicable reason.

So my premise for this thread is the following: what are any general or specific things you come across in life that have nothing to do with MST3K but immediately remind you of something from an MST3K movie, short or the show itself?
Not everybody is Steve!

Offline Zeether

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 18
Re: This is Your Brain on MST3K
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 08:19:40 PM »
Any time I hear about the Packers I get the uncontrollable urge to yell "PACKERS WON THE SUPER BOWL!"

Also if I hear about Peter Graves either Crow's play about him or his speech from It Conquered The World enters my head.
"Don't make me shoot you...CROOOOOOOOOW!"

Offline Crow T. Robot 666

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
  • Do not offend the chair leg of truth.
    • Teeth of the Divine
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 07:11:16 PM »
I'm glad I never have to talk to anyone named Ted Nelson due to my love of The Incredible Melting Man.  That song will not leave my head.  Ted, Nelson!

Offline Action Batch

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 66
  • Hogwashologist
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 08:49:13 AM »
Lots of times when someone shares with me a factoid or tidbit of information, I'll come back with "Verrrrry innnnnteresting...but schtoopid."

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 103
  • RAAAADDDDD!
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 01:14:32 PM »
I'm glad I never have to talk to anyone named Ted Nelson due to my love of The Incredible Melting Man.  That song will not leave my head.  Ted, Nelson!

Crackers?!! They're, of all likes, akin to the "cracker sketch". I always chuckle when I see them on any account. That and Raging Bull...

:)

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein

Offline WeatherServo9

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 01:14:02 AM »
Also if I hear about Peter Graves either Crow's play about him or his speech from It Conquered The World enters my head.

Peter learned too late that man is a feeling creature, or was it a thinking creature, or...oh forget it.

Between It Conquered, Beginning of the End and Clonus MST3K pretty much ruined any shot Peter ever had of being taken seriously by me.  Not that that was anything he would have ever cared about.
Not everybody is Steve!

Offline WeatherServo9

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 10:03:06 PM »
So I was listening to Living on Earth, an NPR program, when they launched into this segment all about seaweed.  Sargassum, to be specific.  In fact, they say the word sargassum about 1500 times in this short segment. 

While listening to this the first time, every time someone said sargassum all I could think of was "the weed of deceit." 
Not everybody is Steve!

Offline doctorsuarez

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 09:14:50 PM »
Oh god... it's ruined my brain.

Mitchell, obviously.

I live in LA, so I see/hear "manos" a lot.  Totally ruined. 

Any time I see any goofy shots of objects moving themselves, I think "Trumpy, you can do stupid things!"

From the same movie, any time someone says "Chief" I follow with "McLeod!"

And again, a big OK gesture makes me think "It stinks!"

I can't say "torture", I have to say "TOHT-CHA!" (from Teenagers from Outer Space"

And from Overdrawn, I find myself occasionally wondering "Is it sexy?"

Man, I need a lobotomy.

UncleDes

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 06:55:27 PM »
Any time I see a cricket: "....say goodbye to my 10,000 kiiiiiiiids"

Des

Offline Bus Taker

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 110
  • "We're a danger to ourselves and others"
    • Music site
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 11:33:47 PM »
Every night I tell my wife "Time for go to bed!"
When spooning coffee into the filter I count "1, 2, 2, 2"
Driving down steep hills, my wife says "weee" and I reply "nobody says weee!"
Wife and I frequently use the PACKERS schtick.

I'm sure I can think of more, but my current masterpiece...

A plant with tubular leaves at my office got it's own name tag:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 11:35:52 PM by Bus Taker »
"I can't complain but sometimes I still do, life's been good to me so far." - Joe Walsh

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 380
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 12:51:50 AM »
I think I'm starting to subliminally pick up "HAWK!" or "HAWKS!" cuz that's what I think/reiterate when I hear someone mention it. The reason why I say subliminally is because (I've been meaning to ask since) I don't know which movie it's referring to.  Little help?   :-\  And please don't take my MST3k nerd cred away from me.  I have so much stock in it already!

I'll think of more cuz I'm sure there's plenty.

Offline FordPrefect

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 04:24:36 AM »
I think I'm starting to subliminally pick up "HAWK!" or "HAWKS!" cuz that's what I think/reiterate when I hear someone mention it. The reason why I say subliminally is because (I've been meaning to ask since) I don't know which movie it's referring to.  Little help?   :-\  And please don't take my MST3k nerd cred away from me.  I have so much stock in it already!

I'm pretty sure that's from the Rifftrax for Over The Top.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 380
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 12:29:52 PM »

I'm pretty sure that's from the Rifftrax for Over The Top.
Oh good. I have that one.  I haven't heard it since it came out and remember little to nothing about the riff (other than I enjoyed it somewhat).  Looks like I gotta watch it again.

Offline WeatherServo9

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 12:34:02 PM »
Then there's this story today out of Belgium. 

I guess she skipped the whole using acid step.  I'd say something about life imitating art, but then Skydivers isn't exactly art.  I also assume lots of coffee was involved somehow.
Not everybody is Steve!