Author Topic: Challenge -- "Manos: The Hands of Fate"  (Read 2943 times)

Offline Super Monkey Death Car

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
  • HOO-HOO-HA and a HOKA-HOKA-HEY!
Challenge -- "Manos: The Hands of Fate"
« on: September 15, 2010, 01:23:17 PM »
The MST gang has done it.

We're all fans of it.

Everyone wants to be Torgo, it seems.

And now, thanks to the internet, you can download the entire movie from public doman for free, legally.

So let's see what kind of treatment you can give it:

http://www.archive.org/details/manos_the_hands_of_fate
REQUEST ACCESS TO CLU PROGRAM
CODE 6 PASSWORD TO MEMORY 0222

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 212
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
Re: Challenge -- "Manos: The Hands of Fate"
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 01:00:22 PM »
I think the one main problem with this is that, no matter what anyone came up with, it would be compared to MST, unfairly or no.  Even if you don't think it's their best episode (I think it's up there, but some people have noted the movie is just too boring to sit through, even with Joel and the bots), it's simply too famous of a riff for most people to give a second treatment of it more than a quick glance.

Of course, anyone who DID do it would have to go in with the mentality of, "I did it, I don't regret it...here's the toast you ordered."   ;)
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 07:34:38 AM »
I agree with SJP.  I mean, when the rifftrax guys redid What About Juvenile Delinquency? (the first MST3k thing I ever saw, back when I was in high school) I couldn't help thinking of the original quips and lines.  The new riff paled in comparison and seemed kind of awkward.  That said, I have nothing against anyone's attempt.  Curious to see if someone can do it well, though it might be best to find the extremely rare fan who didn't see this episode.

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 02:40:13 PM »
Just a question about the download....is it complete?  I've seen other copies of this online before and they're always missing the beginning at least.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 212
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 05:31:24 PM »
Just a question about the download....is it complete?  I've seen other copies of this online before and they're always missing the beginning at least.

Not sure.  I know I bought an el-cheapo DVD edition awhile back, and it starts with the car pulling off to the side of the road instead of them driving.  It's not missing a whole lot as far as I can tell, but enough to be noticeable.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 06:00:45 PM »

Not sure.  I know I bought an el-cheapo DVD edition awhile back, and it starts with the car pulling off to the side of the road instead of them driving.  It's not missing a whole lot as far as I can tell, but enough to be noticeable.

Yeah, that's the copy I keep seeing everywhere.

Weird that MST got a full copy of it but the DVD company couldn't.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 09:14:15 AM »

Oh god, the driving scenes and Shirely Bassey signing are missing?    That is like missing the first ten minues of "Memento".

* sarcasm mode working overtime *

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 02:16:11 PM »

Oh god, the driving scenes and Shirely Bassey signing are missing?    That is like missing the first ten minues of "Memento".

No, your fears are exaggerated.  It does however lose the opening action sequence where you wonder if Mr. Fertilizer is going to make his left hand turn against traffic!!!   It goes straight into the debate about putting the car top up.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2512
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 02:38:32 PM »

No, your fears are exaggerated.  It does however lose the opening action sequence where you wonder if Mr. Fertilizer is going to make his left hand turn against traffic!!!   It goes straight into the debate about putting the car top up.

Just took a look, and looks like this is the same copy.  Starts abruptly with the putting the top up conversation and "The dog is sharp again, mommy."
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Super Monkey Death Car

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
  • HOO-HOO-HA and a HOKA-HOKA-HEY!
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 12:49:36 PM »
I just watched the beginning. Some little bugger did snip the beginning off. That is irritating, even for a horrible movie.

....well, I guess we can see what the riffers can do with what's there...even though it's like reading a Spider Man comic with the first three pages torn out...
REQUEST ACCESS TO CLU PROGRAM
CODE 6 PASSWORD TO MEMORY 0222